Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by EMsInKC
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hey guys, I'm working on my first pinball ever, a Magic City. I've been reading PinRepair and a few other sites for guides but I may be at a wall.

The game turns on and the GI lights up. The lock coil is burnt up so I have it wedged closed for now. There are credits on the wheel and the ball count is at zero, but when pushing the start button it won't active the coin relay. If I manually activate the coin relay though, the reels will reset and the game will start just fine.

I'm not really sure where to even start looking. I have the schematics but they still kinda look like spaghetti to me even after reading the spot on PinRepair.

Any clues?

Thanks.

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from skymead87:

The lock coil is burnt up so I have it wedged closed for now

Do you have 24 V on the coils?
Could be the lock coil isn't burnt, but there could be al slam switch open, does the motor turn when you push on the index contact?
That is the first contact on top on de stack nearest to the motor.

#3 7 years ago

Sorry I don’t have a schematic for your game.

un wedge the Lock RE and see if it stars then. when you first power up the game, the lock relay allows the GO relay to be at the Game over state before it energises and turns on lights. You need the GO RE to be in the game over state to start a new game.

#4 7 years ago

Ok, I'll check on that when I get back home. Thanks.

#5 7 years ago

ok after un-wedging the lock relay, the game will light only while holding down the left flipper, as soon as i let go they turn back off and the lock relay never energizes.

the motor does will spin if i turn it.

#6 7 years ago

When you push the flipper in thats what energizes the lock relay. Just bypass the lock. Have you when and checked the switch stacks on the motor they can cause alot of problems.

#7 7 years ago

I went through the switch stacks on the motor already but its very likely that I missed something or mis-adjusted something. I just pulled the mech board out so i can get a better view of the switches. I'll update after I've gone over them again. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

#8 7 years ago

So I got the score motor cleaned up, but the game still doesn't want to reset. The credit wheel shows it having credits, but when I hit one of the coin door switches it will increment again and start a game. I can then play through the 5 balls and it will go into game over, but after that it won't start a new game. My next guess is that the credit wheel is mis-aligned in some way but im not sure.

Any clues?

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from skymead87:

My next guess is that the credit wheel is mis-aligned in some way but im not sure.

Any clues?

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#free

#10 7 years ago

I hate to ask this question, but have you made sure the start button switch is clean and adjusted and the wires on the switch soldered solidly?

If the game starts and plays correctly via the coin relay being operated manually, then for some reason power isn't getting to the coil on the coin relay. In addition, make sure the coin relay coil itself is good and the wires on the coil are solid. I had a game once where one wire was broken off the coin relay coil, but it looked like it was in the proper position. These things can fool you. Manually activating the coin relay doesn't tell you if the coil there is good. Put a meter on it and see what the resistance on it is.

Also make sure your game over relay, I'm assuming it's a latch/trip, changes states when you hit the coin relay.

If the game is resetting and playing properly, adding credits etc, the credit unit is not your issue.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside