• Latest reply 3 years ago by dr_nybble
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

Does anyone know the format williams used on his machines? for example as for the firepower 1/2 the blackout or others for example? and do you know where I can get it?

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from Waxon:

Does anyone know the format williams used on his machines? for example as for the firepower 1/2 the blackout or others for example? and do you know where I can get it?

If you're talking about fonts, it can be tricky to pin down the exact ones they used. There's also the possibility that they're custom letterforms.

The text ("Special," Adv.") on Blackout is similar to Universal, Herbert Bayer's famous Bauhaus font, but the numbers are a different, more blocky typeface.

For Firepower, it looks like they used an early digital-style font throughout, like Computerfont Regular or Computo Monospace.

Hope this helps!

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

Si habla de fuentes, puede resultar complicado precisar las que utilizaron. También existe la posibilidad de que sean formas de letras personalizadas.
El texto ("Especial," Adv. ") En Blackout es similar a Universal, la famosa fuente Bauhaus de Herbert Bayer, pero los números son de una tipografía diferente, más en bloque.
Para Firepower, parece que usaron una fuente de estilo digital temprano en todo, como Computerfont Regular o Computo Monospace.
¡Espero que esto ayude!

Thank you very much really, I will take it into account to be able to edit my file in Photoshop, do you know something about how to put the letters in this program?
Thanks

#4 3 years ago

If you're talking about fonts, it can be tricky to pin down the exact ones they used. There's also the possibility that they're custom letterforms.
The text ("Special," Adv.") on Blackout is similar to Universal, Herbert Bayer's famous Bauhaus font, but the numbers are a different, more blocky typeface.
For Firepower, it looks like they used an early digital-style font throughout, like Computerfont Regular or Computo Monospace.
Hope this helps!</blockquote
I just checked the formats and you are right, they are from firepower, but I need the blackout or firepower II numbers, any ideas?

#5 3 years ago

I just checked the formats and you are right, they are from firepower, but I need the blackout or firepower II numbers, any ideas?
I think I answered it wrong and the message was not seen, but there is it

#6 3 years ago

There are lots of sites where you can download free fonts. This isn't exact, but it's similar to the Firepower font:
https://www.1001freefonts.com/lazenby-computer.font

This one is similar to Blackout:
https://fontsgeek.com/fonts/P22-Bayer-Universal-Regular

Firepower II uses something similar to Bank Gothic, but I couldn't find a link to a free version. You can explore those sites to look for something that might work.

#7 3 years ago

You can also use the www.linotype.com site to see 'sample text' of many fonts.....screenshot it and scale/vectorize.

When I recreate labels I often have this workflow:
- find a candidate font on Linotype -- they are usually older classic fonts like Futura, Helvetica, etc.
- type my text in Sample Text
- screen cap
- trace in Inkscape
- work on top of a scan, and scale/tweak the individual letters until they match

#9 3 years ago

So, how do I put the letters in Photoshop?

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

You can also use the www.linotype.com site to see 'sample text' of many fonts.....screenshot it and scale/vectorize.
When I recreate labels I often have this workflow:
- find a candidate font on Linotype -- they are usually older classic fonts like Futura, Helvetica, etc.
- type my text in Sample Text
- screen cap
- trace in Inkscape
- work on top of a scan, and scale/tweak the individual letters until they match

I'll visit the site, see how it is Thank you

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

There are lots of sites where you can download free fonts. This isn't exact, but it's similar to the Firepower font:
https://www.1001freefonts.com/lazenby-computer.font
This one is similar to Blackout:
https://fontsgeek.com/fonts/P22-Bayer-Universal-Regular
Firepower II uses something similar to Bank Gothic, but I couldn't find a link to a free version. You can explore those sites to look for something that might work.

Do you think someone here will have it for free?

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from Waxon:

So, how do I put the letters in Photoshop?

See post # 5 from the link provided

#13 3 years ago

Sometimes I draw it myself from scratch if the fonts are too far off. With a bit of practice in Inkscape or Illustrator it's not too hard, just work.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-letter-format- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.