Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 104 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by PinballAir
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_3532 (resized).JPG
    100_3533 (resized).JPG
    100_3526 (resized).JPG
    100_3529 (resized).JPG
    100_3528 (resized).JPG
    100_3527 (resized).JPG
    100_3508 (resized).JPG
    100_3506 (resized).JPG
    100_3505 (resized).JPG
    100_3493 (resized).JPG
    100_3478 (resized).JPG
    100_3477 (resized).JPG
    100_3475 (resized).JPG
    100_3463 (resized).JPG
    100_3433 (resized).JPG
    100_3432 (resized).JPG
    There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 6 years ago

I know it is not pinball but it IS Williams and it is EM.

Picked this up a while ago. Have begun restoration. I would expect this one to go very slowly.

100_2118 (resized).JPG100_2118 (resized).JPG

100_2119 (resized).JPG100_2119 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Bad news is Steve at BGResto already told me he could not repop the marquis because it is plastic.
    I have a ways to go before I get there so by them I hope to have plan "B".

#3 6 years ago

I realized quickly It was not complete. The amp was missing. It goes in the lower left hand corner .

100_2784 (resized).JPG100_2784 (resized).JPG

#4 6 years ago

I picked up 2 RCA , RP 168 "parts" phonographs on craigslist for free. The turntable assembly on the Music Mite is a variation of the RP 168.
    I needed an amp so I bought a RP190 (45-EY-2) phonograph for the amp. It did not work but was complete.

100_2930 (resized).JPG100_2930 (resized).JPG

#5 6 years ago

I removed the 3 tube amp from the RP 190. I had a sheet metal guy make up a base that would fit into the Music Mite. I purchased a cap and resistor kit on ebay and refurbished the amp. It did now make sound but did not pick up the sound from a record. I adapted the 3 tube amp to my new base. Pictures are in reverse order.100_3254 (resized).JPG100_3254 (resized).JPG100_3254 (resized).JPG100_3254 (resized).JPG

100_3047 (resized).JPG100_3047 (resized).JPG
    100_3213 (resized).JPG100_3213 (resized).JPG
    100_3215 (resized).JPG100_3215 (resized).JPG

#6 6 years ago

Victory Glass has the repro glass-$50.

#7 6 years ago

nice!!!

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

Victory Glass has the repro glass-$50.

FrankJ thank you so much I will order that tonight.

#9 6 years ago

I ordered the marquis, I wish they had a picture of it on the website.

I am now going to order a cartridge. Next step is to get it to produce sound from a record. Once that is accomplished I will transplant the amp from the RP190 into the Music Mite and begin the mechanical work.

I am looking for some other parts if anyone has a source:
    Clear plastic curved cover
    Metal piece that holds the record labels
    Back panel
    Base unit.

If I cannot find these I plan to simply make them.

#10 6 years ago

I’d call Victory Glass and ask them about parts. Just like pinball, there is a whole network of people making parts. I’ve been out of it too long to know or remember the players.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

call Victory Glass

Again, thanks for the advice. I will certainly give them a call.
    It is all new to me so I have been watching "the Antique Radio Forum" and trying to build a list of vendors and contacts.
    The gentleman I got the 2 RCA RP -168 parts machines from is a collector and he was intrigued with the Music Mite.
    I have already reached out to him a couple of times for guidance.

#12 6 years ago

I purchased a cartridge from Voice of Music. I installed it and it played its first record in a long time. Tracking was bad and I think I added too much weight> ( SEE white stripe on record from where the needle travelled) .
    None of this matters. The amp works and will produce music. I will now remove the amp and mount it into the Music Mite.

100_3274 (resized).JPG100_3274 (resized).JPG

#13 6 years ago

I will be ordering a manual that I hope will contain a schematic. There seem to be several sources. I would like to get it from Victory Glass but they have a $25 minimum. I wish I knew that before ordering the backglass as I would have ordered it then.

#14 6 years ago

Opened it all up today.
    Pretty dirty inside. No manual yet and I am not ready to power it up.
    There are 2 steppers, credit on left and selection on the right.
    The credit stepper is not just "gummed" up it is locked up tighter than a bulls ass at fly time.

100_3278 (resized).JPG100_3278 (resized).JPG

#15 6 years ago

The pictures look better than it does in person. I removed the stepper and began cleaning it up.

100_3300 (resized).JPG100_3300 (resized).JPG

#16 6 years ago

I received the new Marquee.
    It is printed on what I would call "placemat" material and is not cut for coin slot or fasteners HOWEVER, it is a huge improvement over the one that came with the machine.
    Still looking for coil stops and manual.

New Marquis (resized).JPGNew Marquis (resized).JPG

#17 6 years ago

Since Williams made it, and the stepper appears to be typical Williams parts, wouldn’t it use WMS coils stops from that era? I’d give Steve Young at PBR a call. He might even have a schematic for it.

