Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by MD_Pinball_Dude
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
Grand Prix Alternator unit (resized).jpg
match unit (resized).jpg

#1 8 days ago

I've searched thru other posts, and know that others have looked for a replacement activator plate and lever that goes on the little WMS match unit. My Grand Prix is missing the entire plate.

Does anybody know where I can find a new or used replacement?

If I can't find a replacement, I'm considering some sort of work around that would at least toggle the lamps that are normally switched thru the bonus unit, by wiring the little bonus unit switch to something else, like maybe the ball count unit. Has anybody else done that sort of work around?

Thanks for any suggestions!

P.S. The pic is from Clay's Pinrepair.com website... I hope he doesn't mind.

match unit (resized).jpg
#2 8 days ago

What do you mean about the bonus unit? Isn't he match unit the one with the issue?

#3 8 days ago

Oh crap yes, sorry.... I said "bonus" and meant "match"!

Thanks for the catch!

#4 8 days ago

Grand Prix is a later Williams game running on 24VAC so you could probably swap in a fabled Gottlieb AS relay with the appropriate match unit boards and wipers. They may be more available (used) than the one you have.

/Mark

#5 8 days ago

If you don't find one sooner check in with me in about a week. I am in the process of cleaning up my storage & work areas and I'll keep my eyes open for you. I know I don't currently have a complete Match Unit but I might have one for parts somewhere

#6 8 days ago

At one point they were available at flippers.com

#7 8 days ago

What does the match unit toggle? I'm having trouble remembering..

Regardless, you could probably wire it to alternate with the ball on okay like the bonus collect light does without too much effort

#8 8 days ago

I may not be describing it exactly correct, but I believe the switch on the match unit, which is sequenced by the 10 point relay, activates the "change" relay, which toggles the advance right or left switches at the top of the playfield and the special lamps at the outlanes. So I think hitting either of the two stationary switches at the top of the playfield or the slingshots will toggle the change relay.

For most people, probably not a major game changer, but I still like the idea of those features at least changing during gameplay. Like you suggested, I thought a likely candidate was trying to tie the state of the change relay to the alternating relay. I don't really care about the match function itself.

#9 8 days ago

https://www.flippers.com/catalog/product_info.php/ratchet-armature-assy-p-2208

I think this is it, based on the parts manual numbers at PPS.

#10 8 days ago

The schematic shows an Alternator Unit used in the coin handling circuit although the manual doesn't mention it.
Grand Prix Alternator unit (resized).jpg
If you have one and don't care about the specific pricing on your game you might be able to rewire that alternator to toggle your Change relay whenever the 10 point (or 100 or 1000 point) relay fires.

#11 7 days ago

Looking at the schematic, there's the change relay, which is for the match unit, and there's the alternator relay, which is for the ball count. It would probably work to just jumper from B-R-3 to G-R-2, to make the two relays work together.

pasted_image (resized).png
#12 7 days ago

too-many-pins - thanks for looking; I plan to be at the York show in a month, so if you find something maybe we can meet up there.

EMsInKC - thanks for the lead at flippers.com; I've asked them to confirm if the part they have is correct for Grand Prix.

MarkG and zacaj - yes, both interesting ideas about tying the change relay to something other than the match unit switch. And I might be able to pull an old AS relay off a parts machine. It would be nice to be able to toggle the advance bonus and special lights as they were originally intended.

Thanks for all the help guys!

#13 7 days ago
Quoted from spclwhenlit:

too-many-pins - thanks for looking; I plan to be at the York show in a month, so if you find something maybe we can meet up there.
EMsInKC - thanks for the lead at flippers.com; I've asked them to confirm if the part they have is correct for Grand Prix.
MarkG and zacaj - yes, both interesting ideas about tying the change relay to something other than the match unit switch. And I might be able to pull an old AS relay off a parts machine. It would be nice to be able to toggle the advance bonus and special lights as they were originally intended.
Thanks for all the help guys!

You can confirm that at PPS website. I'm sure that it is

#14 4 days ago

Thanks for posting this. My match unit just stopped working. I am not a big fan of making it work again, but the wife likes to hear the KNOCK when a match is made

#15 3 days ago
Quoted from spclwhenlit:

I've searched thru other posts, and know that others have looked for a replacement activator plate and lever that goes on the little WMS match unit. My Grand Prix is missing the entire plate.
Does anybody know where I can find a new or used replacement?
If I can't find a replacement, I'm considering some sort of work around that would at least toggle the lamps that are normally switched thru the bonus unit, by wiring the little bonus unit switch to something else, like maybe the ball count unit. Has anybody else done that sort of work around?
Thanks for any suggestions!
P.S. The pic is from Clay's Pinrepair.com website... I hope he doesn't mind.[quoted image]

Anyone sell just the plastic index gear? Mine is broken off a Williams Big Deal.

#17 2 days ago

Thanks! Just ordered a replacement unit. I will still make an engineering drawing of this unit and see how hard it is to make one from Delrin or Aluminum.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 6.00
Electronics
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 25.00
Apparel - Unisex
Project Pinball Charity
$ 27.99
£ 31.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Great American Pinball
€ 3.70
$ 19.95
$ 6.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Great American Pinball
$ 69.00
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 94.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
€ 279.00
Pinball Machine
Music City Pinball
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 209.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside