3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Galacnor
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider galacnor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Howdy Guys,

A few of you have been helping me on and off with a Williams Liberty Bell for about the past year.

The machine in question is my fathers, so I really only get the time to work on it when I spend time with him during the summers when I'm in the USA.

I finally got the machine back on its legs and set up over the past July, and I got one of the two major problems with the machine fixed myself. The credit reel now accurately reflects the number of remaining credits on the system. So, now we are moving onto the issue of the game starting up after pressing start.

Currently, the machine enters an endless loop when the start button is pressed. The motor in the middle of the cabinet spins continuously, and two of the solenoids in the head fire in rhythm, this happens over and over and over until the machine turns off, and then one can turn the machine on, recoin it, and start the process all over again.

This happened after the machine gradually failed. It started off as the score reels continuing to count up points even after the ball had stopped interacting with any targets, almost like the function that made the reel count up was malfunctioning.

I've taken a video of the machine doing this. Is there any advice for what I should check to get this resolved?

I've got the original schematics and owners packet that came with the machine and can provide pictures or videos of everything that anyone needs to help me resolve this issue. The machine doesn't seem to have been serviced in its entire life, as it was only on the arcade floor for the 77-78 tax year, and the original owners packet is included and nearly unused. No obvious work on the machine, nothing burning, fuses all seem OK. I can do any soldering/work myself with proper instructions.

Cheers and thanks for the help.

Alex

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Are those the 1st and 2nd player score reset relays that are chattering in the back? If so, you have to clean and adjust the switches on the reels, esp. the '0' switches. The motor will run until they reset.
Read more here: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#reels

They are. Good eye. Sorry I didn't mention that.

I'll check the reels and get back to you.

Thanks for the help, my good man.

Alex

3 weeks later
#4 3 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Are those the 1st and 2nd player score reset relays that are chattering in the back? If so, you have to clean and adjust the switches on the reels, esp. the '0' switches. The motor will run until they reset.
Read more here: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#reels

I messed around with the reels and switches myself on and off for 2 weeks without any progress. I ended up calling the Pinball guy in for my local area, and he did a decent job of it. I'm 200 dollars poorer after about 3 hours of labor, and I'm really ashamed to admit I really don't know exactly went wrong still; but the machine is working again. I will keep everyone updated on any more happenings with this machine.

I think for now, I'll lick my wounds and replace the rubbers myself at the very least, they're definitely due!

Any drive by advice on a playfield cleaning for a field of its age, or should I get a new topic started for that? Its got some ball swirl but is otherwise unmarred.

Cheers

Alex

3 weeks later
#6 3 years ago

I went with it too, as per Vids recommendation and was happy with the result. Thanks for the endorsement, as well!

On to the next project. Little Chief.

Cheers, sir
Alex

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider galacnor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-liberty-bell-coins-up-but-enters-endless-cycle-after-start?tu=galacnor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.