IMG_2233 (resized).JPG
IMG_2220 (resized).JPG
IMG_2241 (resized).jpg
IMG_2240 (resized).jpg
IMG_2224 (resized).JPG
IMG_2226 (resized).JPG
IMG_2223 (resized).JPG
#1 3 years ago

!968 Williams Lady Luck Project, first inspection. Backless shot but salvageable (more on that later) until a new one is available.
Obviously taken off line in 1977 (9 years routed and all the original stickers are there. Probably a Carolina thing to leave the stickers, it came from Myrtle Beach. Coin units removed and coin slots blocked.
Bottom cabinet graphics are good enough to keep, the head another story. I glued up a gap in the upper boards.
IMG_2136 (resized).JPGIMG_2136 (resized).JPGIMG_2138 (resized).jpgIMG_2138 (resized).jpgIMG_2140 (resized).JPGIMG_2140 (resized).JPGIMG_2145 (resized).JPGIMG_2145 (resized).JPGIMG_2165 (resized).JPGIMG_2165 (resized).JPGIMG_2166 (resized).JPGIMG_2166 (resized).JPGIMG_2170 (resized).JPGIMG_2170 (resized).JPGIMG_2178 (resized).JPGIMG_2178 (resized).JPG

#2 3 years ago

Rotten rubber stuck to the playfield, heat? The paint is actually good, faded but intact. Plastics will clean up, so will the Flippers. Rebuild kits from PBR are on their way.
Front worn and faded, will probably power buff it back "To the best it can be".
New Ball shooter bezel coming (Didn't find a Williams metal unit).
No burnt coils need replacing, but the Reset bank coil had a copper insert that was worn to shreds so another one of those is coming along with a used plunger.
The Funky switch in the ball guide gate is a new one on me. If the Machine Busts and the gate opens it has to reset the "21" Score to zero when the ball is delivered again, this switch registers it.
Lastly, quickly replaced the Joker kick outs with new Gottlieb seats from..who else? Pinball Resource. The only difference is you have to drill a 1/8 hole to allow the Williams wire seat install.
Hope the pictures show it.

IMG_2141 (resized).JPGIMG_2141 (resized).JPGIMG_2142 (resized).JPGIMG_2142 (resized).JPGIMG_2149 (resized).JPGIMG_2149 (resized).JPGIMG_2158 (resized).JPGIMG_2158 (resized).JPGIMG_2185 (resized).JPGIMG_2185 (resized).JPGIMG_2187 (resized).JPGIMG_2187 (resized).JPGIMG_2197 (resized).JPGIMG_2197 (resized).JPGIMG_2199 (resized).JPGIMG_2199 (resized).JPG
#3 3 years ago

Yeah, it's a Beater. But with new flippers, pop bumpers and a heavy Shop this thing will play like new.
Going to "Enhance" the Back Glass with colored Theatre Gels and construction paper (Pics to come no matter how bad)
The top Corralled Pop Bumper caps is unique to this pin as far as I know and unavailable.

My Goal is to get this Pin playable 100% by Christmas, we have a Family competition (7th year) and Lady Luck will fit right in with my other Low End Pins.

IMG_2137 (resized).JPGIMG_2137 (resized).JPGIMG_2140 (resized).JPGIMG_2140 (resized).JPGIMG_2146 (resized).JPGIMG_2146 (resized).JPGIMG_2151 (resized).JPGIMG_2151 (resized).JPG
#4 3 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

!968 Williams Lady Luck Project, first inspection. Backless shot but salvageable (more on that later) until a new one is available.
Obviously taken off line in 1977 (9 years routed and all the original stickers are there. Probably a Carolina thing to leave the stickers, it came from Myrtle Beach. Coin units removed and coin slots blocked.
Bottom cabinet graphics are good enough to keep, the head another story. I glued up a gap in the upper boards.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Haha, have the same stickers on my Royal Guard, kind of cool being able to document some of its history. I got the game as a project from a collector in NJ. some 20 years ago.
Good luck with your project!

#5 3 years ago

Anyone restoring/ shopping an old pin reaches a decision point.
Clear coat? Cabinet paint?
This one will be returned to 100% working order.
I was afraid PBR took the week off for Thanksgiving but the confirmed my order.Good news.
So I scrubbed all plastics with Dawn in warm water, dried and detailed with Novus 1.
No cosmetic restoration work, no touchups, no polishing to be performed at this time.
I want it back together, new Pops, Flipper units, sleeves and cleaning for every coil, new cord.
It would be sacrilege to repaint a 1968 Telecaster, this is the same kind of thing. Every yellowed plastic,
paint flaw and nicotine stain tells a story.
Intend to play it awhile, see if its as good as the Reviews say. Then the total Restore makes sense.

