chips.jpg
Coke.jpg
score_solder.jpg
Duff-1-icon.png
WilliamsReel.gif
IMG_2124.JPG
satan-devil-icon.png
replay_unit_wipers.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Skybug.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

Hi, I just got a Klondike in pretty good shape and the owner was able to fiddle with the coin mechanism to prove to me that it works. But they he fiddled with it again and two problems came up. This is one of them.

1- Turn on the machine: CHUNK CHUNK
2- Fiddle with the coin mechanism: CHUNK CHUNK CHUNK
3- Push the Start button: CHUNK CHUNK CHUNK CHUNK CHUNK CHUNK......

The scoreboard is set to 10 so I wonder if it's trying to reset itself. I took two videos of it; any help will be greatly appreciated!

Turn on the machine:

Inside the cabinet:

Thank you!

#3 11 years ago

how do i manually set it? i tried from the back but didn't want to force it...

#7 11 years ago

oh boy. will try to tackle this weekend. stay tuned!

#8 11 years ago

Another thing: when the owner got it to work, it only played one ball and then, Game Over. Could this be part of the same problem?

#15 11 years ago

the guy showed me how he fiddled with the lower wheels in the coin slots to make the machine do something; but i don't want to have to do this to start every game. Another question, i guess: once I get the score reel fixed and check all the fuses and there's also sometimes a loud-humming solenoid; once i get all these things straightened out, will I be able to play the game without fiddling with the coin slot?

Thanks guys! I'm a beginner and have a LOT of studying to do, based on your answers here.

#20 11 years ago

Pafasa did you take those pictures just for me?? Verrry helpful, thank you! (Oops! forgot to check for broken wires.) My hands got dirty but I was able to reset it to 0, thanks to your help. I guess I should clean it back there; best way to clean?

PROGRESS! It plays, but stops after one ball and "TILT" (which I didn't do, and the game is level, I checked.) But now I don't have to fiddle with the coin slot, I just press the Start button! Anxious to replace all rubber rings and clean & wax the plastics & playfield.

Lock relay coil is okay if it looks fried?? http://user.xmission.com/~daina/tips/pub/tip0424.html

So I don't need a new one? How about a new coil to replace the loudly humming large solenoid at the back left corner inside the bottom cabinet? (or at least that's what the previous owner identified was making the noise.)

Here's my video from today; sorry it's sideways... Please watch & let me know anything else I need to attend to!

Thanks, everyone!!!

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Love the blinking bulbs in the bear on the right side of the backglass! I'm doing that tomorrow.

Well I didn't do anything to it, so I guess that means you can put the flasher bulbs anywhere?? I thought they had to be in specific places.

#25 11 years ago

Thanks everyone for all your comments. I've got a lot of studying to do! I'm sure I'll have more questions as I try to do all these things...but at least I got it working (sort of).

Yes Pasafa I'd be glad to take pics for you too, if it helps!

#28 11 years ago

TILT! and FUSES.

Hi guys I didn't think I'd be back so soon! I have TILT pictures this time.

Looks like I'm missing the plumb bob part of the pendulum tilt; and should the back piece of the coin slot tilt be flattened at the bottom? - not sure how I can do this - and the third pic is the tilt switch that I found on the upper side of the cabinet, near the back right; should I make sure the two front pieces are touching? as the back part is a thick piece of metal but the round end doesn't easily touch the thick metal piece...sorry I'm such a beginner; I'll learn!

ALSO the fuses don't come out easily; can I separate the metal pieces on either end?

tilt.jpgtilt.jpg coin_tilt.jpgcoin_tilt.jpg tilt_switch.jpgtilt_switch.jpg fuses.jpgfuses.jpg

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

Hey Sky, good score on the Klondike!
Check the slam tilt on the door, are the contacts too close? Easy fix if so, bend it carefully so there's a bit of a gap. Its easy to bend that switch shut with the door open. If its ok, check the plumb bob tilt and the ball roll tilt. There's only 3, so soon you will be tilt free!

They're touching on the door; so they should be spread apart like on the tilt switch?

#34 11 years ago

Duh.
I guess I should read the labels! I think my problem is that I'm not used to all the vocabulary yet (still not sure what a relay is, and how to check it, for example; will keep reading!).

I'm going through my Pinball Machine Care & Maintenance book step by step - someone on Pinside recommended it, and it's great for the beginner - and one of the first steps is to check the fuses to make sure they're the right amps.

I found 4 on the machine; 4 in the schematics; let me know if I'm missing any. Schematics say 3 x 10amp fuses, and 1 x 15amp fuse. Now here's a label I can't read, even after removing the fuses. I'm guessing the 15 amp fuse is the third one from the top? Schematics show:
B-Y-W -- 15amp fuse -- BLACK
so it looks like the thick black wire goes into the third fuse; is this correct? The third fuse label also says 24v as opposed to 6v on the first two; I can't read the fourth one down at all; so I think I should have 3 x 10amp/6v and 1 x 15amp/24v.

Please correct me if I'm wrong cuz I'm in no way an electrician, and want to make sure I do this right!

As always, thank you!

#36 11 years ago

Thank you. I still need to figure out which switches are supposed to be open, and which are closed. How can I tell?

Game_over_relay.JPGGame_over_relay.JPG

#38 11 years ago

One more question; I hate to keep bothering you guys; I'll study my book and the fabulous links you gave me; but I'm soooo anxious to get it all working quickly!!

What is the name of the little score reel at right side of the backglass, between the bears; and how can I reset that to "0" manually?

#41 11 years ago

OK GREAT! thank you Way2wyrd! Now I have to figure out how to manually activate it.
If I am checking the Game Over relay as PRmailers suggested, what am I looking for exactly? contact switches and broken wires?

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Have a few videos for you but can't seem to get them to upload. Here is a pic of the fuse bank. Looks like 10,10,15,10 from top to bottom

YES! I was right! Thanks for confirming.

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Upload a photo of it so we see which one it is just to be sure we are zeroing in on the right one.

OK the guy just touched it and it stopped humming; is this a good way to tell that this one is the culprit?

#47 11 years ago

I mean, could it be a wire or something else?

#54 11 years ago

You guys are soooo helpful!

OK here it is; it's just a stand-alone coil in the far back corner, bottom cabinet, left side. The previous owner touched it in some way and it stopped the loud buzzing; but I was unable to do that myself just now; so maybe that's not really the problem.

And here are two disconnected wires - the red ones - that I found in the backbox. One is attached to a screw, and maybe the other one was too.

I just learned that I should play a game each time I make a change, to see what happens. Now I've done a couple of things and the game is acting differently. Good news: I get 5 balls now, instead of 1. Bad news: the score reels aren't turning but the chunk-chunk sound is there as if it is.

What have I done? I tried to reset the reel on the replay unit, thinking if that's at zero too, like on the scoreboard, things might work better. (Maybe I disconnected those red wires in doing so?) But after it got to 37 it went to "blank" and stopped, so I couldn't get it to "0", I don't know how to reverse it. And I replaced a 10-amp fuse with the required 15-amp fuse. And I don't remember what else, just changing a couple of bulbs I think. Forgot to check if it still says TILT at the end of a game; maybe not, since it gave me 5 balls?

noisy_coil.jpgnoisy_coil.jpg loose_wires.jpgloose_wires.jpg

#55 11 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Maybe reading that stuff put her to sleep!

Well I AM really tired; can barely keep my eyes open. Is this part of the addiction you were referring to?

G-nite, guys!

#64 11 years ago

Hi everyone, thanks for your help!

Please bear with me while I take in your last few posts (remember, I'm a beginner and all of this is new to me!).

Pasafa, on the double-photo you posted, can you explain what you're doing in the second photo? Is that where the jones plug is, by any chance?

And if I reset the credit wheel to 0, will my score reels start showing up again when I play?

Thanks!

#66 11 years ago
Quoted from the4horse:

My Klondike has the Ball Index Relay Z27 1000 which makes a hum at times through the game...is this the one that's giving you trouble?
I'm also trying to fix my machine, I think it's the ball count stepper unit but it also needs a flick of the trip wire in the coin door to get it going, for some reason the start button doesn't work.
Good Luck getting it sorted.

Thanks, 4Horse! I've been reading your post too! I don't know at this point which relay is causing me trouble. Just trying to figure it all out... good luck to you too!

#67 11 years ago

Thanks, Pasafa, I see it now!

Will try to clean up the PF during the week cuz I don't like to play the game too much right now since it's dirty & has dried-out rubber rings. Then I'll do as you suggested & let you know what happens!

I''ll catch up with you all this weekend (or maybe sooner, as this IS really addictive!)

#68 11 years ago
Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

Wonder if this game has a ' Novelty ' setting
it's like extra easy and the knocker will fire often

What does the Novelty setting do and how can I get those little smiley-face icons?

#71 11 years ago

oh gosh - thanks for the warning

#74 11 years ago

WOW!!
I'm going to be an expert soon if you keep this up! thank you thank you thank you!!!!

ok I really have to get back to my other life now! will come back here on Friday night & let you know what's happening.

#82 11 years ago

Hey if I have green corrosion on the base of my light bulbs, but they look good & aren't burnt out, what does that mean? can I reuse them after I clean the little light bulb holders?

Pin-it wins

#85 11 years ago

Perfect! I have the flexstone file, thought it was just for cleaning contact switches; and got a tip to save the old shooter tip when I replace the rubber ring kit, for the light bulb grabber, which is similar to your tree bulb remover. However I still can't get it to work in those really narrow spots so I'll try the tree ones too, thanks for the tip!

I have a ton of #47s that I've been replacing all bulbs with, and the corroded ones are actually 47s but I think I'll just toss them anyway. And the 44s are being tossed too. I've been cleaning the bulb holders with q-tips and rubbing alcohol, is that okay?

I found several #55 bulbs in my other pinball machine, I moved one over to the Klondike; my book says #55 is similar to #455 but I don't see it blinking; will have to try in another spot.

Pasafa I will get to your how-to's this weekend (hopefully!) after I've cleaned up my machine!

#86 11 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

I think I win. Pin-it said Thursday and way2wyrd said Wednesday. I said Monday night. Then Pin-it conceded to me. This is important stuff here, not to be taken lightly!

Yeah but Pin-It said "probably cleaning it" which was right; however in looking at it again, I guess it doesn't count.
I was at the machine Tuesday - not Monday, and not tonight Wednesday - so I guess it's a tie between Pafasa and way2wyrd.

#89 11 years ago

Well I had used my pencil eraser to try to remove the dirt from the slot reels - bad idea; I just ended up rubbing off some of the paper. So I'm going to order those overlays that Pafasa suggested. Saw the gel-rubber light bulb remover at Walmart today & splurged; got 20 for $2.84. Just cuz I didn't want to go to another store. Got waaaaaaay too many!

Well I've got one hour to work on it tonight; let's see how much more cleaning I can do!

#96 11 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Sky, The loose red wires look like an attempt to put the game in free play. Not a bad idea but not very well done. If I'm right, connecting the loose wire to the bolt would be the same as Pin-it's penny trick. I will check it out on my machine to see. In the meantime, I would leave them disconnected and put electrical tape over the exposed end of the wire and also completely cover the bolt and wire on the other red wire too. These wires are not an original part of the machine and will not affect the game if they are left undone.

Check!

#97 11 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Didn't think that something could be stuck and causing that coil to be locked on. It's possible but judging by the brand new look of the coil is bet it is not the actual source of the noise. Unplugging it would definitely prove this out though. After it is unplugged, make sure the plug tips don't end up touching some other device in the cabinet and then fire it up an play a few games. If the buzz is still there, then we know to look elsewhere.

Jones plug unplugged. Noise still continues. Sounds like two noises: a loud hum and an annoying buzz.

#98 11 years ago

CREDIT WHEEL:

I can't seem to move the plunger; am I doing it wrong? but even if it's not working, is it necessary to have a credit wheel? I'm more concerned right now about the score reels that have stopped working (unless there's a correlation between the two.)

Thank you!

#104 11 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Darn it! I hoped you found some slot reels!
Any luck Skybug?

That's the least of my worries. I just want the machine to be working properly, at this point. I can replace the slot reels later; they're still mounted & working.

#105 11 years ago

Hi guys, I can't "rewind" the wheel back to 0; so I advanced it and here's a "blank" which appears AFTER #37 on the credit wheel. First pic.

The farthest back I can go is #13 showing on the backglass; this is the second pic. It was at the 13 in my video as well, you can see the wheel isn't moving. I can see it's stuck there cuz the post can't move past that point.

How to fix? Again, is the credit wheel necessary for game play?

Thank you!

credit_blank.jpgcredit_blank.jpg credit_13.jpgcredit_13.jpg

#106 11 years ago

I mean, the score reels aren't moving at all now!
does this have something to do with it?

#110 11 years ago

OK. Pull out both pins?

#112 11 years ago

Oops! Pafasa was answering my question at the same time I was asking it!

#117 11 years ago

These videos are fabulous! I'm watching them numerous times so that I can really understand how things work; and I keep rereading your posts just to make sure I don't mess anything up, before trying it for the first time. There's a LOT of information in this thread!!!

Will keep you posted with more questions; stand by...

#119 11 years ago

well I feel so lucky to have bought the right machine, to be able to get all this help!

I will be AMAZED if you can actually fix my machine remotely! Stand by; will give you an update soon!

#120 11 years ago

Got the credit wheel back to 0. Whether at 0 or at 2, the machine gives me endless balls to play but score reels still say 00000. Does it have something to do with that lower solenoid that doesn't seem to be working at the credit wheel? Is the machine getting stuck because I keep turning the game off when it's not finished playing all balls?

