Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by terry64174
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

My Williams system 7 won't go into diagnostics. Everything else works. Can anyone help with this issue. Thanks

#2 6 years ago

Did you check continuity on the coin door switches? Bad switch?

#3 6 years ago

No, i did not. When i changed the battery pack, as suggested by some, the pin wouldn't let me do anything with the advance button. The bottom butoon of the three there will create a sound. That's all it will do. Game plays fine. Thanks for answering.

#4 6 years ago

Could you get in before the battery switch? You say bottom button. We are talking about the coin door? I think I misunderstood and you are talking about the mpu/driver boards.

#5 6 years ago

Coin door. Top button being advance, middle being auto or manual, and i can't remember the bottom button. Thank you

#6 6 years ago

Yes, i could get in to the program before battery install. Thank You

#7 6 years ago

Try bypassing at the switch solder points with something like the metal blade of a screwdriver.

Follow the wires up to the head where they connect to the MPU (lower left corner I believe) and using a bare piece of wire, test them by shorting the two wires together to see if the game goes in to diagnostics then. Also try shorting the ADVANCE wire to the cabinet ground braid. That should also work up at the coin door. It is a VERY common problem for Williams games to lose connections for the coin door input wires.

Replacing the batteries is simply coincidental, in your case.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from terry64174:

Coin door. Top button being advance, middle being auto or manual, and i can't remember the bottom button. Thank you

That last switch is the high score reset.

#9 6 years ago

Thank You Snyper. I will try those things. Only been doing pinball for 2 yrs., and early solid state ones at that. I've been doing electronics repair for 27 years. That helps a little. I want to Thank all who have answered the call. I tried to make a donation. This place doesn't like my card.

#11 6 years ago

Okay guys, i checked and shorted switches in coin door and the connector that runs to the advance button. Grounding advance does nothing in either case. I replaced Ic 5 and the timer IC 23. thinking the diode in the battery replacement holder caused a problem. Still no advance button control, no auto or manual control, and high score button creates a sound. The only other thing i did was replace Q 45. The old transistor simply fell out. I didn't see what that had to do with the coin door control buttons. Any more help you guys have up your sleeve would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

#12 6 years ago

A bad diode on a battery holder is NOT going to cause this problem.

Did you try to connect the wires at the actual board connector in the head with a spare length of wire like I suggested?

#13 6 years ago

yes i shorted the advance wire in backbox at 1j4, i got nothing. I haven't had time today to run more test that you reminded me of. My troubleshooting is a bit rusty. Thank you. I will keep you up on the progress.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-laser-cue-system-7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.