IMG_1849 (resized).jpg
IMG_1859 (resized).JPG
IMG_1860 (resized).jpg
IMG_1840 (resized).JPG
IMG_1839 (resized).JPG
IMG_1829 (resized).JPG
IMG_1858 (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

I was bored and jumped on the first EM I had seen advertised in awhile for a decent price. I took a cursory glance at the back glass and play field and the deal was done.
It showed 14,690 games total and I believe it. No nicotine haze, all steppers show Factory grease hardened tighter than "Dicks Hatband". IMG_1793 (resized).JPGIMG_1793 (resized).JPG

All 6 received "The Treatment", complete cleaning and lube, though the combination of grease from hell and tightly machined parts that had never been disassembled required hours of manipulation to avoid damage.
IMG_1809 (resized).JPGIMG_1809 (resized).JPG

Plastics were in good shape graphics wise but exhibited the characteristic "Cup" since Williams employed the plastic as support for the post and rubber ring. These will be flattened.IMG_1786 (resized).JPGIMG_1786 (resized).JPG

I used an old heat gun and 2 sheets of heavy picture frame glass.
IMG_1842 (resized).JPGIMG_1842 (resized).JPGIMG_1841 (resized).JPGIMG_1841 (resized).JPG

Every switch on every relay was cleaned, tightened and adjusted on every board,sometimes twice. Several stray wires were found loose and soldered that were missed the first time. Clean and light grease the motor cams, target motor gears, slingshot/shooter mechanisms and ball serve apparatus.

IMG_1812 (resized).jpgIMG_1812 (resized).jpg
The back glass was in remarkable shape save a nasty loss of blue and white on Widows' hat. After trying to duplicate it finally scraped the paint off and installed photographic gel material backed by translucent white.
IMG_1858 (resized).JPGIMG_1858 (resized).JPGIMG_1861 (resized).jpgIMG_1861 (resized).jpgIMG_1846 (resized).JPGIMG_1846 (resized).JPG

I cleaned the play field first with Coleman fuel, then liquid Barkeepers friend, afterwards 3 coats of 100% Carnuba. Lot of rubbing and buffing by hand. No need for touchups and very fine planking in certain areas.IMG_1829 (resized).JPGIMG_1829 (resized).JPG

#2 5 years ago

This machine deserved completely new flipper components and re-built pop bumpers.IMG_1840 (resized).JPGIMG_1840 (resized).JPGIMG_1839 (resized).JPGIMG_1839 (resized).JPG
I have many other "During restoration" pictures but unfortunately I didn't take a lot of before. Please do not hesitate to request a photo from this machine.
She turned out really nice, Happy!
IMG_1849 (resized).jpgIMG_1849 (resized).jpgIMG_1859 (resized).JPGIMG_1859 (resized).JPGIMG_1860 (resized).jpgIMG_1860 (resized).jpg

#3 5 years ago

These Williams mini 'metal' flipper games always have such nice playfield artwork. Nice find, nice work.

#4 5 years ago

Looks great.

#5 5 years ago

Thanks for the feedback! I will have a few finished photos on "Show us your EM" thread " soon.
It was a true joy working on this thing, even a 4 Player can be a classic. Wherever this thing has been stored for 50 years had heat and was free of vermin/insects. No sign of hacks or even basic shop except the score reels.
Merry Widow was a Theme in the 50's that resulted into a Movie, Song and later a Broadway play. Since this machine came out 5 weeks prior to the Kennedy assassination I am sure it received negative connotations even though the girl on on the back glass didn't look like Jackie.
At under 15000 plays the machine evidently froze up at one point, and the decision was made to store it. Some more before pictures.
IMG_1784 (resized).JPGIMG_1784 (resized).JPG
IMG_1792 (resized).jpgIMG_1792 (resized).jpg

Continued....

#6 5 years ago

Hi Phil-Lee,

John Freel came through for me!
I've got an instruction card scan for Merry Widow.
I'll create a file for you right away.

The card on the right is an A.S.C. card and can be found on my website http://www.inkochnito.nl
Look under Williams in the red section, first one from the top.

Peter

#7 5 years ago

The instruction card file is ready.
Please send me an email to receive a copy of the file.
It will be on my website at the end of the month.

Peter
http://www.inkochnito.nl

#8 5 years ago

You are the best Inkochnito! Seems I could only find 7 of these anywhere so pretty rare. I'll check out your Site and hopefully get you a donation or whatever you charge. I'm currently doing the cabinet and with these Cards, in our slang, "She will take up".

#9 5 years ago

Yeah, this is a great looking game! One of the few Williams 60s multiplayers I am yet to come across.

Great art and a nice variety of targets to shoot at. You've got drop targets, swinging targets, and standup targets. Not to mention those classic metal bats.

#10 5 years ago

Thanks Odin, I remember on one of your Post commenting how you found it interesting, I will assure you its a challenging Player. Challenging enough it may stick around for awhile, really fast with rebuilt components,especially the two "Ball shooters"
Weird goals too,like down the drops and light the two big side plastics, then hit the targets. If you light the 1000 score light you have done something.
Strange machine though, no Title or Serial number on the upper apron sticker, base of head looked original but instead of being cut out properly had a hack in the center. Really a Time Machine, I couldn't find where it had ever been serviced, little coal dust, and importantly no nicotine.
I sold my Gottliebs, only Williams or Bally now, I like them!

#11 5 years ago

Well, I still have my GTB Frontiersman and honestly it gets as much play as anything else. You might give that one a try if you can find one. Very addicting.

#12 5 years ago

You always recommend these rare ass machines nobody is going to find. Looks nice but I like a traditional flipper arrangement, which also eliminates a lot of Williams.

1 month later
#13 5 years ago

Some photos of my current Projects and a few finals for the Widow. Really nice vintage experience. Full House and Grand Prix have my full attention now, progressing nicely. Full House backglass blows my socks off.

IMG_1879 (resized).JPGIMG_1879 (resized).JPGIMG_1901 (resized).JPGIMG_1901 (resized).JPGIMG_1918 (resized).JPGIMG_1918 (resized).JPGIMG_1875 (resized).JPGIMG_1875 (resized).JPGIMG_1867 (resized).JPGIMG_1867 (resized).JPGIMG_1860 (resized).JPGIMG_1860 (resized).JPGIMG_1868 (resized).JPGIMG_1868 (resized).JPG

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-merry-widow-shotgunned and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.