(Topic ID: 47153)

Williams leg length question...

By Mk1Mod0

11 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Last year I obtained two nice EMs. One is a Williams Big Chief that comes in that weird cabinet with the extra depth at the front. It has two different leg sizes because of this and I suspect it is still not correct because the thing stands head and shoulders above all of my other machines. The other machine is a Sonic Super Straight and it stands about two inches shorter than all my other machines. (Before you ask, the four on the Sonic are the same length as the 2 shorter ones on the Williams. Any reference available on proper leg length here?

#2 11 years ago

http://www.pbresource.com/legs.html

Scroll down to the popular applications chart. See if that helps.

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

I have a Williams Full House which hasbthebsame staggered legs.

It stands even with my Bally Flip Flop which is a newer 4 player game.

My Gottlieb Flip a Card stands about 2 inches lower than those 2.

If you want I can measure my Full House legs.

#4 11 years ago

PBR says "-( Legs used on Multi-Players games vary in length)" Had to LOL on that one. If you could measure for me it would be very helpful, fflint_18. Thanks!

#5 11 years ago

My Full House is from 1966 and your Big Chief is 1965. I looked at yours on IPDB and the cabinets look the same.

I measured the legs and they measure;

25 1/8 for the front legs

28 5/8 for the rear legs.

That's the leg length only without the level ears.

I hope this helps.

Bert

#6 11 years ago

Most Williams EMs used 28.5" legs. I believe that would be correct for your Sonic game. You may have 27" legs on it right now which were used commonly on later Gottlieb EMs. I believe the front leg length used on "drop front" games is 25". Probably 28.5" in the back.

I read that your lockdown bar height should be at 36". So with that in mind you should be able to play around to get the correct leg length.
Alex

#7 11 years ago

OK - My Ballys which are what I am used to come out at 37.5" and 38.5" L/D bar height. (They have 28.5" legs all around.) The Sonic has 28.5" legs and comes out at 36" like AlexF said. Seems short to me but the wife finds it to be perfect. The Big Chief, on the other hand, has 28.5" legs in the front and 31" legs in the back. L/D bar height on that puppy is 41". Too tall for even me to play comfortably. With the leg length fflint_18 has described on his machine, that would drop it to 37" which would seem "right" to me. Thanks for all the input, folks. I may have some shopping and/or cutting and drilling to do.

#8 11 years ago

Heh, I had a Sinbad with 31" legs on it. Supposed to have 27". I felt like the lockdown bar was at my armpits. Great game though.

I think the 36" is what is suggested to be factory height but you can obviously adjust for comfort. I think most of mine actually sit a little taller and I'm fairly short.
Alex

6 years later
#9 4 years ago

Anyone know if the 1977 Big Deal had different length legs?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-leg-length-question?hl=md_pinball_dude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.