Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by louknees
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I just picked up a Williams millionaire and when I brought it home and connected the head and cabinet when I fire them game up there is an extremely loud humming coming from the cabinet. The humming goes for about 10 seconds, becomes intermittent and then starts up again. I turned the machine off after like 15 seconds.

The display reads fine, no switch errors. I didn't want to fire up a game because I don't know if this a sound issue or a power issue. This is my first system 11 game.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Lou

#2 10 years ago

I just had my Pin-Bot professionally repaired (it is also system 11) and the guy deliberately showed me the game on with 1 screw holding the main board in, then 2 screws then 3 ect. Each time he tightened another screw, the humming dropped drastically. Is it possible that you don't have the board grounded fully? I hope its a simple fix, my Pin-Bot still hums a bit as well.

#3 10 years ago

It's definitely not a sound issue, because the lights and everything flash when the game goes intermittent.

I double checked the ground wire that screws into the backbox and retightened it and nothing changed. going to try to track down the where that ground wire goes and look at that end.

thanks

#4 10 years ago

Make sure all the screws on the boards are in and tight. It's a common issue...

#5 10 years ago

I had a connector mixed up in the cabinet. They were the same size same number of pins. Just had them crossed. Everything is a okay! Thanks

#6 10 years ago

That's why the connectors usually have keys in them.

#7 10 years ago

Agreed, but unfortunately Williams Sys 11 pins have a few connectors that are not keyed and are easily mixed up. Two on the sound board and I think two on the left side of the MPU.

#8 10 years ago

Wow, poor design. Is there room to make a key?

#9 10 years ago

The sound card could be keyed, but the MPU connectors are both 4 pin with all pins used.

#10 10 years ago

That sux, to easy to make mistakes just like that.

#11 10 years ago

There are a few 4 pin connectors that aren't keyed that could go to the MPU and the sound board like dothedoo stated. I didn't break the machine down so I wasn't sure where these pieces went, not to mention there is an extra femal 4 pin connector that is supposed to go to a external rotating flasher beacon that they put on exported games...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-millionaire-loud-humming-issue-system-11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.