I repositioned the little spring on the burnt-out-looking relay you showed me; it had come off. That must've fixed something, but I still have a loud buzz, now it happens within game play. Doesn't seem to be coming from the coin door.

Heard the bells for the first time upon startup! but can't find my chimes...

#121 11 years ago

OK definite buzzing from the underside of the playfield, near the popup post.

#122 11 years ago

HOT COIL! the others are cool after I shut it off, so it must be this one that's buzzing. Just under the popup post. Could it be that the switches aren't opening/closing correctly?

#123 11 years ago

Oops I moved the pin on the credit wheel, but didn't do the freeplay penny trick. Should I go ahead & try?

Currently reading your score reel tips on page 1 of this thread. Great information here!

#125 11 years ago

No that credit wheel plunger is still stuck. Have to get some of that lubricant and spray away.

Credit wheel is at 0. Turn on the machine, the slot reels go until I press the left flipper button to turn on the light.

#128 11 years ago

I agree there's too many things going on.

Pin-it said: The two top contacts looked bent together(from the photo you posted) already for freeplay.

But I should do the penny trick anyway, right?

So, first I'll get the lubricant and try to ungunk the plunger, as explained above. Then, do the penny trick? and so then what number should the credit wheel be at? Then I'll see what happens.

Doe this sound like a good sequence?

#139 11 years ago

OK I just ordered Superlube and a webcam from Amazon; I don't have a mobile device. Perhaps I can Skype with Pafasa or Pin-it next weekend? In the meantime I'll try to get that solenoid working.

#142 11 years ago

OK I agree, let's back up. I've gotten so much information from you guys that I haven't had time to do everything you mentioned. And it's all quite overwhelming for a beginner!

OK. Back to square one. Let's just take it one item at a time. My fault for asking so many questions, cuz I couldn't keep up with all the answers!

First, score reels not working. Shows 00010. I reset the 1 to 0 manually; however I didn't understand the warning "don't bend the little leaf switches" so I ignored it. Perhaps I messed up something back there, cuz then when I got the scores to work in a game, you noticed that the 10 reel wasn't working. That's the one I "fixed". It really is gummy and dirty back there; I noticed that on the bell mechanism too; a little sticky. My fault for doing nothing about the score reels back then; I was so into checking the tilt mechanisms and making sure my fuses were correct, that I must have missed this point.

Let me clean up back there when I get the lubricant and maybe you can show me what a leaf switch is, and we'll see where it goes.

#144 11 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Ok! On the slot reels running non stop...
I am able to duplicate this behavior by holding in the out hole relay and then turning the power switch on. Is it possible that the spring also came off his relay or could there be something holding it in? It is the third relay in the row coming from the front of the machine. Here is a pic of what it looks like when the machine is off.

Notice all the switch positions. Not sure this is your problem but its what I got so far.

I think mine is the same. If I number those blades from the bottom up, the ones touching are 1-2 and 4-5 and the others aren't touching at all.

#146 11 years ago

Now that I know how to move the plunger manually - thank you - in the backbox I can move them pretty easily but they don't bounce back to their original position; they stick and I can gently push them back. So that's what I mean by gummy. I'm talking about all the plungers into solenoids at the match unit; ball count unit; and replay unit; all do the same thing. Except that one solenoid that's frozen solid under the credit wheel, which, now as I understand it, I don't need to do anything because I've connected the two red wires, correct?

#147 11 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Take your ball out and tilt the playfield all the way up so it leans on the back box and won't fall back down. Get a flashlight and focus it on that outhole relay with the machine powered off. Are all the switches as you described? If so, While watching that relay very closely, reach down and turn the machine on. Does it go into that constant run of the slot reels even with all the lights off? AND does that relay "pull in"? Then turn the machine back off and keep watching that relay. Does it release?
Let me know...

I'm looking into the cabinet, right? it's not on the underside of the playfield, correct?

#151 11 years ago

Hi I just tried this with one of my score reels, the 10. And it clicks & moves pretty well. But I noticed that the contact switches didn't always open/close with every click, only with some of them; should they be moving every time?

Lots to catch up on and I'll be able to tackle more this weekend! And of course I'll have more questions.

Thanks, guys!

#156 11 years ago

Great animation; thank you!!!
you know I never would've gotten a machine if it weren't for this site. I'm learning so much!

#158 11 years ago

wow. Flood is right; it's all so overwhelming! It's hard for me, at this point, to look up something if I'm not really sure what I'm looking for but I'll keep trying!

Here's my plan: I get my Superlube tonight; will work in the backbox. Will check all score reels. I think I can clean those dirty contact switches with q-tips & rubbing alcohol, and then file the contacts points, right? Superlube on the metal joints. Don't touch the solenoid. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

On the credit wheel: You saw in my video that I could move the wheel easily by grabbing a pin; I can also just grab the white numbered wheel & move it; is there something wrong there? It goes in one direction; I think with the numbers running upward; I can't move it the other way.

#164 11 years ago

OK I'm getting a little discouraged here.

I lubed the pivot points but they still seem stuck. Ball count thing and credit wheel and score reels not working. Buzzing and slot reels going crazy on startup. I will look at Pafasa's handy tips in this thread and try them out tomorrow, on the buzzing & slot reels.

Anybody available to Skype this weekend? I bet even just 20 minutes would help me tremendously!

#165 11 years ago

Thank you Pin-it you answered my video question!

#167 11 years ago

But can you move the wheel only by pushing at the coils plunger at both blue coils the verticle one and the horizontal one right at the plunger fully pushed in and then fully released and watch the wheel move by increasing it multiple times then removing with the other plunger multiple times with general ease. yes or no?

oh man that's a long question! NO.
horizontal one is stuck solid. I'll work that tomorrow with the lube.

#169 11 years ago

but I thought Pafasa said I didn't have to worry about that one...did I read that wrong?

#174 11 years ago

Thanks for the videos, Pasafa! I'll go back soon & try to work the joints first.

#176 11 years ago

oops! spelled your name wrong

#178 11 years ago

OK the solenoid plunger is solid stuck. I lubed the metal joint above it, but I don't think it'll do anything as that vertical piece of metal doesn't budge one bit. I removed the credit wheel setup and was able to slide the plunger out of the solenoid easily; does that mean it's not burnt or ruined? Then I guess I have to take the contraption apart some more and try to free up that pivot piece.

#180 11 years ago

i don't have to take it apart?

#181 11 years ago

OK I was able to move it with a LOT of pressure! This is gonna take a while...but progressing!

#183 11 years ago

OOPS I wrote something last night; guess I forgot to click "Send"

Do I unscrew the shaft from the back? I'm a little nervous about doing this, as there's springs & stuff attached to it. Can I get the stack of switches out of the way; do I unscrew them too?

#185 11 years ago

OK thanks. NO hurry; I'm going out soon & will be back at it tomorrow.

