• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D1FD20B6-EF5A-41BE-82B0-03E170513F76 (resized).jpeg
_Sch_Coin_Relay (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Back to working on the Little Chief I picked up a couple months ago. With no credits on the machine, when I turn it on, the scoring motor runs non-stop. This happens immediately without hitting the Start button in the front. I got the motor back to it's reset state and unplugged it so it would not turn. When I turn on the power, with no credits on the machine, the following happens:

* Lock relay energizes as soon as the machine is turned on (this is normal operation)
* Almost at the same time, the Coin relay energizes which then energizes the Reset relay and the Game Over relay (which latches)

If I manually flip the armature on the Coin relay, the Reset relay de-energizes. With no credits on the machine, the Coin relay should not energize. Looking at the schematic (photo below), I tried figuring out what is the path that is giving me trouble, but I'm having a hard time understanding what could be energizing the Coin relay.

* First I looked at the path from the Coin relay through the 10-cent Adjust Jack. That is not a possibility because the jack is in position #2.
* Second I looked at the path through the 5-cent Adjust Jack, which is in position #1. That was a possible path so I opened the Anti-Cheat switch on the coin door but the Coin relay still energized, so I don't think that's the problem path.
* Third I looked at the path through the Coin Relay switch. I put a piece of electrical tape to keep the switch from making contact. Coin relay still energized.

That is all I have done so far and I'm out of ideas on what to do next.

Thanks in advance,

Alberto

_Sch_Coin_Relay (resized).jpg_Sch_Coin_Relay (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

I'd first try to find out why the score motor keeps running. Find the "motor service jack" on the schematic and then look at all the circuits that connect to the service jack. You'll need to look at the switches in those circuits to see what switches are sending power to the service jack, and, in turn, to the score motor.

Example: When the score motor is constantly running, you could check the circuit that has the eject relay switch with the orange/green wire and yellow wire. Is the switch open or closed? Is the switch adjusted properly?... Let's say the normally open (NO) eject relay switch was closed when the score motor was constantly running. Then you would check the circuit and switches that send power to the eject relay coil. Eventually, through process of elimination, you'll find the problem, which is usually a mis-adjusted relay switch.

Here is a thread about the process of tracking down problems with a running score motor on a Gottlieb machine, which also can be used for a Williams machine:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixing-gottlieb-games-that-the-score-motor-runs#post-5380697

#3 4 years ago

Check for a stuck closed coin switch on the coin door.

#4 4 years ago

KenLayton one of the switch stacks on the scoring motor is missing two spacers. I have the replacements but I’m unsure as to how to secure them. Superglue? Do I try to melt the end cap?

Thanks

Alberto

D1FD20B6-EF5A-41BE-82B0-03E170513F76 (resized).jpegD1FD20B6-EF5A-41BE-82B0-03E170513F76 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-little-chief-coin-relay-energizes-on-power-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.