By the way, the Lazy Susan Hardware rotisserie idea came from someone here who I give all the credit to.
The way he did it is really the cheapest, fastest way to do it yet it works so well! Thanks!

IMG_2208 (resized).jpgIMG_2208 (resized).jpgIMG_2209 (resized).jpgIMG_2209 (resized).jpgIMG_2210 (resized).JPGIMG_2210 (resized).JPG
#6 3 years ago

IMG_2218 (resized).JPGIMG_2218 (resized).JPGVid gave some advice and I always take it, paint the areas under the plastics white. This is first coat with Createx flat and a foam brush.IMG_2216 (resized).JPGIMG_2216 (resized).JPGIMG_2217 (resized).JPGIMG_2217 (resized).JPGIMG_2219 (resized).JPGIMG_2219 (resized).JPG

I want to clear coat this thing. The Original graphics are faded. There was NO nicotine on the outside of the cabinet.
The other option is putting a circular Mylar over the high wear area then waxing.IMG_2218 (resized).JPGIMG_2218 (resized).JPG

I did touch-up the Rollovers mid-field with new blue paint.
Best to stick with the original plan, see how it plays and if its a keeper tear it back down, paint the cabinet and clear the playfield

2 weeks later
#7 3 years ago

Hey Phil, I haven't had a chance to send my back glass in yet as life has been getting in the way. I have just bought another lady luck though and it has a better glass than I already have. I'm thinking I may send it instead once it gets here. I'll let you know when that happens. I plan on getting a mechanically sound and playable pin going and then start restoring the other cabinet.

#8 3 years ago

I just sent them an email with pictures of the one I have. I let them know there was someone else wanting theirs restored once they had the art available.

#9 3 years ago

Thanks Jackaltr!
The last 20 days been cleaning steppers, light sockets, you name it.
PBR came through with the parts,always an exciting time.
IMG_2221 (resized).JPGIMG_2221 (resized).JPG

The relay reset bank coil had a brass insert that had shredded, taking the plunger with it. New coil and plunger solved that.
IMG_2234 (resized).JPGIMG_2234 (resized).JPGIMG_2230 (resized).JPGIMG_2230 (resized).JPG
Always install new pop bumper assemblies top to bottom.

IMG_2226 (resized).JPGIMG_2226 (resized).JPGIMG_2223 (resized).JPGIMG_2223 (resized).JPG
Of course mylar rings come first.
IMG_2224 (resized).JPGIMG_2224 (resized).JPG
The back glass was a ruined monster, had to get it back to at least acceptable until a new one is available. First good clear packing tape, roll with foam roller to flatten remaining paint.
The cut a pattern from Card stock.
Remove tape in these areas with x-acto. Still working on it but if you squint it looks a lot better.
IMG_2220 (resized).JPGIMG_2220 (resized).JPGIMG_2241 (resized).jpgIMG_2241 (resized).jpgIMG_2240 (resized).jpgIMG_2240 (resized).jpg

So the shop job continues. Did a brush job one the head, will touch up the front before installing new shooter assembly.
Then comes the fun part, getting it to work 100%.
Always go complete with the flipper re-build too, really like the improved Pawl Pinball Resource provides.
IMG_2233 (resized).JPGIMG_2233 (resized).JPG
Williams did some funky things on this Model, one, the Head circuit board is made out of shredded sawdust and glue. The other is this weird Spider on the Match Unit.
IMG_2238 (resized).JPGIMG_2238 (resized).JPGIMG_2239 (resized).JPGIMG_2239 (resized).JPG

#10 3 years ago

Love watching this game come back to life. Who knows, it might have been one of the games I played at a huge amusement house in North Myrtle back in the mid seventies. It's a good game, hence the wear and tear on that thing... keep the pics and progress coming, bravo!

#11 3 years ago

I appreciate it Dono! I just about have everything working except the actual "21" feature. Plays real fast, zippers and pop bumpers amazing. Needs a few more hours of troubleshooting tonight.
I think it started its life on a nearby Military base but it indeed could have been abused in a North Myrtle Arcade, miss those places.

This thing is surprisingly complicated!

#12 3 years ago

Hi phil-lee, If you’re still looking for a backglass, it looks like you can score a nice repro with the Dutch bingo gurus:

http://www.coos.net/bingo_e/images/williams%20Lady-Luck-2.jpg

SLM

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from SilverLiningMan:

Hi phil-lee, If you’re still looking for a backglass, it looks like you can score a nice repro with the Dutch bingo gurus:
http://www.coos.net/bingo_e/images/williams%20Lady-Luck-2.jpg
SLM

Where did the image come from, do they have a Site? Is it in Europe?
Thanks!