#187 11 years ago

Yikes! This makes me nervous.

I think this warrants a Skype call, so you can guide me through it.

#190 11 years ago

Thanks, Champ! I agree, the support offered by Pinheads on this site is awesome!

#192 11 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

I think you could remove the screw closest to the switch blades and loosen the other one. There is a nut on the bottom of each of those two screws. Then swing the whole stack as one unit out to get clearance to remove the lever that needs cleaned. This may end up messing with the switch adjustment so take clear pics of the switch position before you do this. There is an "e" clip on the end of the shaft. Carefully pry it off with a small flat blade driver and keep a finger on it the whole time or it might launch itself across your room, never to be found again. Take lots of pics and then remove the three springs. If you want to take the ratchet gear off you will have to unwind the clock spring that is around it. Easiest way is to clamp a small vise grip to it and count the rotations as you unwind it until there is no more tension. Take stuff apart and take pics before each piece you remove. Clean them with a rag and the super line spray and then reassemble. Wind that spring back the same number of turns. Ooops forgot. Make note of the position of the ratchet gear before you remove it.

Could you mark the parts you mention, on the photo you posted, esp the ratchet gear, I'm not sure which one that is, and sounds like it may not be necessary to remove?? this is a little daunting for me...

#197 11 years ago

WOW thanks for the wonderful photos, Pin-it!!
I think you are showing me more lubrication points than I've been doing. Will study your pics and keep trying to work those pivot points free.

#199 11 years ago

Hi guys,

The arm is starting to loosen up; still have to work it some more. I've been lubing the ball count unit & match unit at the same time; I noticed the ball count unit has only one pin on the ratchet gear, and the match unit has none; is this correct?

Also I don't have that white piece of plastic in your photo that I've highlighted in yellow below; significant?

credit_wheel.JPGcredit_wheel.JPG

#202 11 years ago

Replay Unit - PROGRESS!!

Hi guys, I let that lube sit for several days and cleaned the solenoids & plungers tonight with just a bit of q-tip and alcohol. The arm is no longer frozen solid - yay! - but you can see that it's still somewhat sticky. Shall I keep working it? or spray more lube? or is that enough to know that it works, and we can move on?

#203 11 years ago

I saw something scary, though, when I was working on the rear solenoid - I think it's spelled s-o-l-d-e-r - oh-no!

This black/yellow wire is held on by just one strand. I'm surprised the red wire isn't broken; both of them are really tight!

soldering.jpgsoldering.jpg

#205 11 years ago

Hi Pafasa,

Sorry, I don't understand. I thought the machine wouldn't be using that solenoid anyway since I've connected the red wires for free play? Sorry I still don't understand how it works. But I will keep working on it. I'm not hopeful for Christmas, but maybe New Year's? I have all next week off and can devote more time to it.

Nope! no soldering experience; I don't even have the tools!

-Sky

#206 11 years ago

OOPS my mistake, I DO have a soldering iron after all! This is going to be interesting.

#209 11 years ago

Thanks; are you suggesting I keep working the solenoid arm so that it's nice and loose even though it won't be used?

OK the YouTube videos look easy if you have two loose wires and flat surface to work on. In this case it looks like I'm soldering the wire to a little metal tab, is that right? Do I remove the old solder, or just solder the wires back on top of that piece of metal? And these wires are stretched sooooo tight that I'm afraid it'll come off again when I screw the unit back in.

And of course I'll be working in the air rather that have anything stable to work on. I have a cardboard box that my credit wheel has been resting on when I took it out, but still it looks tricky.

My soldering iron has a point, rather than chisel tip; hopefully that'll work. No brand; I think it was probably included in a tool kit...you think it'll work?

#210 11 years ago

Looks like the bare wires just lay flat on the metal tab, so I can't secure them ahead of time? Yikes. How to make it all stay put while soldering?

I just found a teeny tiny label with Radio Shack written on it; I think I'll make a trip over there. They should know what kind of solder I need and maybe sell me a chisel tip.

#212 11 years ago

I just checked the relay switches from the video that you posted for 4Horse. They all seem okay, except it's hard for me to verify them on the game over relay in the far corner.

The only difference I have is that my game relay switch doesn't lock with a latch. Hopefully this is no problem.

#214 11 years ago

The wire is stretched to the limit when the unit is screwed in, so I will have a little leeway if I do it with the unit detached. I'll see which would work best. But do I just lay the wires on top? The videos always say to secure/join the wires together before soldering - but I'm not twisting two wires together, am I?

I'm trying to free up the ball count unit too; it's sticky too so I'll keep working on them both.

I looked at each of the score reels today and they seem to move quite freely. But their solenoid plungers are very dirty. Should I just leave well enough alone, or go ahead & clean them now that I sorta know how?

#215 11 years ago

Yes I could work the game over relay with the latch but couldn't really see if the contacts were opening/closing correctly. Perhaps I'll take a picture to look, cuz my camera is smaller than my head.

#216 11 years ago

But your "game relay" switch has a latch, that's what I was trying to say is different from mine.

#223 11 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

just post what your trying to repair as to the wire size that is needed for what you want to repair and we should be able to guide you to the proper gauge.

I posted it above, with the white arrow pointing to the black/yellow wire that came apart when I removed the credit unit to SuperLube it. It's at the rear solenoid of that unit.

#224 11 years ago
Quoted from Prmailers:

I still think the ball count stepper is the root of the problem...

Hi Prmailers I'm not sure why it wasn't addressed earlier either, although back then, three weeks ago, I didn't understand a lot of the comments made by you and the other experts here, being a total beginner in this area.....

But I've learned some vocabulary since then; and you're right, I believe that's one of my many many problems. The more I look at it, the more things seem to be wrong!

#234 11 years ago

Hi guys, thanks for all your advice! I hope I don't have to take apart the ball count unit; I will keep working it with the lube and hope it loosens up SOON!!

Pafasa, I went to take pics of the game relay switch, and then noticed that it was in the locked position so that's why I thought it wasn't working when I initially moved it back & forth. Here's what I have; hopefully you can tell whether the switches are operating properly; if not I will try to zoom in and do it again.

In the meantime, I've been without a working machine for over a week with units out & trying to lube in the backbox. So I went over to my Bally to play a few games (even with a broken flipper) and I broke that pin too! I had just replaced the fuses to the amp ratings they were SUPPOSED to be at; and one of the fuse holders broke; it happens to be the one in the far back corner of the cabinet - yikes!

Let's get Klondike up and running! Hopefully by New Year's for me! Hey Pin-It should I take down the ball count unit and lay it flat and clean the solenoids & plungers like I did on the credit unit? I've been putting SuperLube on it several times but perhaps it works better if it lies flat?

fuse_holder.jpgfuse_holder.jpg

#235 11 years ago

CLARIFICATION - ABOVE PHOTO IS FROM MY BALLY MACHINE "JOUST"

#239 11 years ago

OK Thanks! That'll be my next project. Just got the soldering stuff; will go practice now...

#240 11 years ago

I had a hard time with the radio shack guy. he was surprised that i was going to take on this job myself. I asked for resin-core solder, and he said HE knew what i needed. he gave me silver-bearing solder; wrong stuff, right? when i asked for a fuse holder he said "i don't know what that is"; so I let it go... now they're closed so I have to wait till tomorrow to get the stuff.

#243 11 years ago

Yeah I think he just sized me up and decided he knew what was best for me. I came with the picture explaining it all, and a list of what I needed. I asked for some wire to practice on, he said no, just find some old wire around the house. I asked for 60/40 and he said the numbers don't matter. He gave me a braided wire to desolder, I think that's ok right?

For the fuse holder, it's waaay in the back corner and I don't know how I can ever get back there. I tried to lift the Klondike playfield to lean it against the backglass, and it's just too heavy I couldn't manage it. Here's hoping the Bally playfield won't be so heavy... I guess I need to grow my arms another foot or so and then wear a set of magnifying glasses

#244 11 years ago

Ball count unit is coming along, needs a little more time. I couldn't remove it as I don't have the right tools to get into those tight spots. (remove the bracket holding it? I tried with pliers but very awkward. remove the unit from the bracket? needs a very short screwdriver but looks awkward too.)
But every day it's a little better, and the replay unit moves real nice now! That SuperLube is amazing!!!

#247 11 years ago

Merry Christmas, everyone!!

I'll try not to bother you guys over the next couple of days; you need time with your families. I'm gonna stand up to that guy in R/S if he's there today, but first I'll just look for the items myself. I don't have a crimping tool so if I solder the fuse holder, I will use the same type of solder, right? The Bally has notches carved out on the top sides of the cabinet for the playfield to rest on; nice!

Hopefully my next email will show some PROGRESS!!!!

#250 11 years ago

oh crimper AND stripper? maybe I have a crimper then! didn't think so. would that be easier than soldering in that tight spot?

Well yesterday the guy was so arrogant maybe cuz he was showing off to me as I was the only customer in the store. Today I went back to R/S and the same guy was there, but the store had a good handful of customers. I went straight to the back and found the fuse holders, 18 gauge wire, solder, and heat shrink tubes, and when I got to the cash I complained to him that he had given me the wrong solder yesterday insisting that he knew best, and I showed him what the fuse holder looks like cuz he had said he didn't know what it was. Yeah! I said it loud enough. Because there were other people around, he just quietly took the return and made the sale.

#263 11 years ago

???

shocked.jpgshocked.jpg

#264 11 years ago

Looks like I only have a wire cutter after all. Yikes! Jaws open indeed. Another overwhelming project to tackle. But I will read and reread what you've shown me here, you're so helpful!

On to soldering today, though. I'm thrilled, the ball count unit was still sticking even after working it and waiting for the lube to soak in for days. But yesterday I cleaned the tracks from the wipers on the back with the business card/alcohol method and it works like a charm now!!

#266 11 years ago

OK where do I get those little plastic connectors? (= do i have to go back to RadioShack?)

#267 11 years ago

This is what I have. Now that I see your closeup of a crimper, I think I might have a crimper too, is that right? if so, what size do I use for this project?

wire_cutter.jpgwire_cutter.jpg

#270 11 years ago

so, yes, I have a crimping tool?

#273 11 years ago

Still confusing to me at this point; sorry!

Will have to study this thread again and again. Thank you for all the information.

If I get comfortable with soldering, I'd rather do that instead, like Pafasa says, one less extra thing to learn; but we'll see how reachable it is...I'll let you know and then I'm sure I'll have more questions!

#276 11 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Any presents yet?

Just learning to play the bass guitar. Got a NICE!!! bass amp & speakers that make the guitar sound SO COOL!

HA! Mid-life crisis, I guess. Pinball, and bass guitar.

#277 11 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

On your crimper/stripper tool closer to the handles is the stripper section which has numbers marked on it which match it to the size wire you want to strip.
The part on yours that says AWG.
In fact on it says wire cutter ,go cut a small piece (about 3-6" long)and being you got the wire match the wire size to the two half moon shaped section ,about a 1/4" sticking out from one side to the other on the tool squeeze down and slowly pull the sheathing off the wire exposing the copper.

OK are we going back to the soldering steps, or is this still the crimper/fuse holder information?

#280 11 years ago

So, you were describing how to strip a wire, using the wire cutter section, right?

#282 11 years ago

OK great, thanks!

I'm gonna go practice soldering now after watching those YouTube videos again. I still think I need to extend the wire that broke off, before soldering back on, so I'll be stripping/cutting/ heat shrinking for just that extra half-inch or so.

#285 11 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Either way you have to remove that old fuse block and put the new one in to replace it?

Both methods require you to cut it loose from the fuse block.

JOUST:
OK thank you, I hadn't gotten that far to even figuring out how I was going to remove it. But nice to know I have the right tool. Will check the black wire for slack and let you know.

#287 11 years ago

Thanks, Way2wyrd, that's my plan. I just don't understand though how it doesn't reach now that it's disconnected, but obviously it was connected well at one point. Can I break the rubber bands that are binding the wires together to try to stretch this one again?

#289 11 years ago

OK great information, thanks!

#290 11 years ago

Wow that was easier than I thought! I pulled out old wire strands that were stuck on there, and was able to cut enough of the harness to pull the black/yellow wire back to its position without having to extend it. Shiny!!

first_soldering.jpgfirst_soldering.jpg

#293 11 years ago

Hi guys,

I just turned on Klondike.
The scores are adding up now; duh! I just had to connect the backbox to it a little better. The buzzing seems to have diminished too, now.

Lights not on or flashing in backbox. The only light I see is TILT when I turn it on.
Lights on the playfield are working, though; bumpers & targets & slingshots and everything working well on the playfield (except for one rollover button).

If I set the replay unit to 0, nothing happens. If I set it to 1 or 2, it gives me endless balls. Ball count unit not lighting up. Even though I've loosened up those three units back there, somehow they are not connected to the game, I think. I don't know for sure cuz I really don't have much experience playing pinball (surprised?). The only unit that seems to be working now is the bell - but if there's a light that goes with it, it's doesn't go on.

So now I've turned the game off, as it keeps giving me balls. But the score won't reset when I turn the unit back on again, and I can't play at all. So do I need to manually reset the score reels to 0? Hopefully you guys can see something in here to let me know what to do.

Pafasa, earlier I wrote that the game relay switch seems to be working, after all; not sure if you saw that one. But I still have that problem of the slot reels turning when the unit turns on. In fact, that's all it will do now when I turn it on, with the numbers still on the score reel from the last unfinished game; it won't go out of that loop. I will go back & read your posts regarding that.

As always, your help and expertise is greatly appreciated!!