#18 6 years ago

I do agree the stops would be same. Why would they make others?
    I will call Steve tomorrow and see if he has the stops.
    I am pretty sure I asked him on one of my last emails if he had the manual and he said no.

It is available in several formats from 10 pages to 20 pages.
    I have a manual for the RP-168 phonograph on it.
    There is a downloadable version of it for $10 but I wanted to check out the website before ordering.

Most, if not all of the sources for the manual indicate that the schematic is difficult to read in places.

This is the phonograph mech with the record counter mechanism.

Phonograph and counter mech (resized).JPGPhonograph and counter mech (resized).JPG

#19 6 years ago

Credit unit cleaned and lubed

Clean credit unit (1) (resized).JPGClean credit unit (1) (resized).JPG

Clean credit unit (2) (resized).JPGClean credit unit (2) (resized).JPG

1 week later
    #20 6 years ago

Removed selector unit. I do not like to separate the bakolite panel but in this case it was a chance I had to take. On other games I have cut the wires and added a molex plug. It just makes it easier to service in the future. There simply was not enough slack in the wire to add the male female plug. It was also ridiculous to unsolder the wires because to do that I had to remove the bakolite panel.

100_3328 (resized).JPG100_3328 (resized).JPG

Clean selector unit (resized).JPGClean selector unit (resized).JPG

#21 6 years ago

That coil on the selector unit is a W-25B. It is not available from any sources I can find. The machine also has a W-25 coil. I do not know if there is a difference. I will order a "modern" replacement from PBR.

I am also still looking for coil stops. I may have source in PA. If I cannot find them I will adapt something else.

I did some cleaning of the wood inside the cabinet. If you look at one of the previous photos you will see how dirty it was . It cleaned up much better than I thought it would.

I will reprint all of the labeling in the base when I am near completion.

half of base is clean (resized).JPGhalf of base is clean (resized).JPG

#22 6 years ago

I received the manual for the machine and a schematic. I was warned that much of the drawing is not legible. It is true. Also, the manual has some useful info but is basically fluff.

#23 6 years ago

I love this thing!
    I want one.

E

1 week later
    #24 6 years ago

Just found this thread. Following. Keep up the great work!

#25 6 years ago

Thanks.
    I have ordered some original coils (used) from Steve at pbr.
    I also ordered some original stops (used) from a pinhead in PA.
    As soon as I have the parts I will reassemble base electronics and move onto the cabinet electronics and the record player assembly.

#26 6 years ago

I received the coils and stops.
    I finessed the new ( used) coil onto the selector unit. It was slightly different.

The stops are another story. Same height and the same construction with a fiberous material on either side of the bracket. The stop itself is the right length. The issue is the bracket. I am not concerned that it is wider but I cannot use it unless I fill and re-drill the holes. I have access to a drill press so I am not so concerned about drilling but I am concerned about filling.

I would like to braze the holes closed but my fear is the heat will burn up the fiberous material.
    If I weld the holes shut the heat will be less but then the grinding will add more heat.

These stops are made of unobtainium. The handful of incorrect ones are the best I think I can do. I will be searching Allentown but that is 4 months away.

New coil stops (resized).JPGNew coil stops (resized).JPG

New used coil (resized).JPGNew used coil (resized).JPG

#27 6 years ago

Bummer. Here's hoping for a workable solution pre-Allentown.

#28 6 years ago

Grind off the head of the rivet, and rivet the "new" stop to the old bracket.

I can make you a new rivet.

E

rivet (resized).jpgrivet (resized).jpg

#29 6 years ago

Sweeeeeet.
    Is the rivet something I can pick up locally?
    I have some tubular rivets already but I did not think they would work.

#30 6 years ago

I am attaching more pictures.
    I believe the peened over section is just the end of the shaft that extends out of the rear of the stop itself.

100_3355 (resized).JPG100_3355 (resized).JPG

100_3356 (resized).JPG100_3356 (resized).JPG

100_3357 (resized).JPG100_3357 (resized).JPG

#31 6 years ago

The resolution of the close up pics is not as clear as I would like but here are a few more.

100_3361 (resized).JPG100_3361 (resized).JPG

100_3359 (resized).JPG100_3359 (resized).JPG

100_3358 (resized).JPG100_3358 (resized).JPG

#32 6 years ago

Closer examination shows that the newer one looks to have been "reset" by re-hammering the shaft extension. On the original it looks machine set with a tooled finish. The newer one looks hammered.

#33 6 years ago

Way couldn't you just slot the holes.

#34 6 years ago

For some odd reason I thought that was a rivet.
    And making a rivet is no big deal. BUT..........
    They look to be the same as flipper solenoid stops. (DUH).

Guss is right. I believe that slotting the holes would be the most effective and easy way to do this.

