(Topic ID: 189421)

Williams Match Unit Bell (from '69 Expo) - missing pieces?

By goingincirclez

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by dgAmpGuy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Expo Williams, 1969

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCF0434 (resized).JPG
20170519_133517 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Recently acquired an Expo from 1968... while debugging it I noticed the match unit has a bell (pretty hard to miss, actually) but no mech for striking it. I've only worked on a handful of other EMs and while I'm familiar with the base mechs of these units, I've never seen a bell attached:

20170519_133517 (resized).jpg20170519_133517 (resized).jpg

This game does have a scoring bell in its lower cab, and it works.

On Expo this match unit is used to advance a numeric "selection" feature on the playfield every time any pop bumper and/or certain standups are hit. I watched a couple vids and sure enough, I realized a second bell was ringing every time the selection advanced.

Seems like this could be acheived by having a link connected to the step-up mech.

So can anyone tell me what the piece looked like and how it was connected?

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

while debugging it I noticed the match unit has a bell (pretty hard to miss, actually) but no mech for striking it.

Gotta have a 1 point bell. Just gotta.

Here is a pic. Williams part number 1A-3610.

http://www.planetarypinball.com/reference/partsmanuals/WMS_Parts_1971-1972/files/mobile/index.html#13

DSCF0434 (resized).JPGDSCF0434 (resized).JPG

If you look closely you will see that it is attached with an E-Clip and a spring on the Match Unit.

Expo is a fun game trying to get the two posts up and three gates open. Enjoy!!

Let me know if you need more help.

#3 6 years ago

Ah, that confirms my suspicion. Thank you!

I imagine that one part isn't normal obtanium, so I'll probably place a call in the EM parts thread before trying to fabricate my own.

Expo seems odd but possibly fun in a different way. I never heard of it until a saw a beater for sale and was fascinated by the art. It also looked very odd with almost nothing to shoot for, so I guess you need to keep the ball alive long enough to rack up selection lights and increase your odds of matching a spin? Definitely not the typical pin game.

Not sure it's a keeper and I probably overpaid a bit for condition but I was too intrigued to pass it up. I enjoyed the clunky games I played before teardown, there is some potential there. I got all the gameplay functions working and the nicotine off the cabinet. Playfield needs some minor touchup which should be easy compared to my past efforts.

Thanks for the help offers! I think it was your video I referenced to figure out the bells. Nice website write-up too. I love the switch to red lane guides and will probably do the same.

#4 6 years ago

Ha, incredibly Marco actually had the part. I'd previously searched for "match unit" and got nothing... searched for "bell" and immediately recognized the part sketch amongst the results. For $7 that beats the aggravation of making my own.

3 years later
#5 3 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Ha, incredibly Marco actually had the part. I'd previously searched for "match unit" and got nothing... searched for "bell" and immediately recognized the part sketch amongst the results. For $7 that beats the aggravation of making my own.

If anyone else is looking for this part, I think it's Williams part number 1A-3610

https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=1A-3610

#6 3 years ago

PBR had it at one time as well. The little spring is the piece of unobtainium. I was able to buy one and then it was “no longer available”.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-match-unit-bell-from-69-expo-missing-pieces?hl=dgampguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.