#296 11 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Are you talking about the Jones plug?

the set of pins/plugs that you connect the backbox to the cabinet. it wasn't in all the way.

#297 11 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Looks like you have slack in the orange wire ,what about the black wire on the other end of the fuse holder? Any slack?

JOUST:
On the Bally:
I found a way to reach it, and will solder - I'm getting dangerous! Have stripped both wires but the black wire is a stretch - can I reverse black & orange sides? and do I just solder it to the metal tabs that are sticking out on each side? thread the wire through first?

#298 11 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Lets see if you can find this relay called/labeled coin or coin unit somewhere?
Maybe Pafasa can direct you to the location of it.

in the backbox or in the cabinet?

#300 11 years ago

Cannot find coin relay. Found some 10 cent adjustment pins/plugs.

#302 11 years ago

Joust post - deleted.

#303 11 years ago

Back & forth from one machine to the other, different ends of the room - going slowly, cuz I have to close one pin up w/ PF glass before going to the other, as I don't want my cats to jump up when it's left open, unsupervised.

#305 11 years ago

Joust post - deleted.

#307 11 years ago

JOUST:
No. Totally horizontal, upside down, crosswise on the cabinet. Leaned back did not give me access to the far corner.

#309 11 years ago

JOUST:
Yeah, I may have messed something on the underside when I was putting it back in, cuz I rested it on the cabinet before I placed it in properly...yikes!

#311 11 years ago

JOUST:
oh well. that'll be next year's project...

#312 11 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Then you can do that too just unplug your wires first.
Remember which and where they go!!

JOUST:
I didn't unplug. They are quite long!

#316 11 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Not sure where you keep your pins but if you have an unfinished basement you can put a screw in type hook into a joist and use a thick black type of rubber bungy or rope to hold it up too.

WOW what a great idea!

Quoted from Pafasa:

The coin relay is the second from the back. Right next to the game over relay.

Thanks, Pasafa, my labels are worn out back there. So what do I do with it, just make sure it's opening/closing correctly?

Hope you had a great Christmas! Pin-it has been keeping me company today...

#323 11 years ago

JOUST:
OMG it probably took me an hour to solder that fuse holder in the Bally! (tricky spot)
And I was REALLY SURPRISED that the machine actually turned on after that, and WORKED!!!!!!!!!
I will start a new thread on my zipper flippers.

KLONDIKE:
OK let me get a video to show you the ball count unit. I think it's working okay but you're the experts.

#324 11 years ago
Quoted from the4horse:

LOL, my cats do the same thing if I flip the playfield up they jump inside or especially if I leave the coin door open! One of my cats likes to sleep on top of the backbox too!

Hi 4Horse, so far my kitties have stayed back while I'm working on the machine. But I just can't leave one opened, just in case. Hope you had a great Christmas.

#325 11 years ago

OK here you go, my ball count unit. Please let me know if I start the game with it set at 5, or 0.

Thank you!

#328 11 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

The lower coil is the count up coil 1-5 which will move CW each click till it stops.
So press the upper one to reset it.

SO, are you saying to set it to the point where the vertical contacts at the bottom have opened?

#329 11 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

So nothing got damaged from setting it upside down before?

I
JOUST:
guess not! nothing at first glance, anyway.... OH I did notice a wire that needs to be soldered back to a spot; perhaps I damaged that one or maybe it was already broken...it was on my broken flipper which isn't working anyway due to a broken bushing.

#331 11 years ago

"When the start button is pressed, the credit unit is decremented."

Replay unit, right? so if I manually set it at 2 before startup, it should go to 1, is that what this means?

#333 11 years ago

Just want to make sure I understand. OK let me manually set the score reels back to 0; the ball count unit to 0, and replay unit to 2, and start it up again. Hope I got this right.

#335 11 years ago

Score reels manually set back to 0.
Ball count set to 0.
Replay unit set to 2.

Turn on machine. No sound.
Turn on lights. "Game Over" and "90" in upper right corner lit up (haven't seen that before).
Press Start button: Nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong?

#337 11 years ago

Sorry, I lost you on 2nd coin relay. Pafasa?

#340 11 years ago

I just went through the manual; there are all kinds of relays mentioned but not a 2nd coin relay:

"COIN RELAY:
Is energized by coin switch - also by replay button switch, thru replay unit zero switch."

How do you read this? Is the 2nd coin relay the same as the coin relay?

#342 11 years ago
Quoted from the4horse:

My machine does everything it should at startup but the ball count doesn't increase and it stays at zero and displays 'game over' as it would. When I manually try to advance the ball count it blows the coil fuse (I've gone through about 20 fuses)!I checked all the wiring and the coils and they seem fine.

Hi 4Horse, luckily we're in good hands with Pafasa and Pin-it and the other experts on Pinside! Hopefully they can help us figure out what's wrong. I would never be able to do this without them. I'm actually having fun learning all this, but sometimes I get frustrated and impatient. Today was a good day; I successfully accomplished soldering for the first time and installing a fuse holder! I can see you're much more advanced than me; I still don't understand a lot of your posts...

Take care, we'll get there!
-Sky

#343 11 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

So the joust is fine except for the one flipper and broken wire?

JOUST:
There's probably more going on that I don't know about; but the flipper is very obvious. I just need to know how to take apart the flipper without it falling apart on me! Wondering if the fact that it's a zipper flipper will make a difference, whether there's a special setup or something. Wanna see a pic? I should start a new thread.

#358 11 years ago

RE: SUPERLUBE

The stuff is AWESOME!!!
It completely unfroze my stiff-couldn't-move-it-at-all replay unit without me having to disassemble it! Amazon carries it and my local Ace Hardware special-ordered it for me.

#361 11 years ago
Quoted from SteveFury:

I personally would *never* spray anything other than paint on a pin. If something mechanical is sticking there's a reason whether it be something is worn out, grease is solidifying or out of adjustment. In all cases, the problem would need to be identified and repaired which usually require some level of disassembly/fixing/reassembly.

Hi Steve, I'm wondering if, in my case, the units just haven't worked properly for years. The machine sat unused for several years before I bought it, and prior to that I'm thinking that the ball count and replay units weren't working, as it seems the rest of the machine is in fairly good condition. So a little lube to loosen up the joints, right? Well, only time will tell if there's something else going on there.

#362 11 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

You are right, the4horse and skybug seem to be in the same boat. It would be easier for all of us in my opinion to have it all together.

I'm all for combining, but I hope i can still access 4Horse's thread, as I like to go back there from time to time...

#363 11 years ago

RE: JOUST

Sorry, Pafasa, that you got confused. Basically I tackled replacing the fuse holder in that awkward spot. Pin-it was helping me along. I don't know how to go back & label previous posts - or to delete them, do you know? - but I will start a new thread for Joust.

