Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by undrdog
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    image-4 (resized).jpg
    Match Units (resized).jpg
    CA3B605A-3432-4330-82E9-B82F53B86E95 (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

Is this the part that is supposed to strike the one point bell, or am I missing a piece?

You can’t tell from this angle, but it misses the edge of the bell.

CA3B605A-3432-4330-82E9-B82F53B86E95 (resized).jpegCA3B605A-3432-4330-82E9-B82F53B86E95 (resized).jpeg
    #2 3 years ago

I think you are missing a piece. Looks like a thick, loose fitting metal "clapper" hangs there to ding the bell. Maybe it fell off and rolled under the cab floor - worth a check. Looks like you could make one similar from some round stock (complete with what looks like a chamfered hole). Or perhaps you could just find some fender washers of appropriate size and glue them in a stack to make it work?
    Match Units (resized).jpgMatch Units (resized).jpg

#3 3 years ago

Guess I’m taking up the cab floor- never done that before. Hopefully, the part it floats on comes off. Feeling behind it, it feels like it’s riveted on. That unit has to be cleaned anyway, but I was hoping to get away without doing it.

Didn’t see the washer part in the Williams part book as a separate part.

#4 3 years ago

Also, the bell on mine has two holes. Interesting.

#5 3 years ago

i wouldn't bother taking up the floor. I meant looking under it with a mirror and flashlight or fishing under it with a magnetic wand. If it's under there, it would probably dislodge itself if you put the cabinet on end, too. Also, don't think you need to disassemble the end of that actuating arm. I think whatever hung on it, just had a hole diameter slightly larger than the "button" head on that arm (that's probably why it fell off in the first place maybe during transport). You could just secure it on there with an E-clip or Hair Pin Clip.

#6 3 years ago

I’ll give it a try.

I’m guessing it has been missing for a long time, which would explain the second hole drilled in the bell- someone was trying to move the bell closer to the button head hoping it would clang the bell.

#7 3 years ago

Your Williams # A-5505 Clapper Arm is indeed missing the "loose fitting" roller washer that actually strikes the bell. These were originally riveted on the clapper arm. Perhaps a couple of nylon washers could be pressed over the head of the rivet to work?

#8 3 years ago

Nylon washers or metal ones held on with a clip. I’ll see what works and report back.

Sure seems like a bell clapper would be a common part that Marcos would have, but the pic they have of the arm doesn’t show the roller washer.

#9 3 years ago

Your game has A-5505 clapper arm attached to B-5492-3 drive arm. Those parts were discontinued around 1966. They were replaced by 1A-3610 (or 01-3610) clapper arm attached to A-6488 drive arm. Both the old unit like yours and newer units use the same bell: 1A-1179A (or 01-1179A).

#10 3 years ago

If I can’t fashion a solution, how complicated would it be to change the bells out for chimes?
    Could I route the same power from the switches to trigger the chimes?

(Because, really I was holding out for a chime machine, but this one looked like fun so I, um, forgot I wanted chimes and got Heat Wave instead. Wasn’t expecting it to be this big a project, but guy needs a hobby, anyway.)

#11 3 years ago

Fishing under the board with a magnet landed me a.... vintage thumbtack. Can’t imagine what someone would be doing with a thumbtack near a pinball, but there you go.

#12 3 years ago

Consider it a good day. Usually you find a dozen cigarette butts and the skeletal remains of a mouse. Hang a metal washer on that arm and claim victory.
    Here's a picture of where somebody did just that on their machine. It's a Heat Wave just like yours, too. Found it on IPDB!

image-4 (resized).jpgimage-4 (resized).jpg
    #13 3 years ago

Yup. Thanks for the pic.

#14 3 years ago

If you look closely, you can see that he affixed a cotter pin to keep it in place.

#15 3 years ago

I found a thick neoprene washer to hold it in place. Also, a c ring. Still need to get a washer... bought the wrong size.

1 week later
    #16 3 years ago

Ended up making an elongated striker piece from 1/8” steel. Held in place with a neoprene grommet.

https://images.pinside.com/d/45/d4533b731ddce53ae1896e1fb9f3bda3f763b8c9/resized/large/d4533b731ddce53ae1896e1fb9f3bda3f763b8c9.jpeg

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg
    #17 3 years ago

That's an interesting way to do it. The important thing is how it sounds. Post a short video clip of it in action.

1 month later
    #18 3 years ago

Replaced the rubber grommet with two hairpin clips, on either side of the homemade clanger. Works enter because the clanger hangs loosely. The clanger is made of 1/8” iron or steel.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-match-unit-bell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.