#14 3 years ago

Start here and scroll down. I’ve never ordered from them but other Pinsiders have. Be interested in your experience if you go with them. They look like tremendous reproductions.

http://www.coos.net/bingo_e/backglasses.html

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from SilverLiningMan:

Start here and scroll down. I’ve never ordered from them but other Pinsiders have. Be interested in your experience if you go with them. They look like tremendous reproductions.
http://www.coos.net/bingo_e/backglasses.html

This image and a like one on IPD show a different color combination, it still looks good but "Different." I wonder if this was an alternate offered for machines sold in Europe or just a Designers fancy while restoring one.

#16 3 years ago

Sorry for the pause. Always good to see original price plastics behind those metal block-outs.
Primered the white(Kilz Original) and installed the new non-logo Shooter. Bent coin door comes later.IMG_2249 (resized).JPGIMG_2249 (resized).JPG

All Comet Retro LED in the back, didn't want to melt or burn my primitive repairs. Notice the extra-beveled center light sockets, this is for old school blinkers.IMG_2243 (resized).JPGIMG_2243 (resized).JPG

Cleaned all the inserts with q-tips/alcohol/Novus 1. IMG_2231 (resized).JPGIMG_2231 (resized).JPG
The relay reset unit under the playfield was hanging by a thread, this got new rubber and hardware.
IMG_2247 (resized).JPGIMG_2247 (resized).JPG

So she is ready for Christmas. Plays fast, 21 feature/ Bust/Dealer Bust Feature working, everything is great...except there is one weak feature in this game.
IMG_2250 (resized).jpgIMG_2250 (resized).jpgIMG_2248 (resized).jpgIMG_2248 (resized).jpg

If the Inlane switch doesn't reset the "21" score reel to zero you have no game, it quickly busts.
Sometimes plunged real fast it resets perfectly, other times you must use "Skill shots" to hit the switch repeatedly until its zero.
Pulling my hair out on this one, but she plays good enough for Christmas!IMG_2251 (resized).JPGIMG_2251 (resized).JPG

6 months later
#17 2 years ago

Despite frustrations encountered during refurbishment Lady Luck has become a go-to after 299 plus games.
Love this Machine, sorry for the disparaging comments as to why Lady Luck is so highly Rated.
I understand why.
Scoring seems intuitive and is very equal between 2 Players.
Matter of fact it should always be played by two.
The inlane switches covered earlier (Post 16) are really critical to proper game play.
Clean your score reels, then the relays. Clean and adjust them again.
They work hard, very hard while playing. Split seconds where they must clear the secondary "21" score real and begin scoring again.
The Machine responds very well to nudge. Really intuitive.
Speaking of intuition I left the scoring posts/contacts as they were coming from an Arcade in Myrtle Beach.
Whatever it is is perfect. Player One can rack up some incredible score through "Bust" or earned Extra Balls(19-20-21_
yet Player 2 is given the same opportunity, its weird.
Now in my Dining room, not leaving.
Like Lady Luck.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Despite frustrations encountered during refurbishment Lady Luck has become a go-to after 299 plus games.
Love this Machine, sorry for the disparaging comments as to why Lady Luck is so highly Rated.
I understand why.
Scoring seems intuitive and is very equal between 2 Players.
Matter of fact it should always be played by two.
The inlane switches covered earlier (Post 16) are really critical to proper game play.
Clean your score reels, then the relays. Clean and adjust them again.
They work hard, very hard while playing. Split seconds where they must clear the secondary "21" score real and begin scoring again.
The Machine responds very well to nudge. Really intuitive.
Speaking of intuition I left the scoring posts/contacts as they were coming from an Arcade in Myrtle Beach.
Whatever it is is perfect. Player One can rack up some incredible score through "Bust" or earned Extra Balls(19-20-21_
yet Player 2 is given the same opportunity, its weird.
Now in my Dining room, not leaving.
Like Lady Luck.

I think Lady Luck is a great game! How's the wife with a pin in the dining room?

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from TwinDavid:

I think Lady Luck is a great game! How's the wife with a pin in the dining room?

We live in separate houses, works out great.

3 months later
#20 2 years ago
Quoted from Jackaltr:

I just sent them an email with pictures of the one I have. I let them know there was someone else wanting theirs restored once they had the art available.

Just noticed BG Resto has a Lady Luck back glass! Is this your submission? If so, thanks, looks great!

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Just noticed BG Resto has a Lady Luck back glass! Is this your submission? If so, thanks, looks great!

Not mine. I wound up buying one that came from ballybingo through another pinsider. He ordered it by mistake thinking it was for the Bally Lady Luck.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-lady-luck-inspection and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.