#366 11 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

IT looks like 3 things must happen ^^^ first the credit is set up with credits on it. Check1
It must go through the 2nd coin relay which means does that lock in? Check2
The ball count switch is clean in the contacts? Check3
Lets do those first before moving on ^^^^^

#1 Credit wheel has 2 credits on it. Check.
#2 The coin relay does not have a latch to lock. It just goes back & forth to open & close.
#3 ball count switch? is that another relay, or am I looking at the unit in back?

#371 11 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Sky, Your ball count unit looks like it is moving well, but Pin-it is right about how to actuate it manually. Decrement or remove balls by pressing the plunger itself on the upper solenoid.

#372 11 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Now...With your ball count unit confirmed at 0, I think it would be a good idea to see a picture of the other side of the unit with all the wiper arms.

#373 11 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Now...With your ball count unit confirmed at 0, I think it would be a good idea to see a picture of the other side of the unit with all the wiper arms.

#374 11 years ago

replay_unit_wipers.jpgreplay_unit_wipers.jpg

#375 11 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

is it possible you have the backbox connector plug inserted worng?

How embarrassing.
They weren't pushed in all the way.

#376 11 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

looking at the unit in back

The contacts that get pressed by the peg on the gear.

Check.

OK now that my backbox is securely fastened, I will turn on the machine again & see what happens.

#381 11 years ago

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#382 11 years ago

you guys don't allow for a break for lunch or anything, do you??

#387 11 years ago

I am so excited! it's very very cool to see the ball count light up and the credit numbers decrease and the score reels turning and to hear the dings and bells and knocks while I play

Slight problem:

At the end of a game, when I press Start to play another game, the "10" score reel doesn't reset to 0 and so the next game doesn't happen until I manually reset it. One time the 10 score reel was already at 0, so the next game happened without a hitch.

I cleaned the contacts on the relay switches in the backbox, hoping the reset relay or the 10 relay would be the culprit. They seem to open & close okay, although I haven't compared them with the manual.

#394 11 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

The 10 reel has not worked from the very beginning! I bet it is the o position switch on the score reel itself.
Pull out the 100 point reel and manually advance it while taking very careful note of the switch positions for each step. Then pull out the 10 point reel and do the same. My guess is that you will find a switch that should only close at "0" is in fact closed all the time. The 100 point reel works correctly so make the 10 point reel switches match exactly step for step. Good Luck!

OK I'm on it!

#397 11 years ago

Nope, they look exactly the same at each step of the way.
I'll try again.

#400 11 years ago

Thank you, Steve, I love your animation & have seen it before; very helpful!
Still no luck. Opening/closing the same as 100 score reel.
when zeroed out manually yes, it adds to the score while playing.

I will check for broken wires again and jones plug best way to clean?

#401 11 years ago

FOUND IT!!!
Another soldering job. Stand by, this'll take me a while.

#405 11 years ago

Pafasa you really gotta learn how to type faster

#408 11 years ago

Hi guys, I need a little advice, please. I can't really put a cloth underneath it, as you can see, I'm in danger of dripping on the connection below. I can't put the soldering iron below it to heat up; place it to the right? Just don't want to mess things up, I'm almost there!!!

score_solder.jpgscore_solder.jpg

#411 11 years ago

Celebrate

This is how I celebrate:

Coke.jpgCoke.jpg chips.jpgchips.jpg

#413 11 years ago

Pin-it I'm waiting for you. Pafasa has so much confidence in me, he just says "go for it". But I'm waiting for you.

#415 11 years ago

ick! Diet?

#418 11 years ago

I don't celebrate with a diet soda. that's for regular days.

#423 11 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Hold on other dog.

#426 11 years ago

that was a little tricky. didn't want to heat up any other wires and they're fairly close together.
Wonder if 4Horse is asleep, do we know what time zone he's in?

#431 11 years ago

Pin-it did I put you to sleep? Aw.

sorry guys I was "celebrating" and playing my Klondike! Just can't stop playing! SO HAPPY! Of course there are a few more little things wrong with it, but it's exciting to see most things work!

I will post a video of it, but it takes a long time to upload to YouTube, so you may have to wait an hour or more to see it.

#433 11 years ago

but now I have a cat on my lap who's been demanding my attention for a while....so you may have to wait a little longer.

#434 11 years ago

but you won't let me EAT dinner!! :-(s
You guys are keeping me busy!!

#437 11 years ago

YouTube says it'll take two hours (!) to upload. I don't know why it takes so long, I have a fast connection but my camera only records in HD so that must be the reason.

Good. Gives me time to play some more, AND have some dinner!

Seems like a lot of my problems (buzzing, slot reels) went away and maybe that jones plug in the backbox was the problem all along! Still have a rollover switch to tackle, and some lights on the playfield that either don't come on, or stay on...minor stuff from here on, I think... I hope!

Question: I still don't completely understand how the credit unit works. Do I need to go back there and manually set it to some number so that games can be played?

#438 11 years ago

Hullo? Where is everybody??

#441 11 years ago

OK here it is. I couldn't figure out how to make it vertical, so you'll have to move your monitor vertically.

#442 11 years ago
Quoted from pabilo21:

So, how to you get the nut off the shaft on the side with the wiper contacts. Do you hold the gear with your hand or "jam" it from the other side? I do not want to break anything.

SuperLube!!! You may not have to disassemble it after all.

#444 11 years ago

Thanks, 4Horse! Hope yours will be up & running soon too!

G'nite,
Sky

#448 11 years ago

Yes I have the two red wires connected. I just though the unit had to decrement each time I pressed the start button; ok let me go see if I can play at "0" and then I'll be good to go!

I had one rollover button at the top not working. I moved the contacts underneath trying to compare with the other rollover buttons, and didn't see anything down there, but then: IT WORKS!!

#449 11 years ago

Silly me. Obviously I still didn't understand how the credit wheel worked. It's fine.

Hey Pafasa is your 500 light always lit up, except when another light in that row turns on? The one straight above the left flipper.

I'm gonna miss you guys! I can't thank you enough for ALL the help you've given me and I've learned SO MUCH from you all!!

#451 11 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Congrats on the Repair!

Thanks!!!!
I'm quite proud of this accomplishment

#452 11 years ago

Mine may have been wired incorrectly. I noticed a slot reel combination that gave me points and an extra ball, but it wasn't on the score card. I just figured there was a different score card around, and I had the wrong one. OK I'll check and report back.

Thank you!!!!!!

#456 11 years ago

Nope, not that one either. I've already downloaded and printed both manuals, although I'm still not good at reading them.

But I found score cards at ipdb.org and will download them and see if any of them match what my machine does. I'm not really concerned; an extra bonus when you're not expecting it is kinda nice.

#458 11 years ago

Awww how nice of you!

#460 11 years ago

WOW - haven't seen this site yet, thanks! But I was able to get them from ipdb.org

#461 11 years ago

The only things left are: new slot reels, and two light bulbs that just won't light. Not bad; I consider it playable now!

