(Topic ID: 295362)

Williams Lucky Seven - Hum from Transformer

By Zap

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Working on bringing a Williams Lucky Seven back to life. Put in known working boards, and an after market power supply board. Upon power up, audible hum can be heard coming from the transformer. I powered it down and swapped in the original power supply board, which showed no signs of damage. Upon power up, the hum was still there. I do not recall any other of my games of this era having such an issue. There is no speaker or audio board. It has chimes! What would cause this, and what should I examine first? Even with the power supply disconnected, the transformer hums when powered.

Edited: I identified that transformer not power supply board was the source of the hum.

#2 2 years ago

This is annoying but also normal. The magnetic fields cause some parts to vibrate. I know it sounds like BS but google it. You'll see.

As bad as that sound the solution sounds even more far fetched. You got to hit it with a mallet or hammer, a whole bunch of times, until the hum goes away.

I did it to a target alpha with the power off. And turned it back on every 10 hits. Took about 50 to make the hum lower volume that the machine.

#3 2 years ago

Cheddar,

Did you leave it in place or did you remove it? I'm concerned about harming the backbox.

Thanks,

Zap

#5 2 years ago

The bolts holding the transformer core plates together might be loose. Try tightening those four bolts on each corner.

#6 2 years ago

All,

Thanks for all the help.

I did try wacking it with a hammer and all I did was scuff the top of the plates in a few spots. I did leave it in place, but put a 4x4 on a jack underneath the edge of the backbox with just a little pressure upward.

It still has the same hum.

At this point I will just live with it.

Yes, it was bolted tightly, and bolts holding it together were tight.

Now, on to more solvable issues.

Thanks,

Zap

#7 2 years ago

In my previous life I was a movie theater projection technician. One problem that would occur rarely in the rectifier that supplied voltage to the Xenon bulb (enclosed arc) was a hum. Some rectifiers included wood wedges that you could tamp down or screws that would force a plate against the windings. If windings vibrate, because they have become loose, it creates heat and friction and ultimately failure because the varnish wears off. I'd investigate putting a wood wedge in-between the windings and iron if that is at all possible. That said, this is a pinball machine not an arc bulb rectifier to watch Star Wars on the big screen.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-lucky-seven-hum-from-power-supply and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.