E

#35 6 years ago

I did think of this as well.
    It is not the way I would like to go but it will prevent exposing the filler material from being exposed to excessive heat.
    If I keep the slotting to close tolerances the stops will not "slide" up or down.

#36 6 years ago

Ok, I bit the bullet and elongated the holes. I was as careful as possible and they came out ok. The picture makes the holes look straighter than they are.

100_3365 (resized).JPG100_3365 (resized).JPG

#37 6 years ago

I had one original stop and then I had to drill the other 3. I had to grind down the last one because the new ones are wider and interfered with one another. I still hope to find original stops in usable condition at Allentown. I reassembled the base unit. All of the mechs are working. I will be moving onto the cabinet machinery next.

100_3375 (resized).JPG100_3375 (resized).JPG

100_3370 (resized).JPG100_3370 (resized).JPG

100_3368 (resized).JPG100_3368 (resized).JPG

#38 6 years ago

The base unit is assembled , bagged and stored. The restoration of the base is not complete but it is ready to have power applied.

I am moving on to the cabinet mechanicals.
    These photos are of the Riser motor and arm up, arm down. This assembly is what makes this different from a standard RCA RP-168. I have not figured out yet whether the system can distinguish between one record and another or if it has to re-lift and count out for each record played.

The arm lifts the stack of 10 records . The buttons on the face of the machine ( 1 thru 10) stay activated until each chosen record plays. Each button is deactivated by a coil when the record is played. So, I not sure if the machine will play all that are activated on a single lift or if it must re-lift and count thru the stack to play each selection

100_3377 (resized).JPG100_3377 (resized).JPG

100_3379 (resized).JPG100_3379 (resized).JPG

100_3380 (resized).JPG100_3380 (resized).JPG

#39 6 years ago

I have removed the entire record player and associated parts.
    These are photos of the empty cabinet ( I am going to have to find more of that scalloped gold material...)
    The other photo shows the record player and the other side of the "riser" motor.

100_3389 (resized).JPG100_3389 (resized).JPG

100_3395 (resized).JPG100_3395 (resized).JPG

#40 6 years ago

I have 2 spare RP-168 phonographs to draw from.
    I need the idler wheel and the motor mounts.
    I will be disassembling this one and checking the older ones to see if the parts are any good.
    If not, Voice Of Music has refurbished wheels and new motor mounts.

1 week later
    #41 6 years ago

I have the entire record player assembly out. The lift motor spins freely. The wiring all looks intact. The only issue on this assembly with wiring is the needle/cartridge is missing and the wires look chaffed. The record player motor also spins freely. I found it interesting that on the other 3 phonographs the motors spin freely and the turntable spins. On the Music Mite the turntable did not spin in spite of the motor spinning freely. Once the assembly was out I could peek in at the mechanicals. I could see the issue. It is easier to explain in photos.

100_3403 (resized).JPG100_3403 (resized).JPG

100_3406 (resized).JPG100_3406 (resized).JPG

#42 6 years ago

The shaft out of the turntable motor spins against the larger surface of the idler wheel. The smaller upper section of the idler contacts the plate. The rubber had dented from resting in the same place on the shaft for so long. I think someone forced the platter to turn and the upper rubber section was destroyed. I will send this out for refurbishing and purchase new motor mounts at the same time.

100_3407 (resized).JPG100_3407 (resized).JPG

#43 6 years ago

Just so you don't feel like you're uploading these pictures into a void, I am following along, amazed by your tenacity to get this thing working, and thankful there are folks like you preserving these old gems. Keep up the great work and thanks for documenting your progress!

Sincerely,
    Ryan

#44 6 years ago

Yes' me too.

#45 6 years ago

Thanks Guys.
    I am happy to know that someone is watching this happen.
    I think it will be a good record for anyone else who might get one of these and attempt to restore it.
    It is a fun project.
    Cliff

#46 6 years ago

I like jukes but they have always given me a headache. I like that this one is built more like a pinball. This mini machines are just charming anyway. I have a buddy that has the Music Mite and Ristaucrat in his collection.

#47 6 years ago

I'm watching as well. Way beyond what I think I could do, but very interesting to watch the progress.

Plus the machine is super cool.

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

I like that this one is built more like a pinball

I probably would not take on a traditional juke box for several reasons.
    Space would be a major reason. Like most pinheads I have limited space.
    I would not be willing to give up the real estate that could be taken up by another machine.

I too like that this one is like a pinball and there is not a huge investment in making the player part of it work. A true Juke would require an investment in parts and tools well beyond what I have already.

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from heatwave:

Way beyond what I think I could do

Its a hobby. If you think you would enjoy it then go ahead and try. What have you got to loose.
    In the end you are bound to learn something new and land up with something you enjoy.

#50 6 years ago

I was working on this last night in my garage.
    My son ran over the cabinet with his mothers SUV reducing the cabinet to splinters.

There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-music-mite-restoration?hl=pinslot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.