#463 11 years ago

Wow! You're quick! Took me over 400 posts to get mine running...

1 week later
#465 11 years ago

Hi guys!

I checked the score cards today and they seem to work fine. The only one that doesn't work is the first one that's supposed to give 3 balls. I hear three knocks, but it only gives me two balls. Oh well. Score reels rack up the correct number of points.

Hey I noticed that the score cards on my machine are a bit different. These may be the originals, as the previous owner said he's had the machine since the 1970's. Thought I'd share with you all.

Happy New Year!

Klondike_score_cards.jpgKlondike_score_cards.jpg

#467 11 years ago

Wouldn't know where to check that. one of the relay switches?
My ball count unit is very clean.

#469 11 years ago

Thanks, Garrett! It's a great sense of accomplishment for me as this is the first pin I repaired, and I learned a lot along the way! And REALLY nice to have it up and running!

#471 11 years ago

I know exactly what you mean, Garrett. Now that my two machines are once again playable, I'm a little bored and would LOVE to get back to that repair-mode again; it's lots of fun! Not really wishing for my machines to break down, but perhaps I can make some space for another one...

#473 11 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

......and it starts!

I started looking on Craigslist today

1 month later
#476 11 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am starting to reread this thread and a lot of it actually makes sense to me now! but still some of it is above me...I will keep referring to this post as there's a TON of useful information, thanks to you all!

Now I'm starting to look at Klondike in more detail.
The manual says: When collecting for a "Special" (3 wagons), the center reel is pulsed at cam switch 5B, so that player must line up reel again."

Does this mean you have to hit the wagon on the center reel twice before getting the Special? and that you can't move the left & right reels while doing so?

#478 11 years ago

Hi 4Hhorse,

I just did it manually, and same thing: 5000 light special, and mine awarded 2 balls (but my score card says Ishould get 3 balls). But what does that stuff in your manual mean? do you have to do something extra to get 3 balls? ..where's the setting in the backbox, and how do you set it?

#481 11 years ago

On mine, the three of them are all in the bottom row. And I'm getting two balls for sure on the slot reel scoring. But aren't replays a moot point if you have it set up for free play?

#484 11 years ago
Quoted from the4horse:

I agree, I'd much rather get the add a ball and have the 'knocker' go off. Why not try it set up like mine with the 2 in the top from left and 1 on bottom right and see how you go!

I guess I don't understand. If the top row is "storage" it does nothing, right? And I think I'm in add-a-ball mode already. If you look at page 9 in the manual it says "insert one phone tip for each replay OR EXTRA BALL required when making a "special". If you look at Game Adjustment on page 8, it explains Add-a-ball position. So, wouldn't *you* benefit by adding more phone tips in the second row? (BTW how does one read that rotary stack? I can't figure it out.)

If I'm reading this wrong - or thinking about it illogically - please let me know, as I'm still really new at this and just trying to make sense of it all...

#489 11 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Not local but not too far to drive either. Road Trip!

boise.craigslist.org link

Guy finally is getting closer to a real price but is still high for the condition of the machine IMHO.

Ken

WOW. I got mine for $300

#493 11 years ago
Quoted from the4horse:

You could try it the way mine is and see what happens?

Yes, I could change them, but...not exactly sure what I'm looking for? The way mine is set, it awards balls according to my score cards, both high score balls and slot reel balls, except that the "special" with the three wagons only awards two balls instead of three.

Please let me know what the change might be if I set it up like yours. I wonder how Pafasa's is set.

#496 11 years ago

I just got three wagons and it awarded me three balls! But most of the time I get two balls. So I wonder if I did something different this time...

#499 11 years ago

No 4Horse I haven't moved my plugs, as they seem to work well with the score cards on my machine. I still have the three phone plugs in the bottom row.

I'm really starting to play this machine! And now the up-post sometimes sticks (in the down position) with a buzzing sound until some more play happens, then it goes back to normal. Would this be just a matter of cleaning the coil sleeve & plunger?

Also, my left flipper doesn't have the range that my right flipper has; it doesn't swing all the way up. Another cleaning of the coil, and adjustment of the flipper, I suspect?

#500 11 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

You didn't do anything different. The machine did. There is probably a dirty or mins adjusted switch somewhere. If you want to dig, let me know and I will start studying that part of the schematic.

OK thank you! I'll start looking in the backbox. I'll clean those phone plugs and then look for some contact switches to clean.

#503 11 years ago

I got the impression that it was down & trying to come up, but I'll check again...I'm out tonight so it may not be till tomorrow night when I get back to you...

#504 11 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Sounds like you have the Game Adjustment 4-high Stack Rotary Switch set to Add-A-Ball and it sounds like it awards you appropriately on all the bonuses except for the Special Bonus. Sounds like the special should award you three balls but it usually awards you two and only sometimes three. Correct?

If so, you must have all three phone plugs in the lower half or the feature adjust jack. Right?

Correct.
And correct.

Quoted from Pafasa:

If so, start by cleaning the tips of the phone plugs and then manually set the wagons to award a special bonus and manually put the ball in the center saucer to see if you get all three balls awarded.

Yes! Just as I said, at the bottom of page 10 of this thread. I think I'm getting smarter

#506 11 years ago

there's a ton of stuff that can be deleted; I look back and see how dumb I was...

#509 11 years ago

Newbie - yeah I like that better - thanks!

#510 11 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

bet the white rollover button in the center of the playfield is sticking down. Fix this problem quick before you burn up the post solenoid. It should not sit there and buzz like that.

I just played 5 games and it didn't happen tonight at all. Perhaps just a bit of dirt; I'll pass the flexstone through the contacts in the areas that you mentioned. Will let you know if it comes back.

Thank you!

#512 11 years ago

Yes sir

#513 11 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

If so, start by cleaning the tips of the phone plugs and then manually set the wagons to award a special bonus and manually put the ball in the center saucer to see if you get all three balls awarded.

Then check back here with your results!

WOOHOO!
Dirty phone plugs. Now awarding 3 balls every time!!!

#514 11 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Don't forget the white rollover button that says down post. It may be sticking down.

You're so smart, Pafasa!
It seems to stick once every 20 times or so, when I push it manually. I cleaned around the bottom portion, but now looks as though I need to disassemble the button to clean it. Looks like something I can handle. (But let me know if I should be aware of any surprises!)

This is so fun to work on little things, a bit at a time. Always something to do, eh? Funny, cuz I thought I was done in December, once I got the machine up and running...

#516 11 years ago

OK thanks! I'll tackle that tomorrow.
How about one of the top rollover buttons: when the ball lingers on it, it creates a buzz...I'm guessing that's normal? The buzzing stops when the ball goes away.

#520 11 years ago

Yes, I never moved them; just cleaned them. All three on the bottom row.

#521 11 years ago

WOW.
What seems simple, never is.

I broke the little clip when I tried to pry it off the rollover button - does Home Depot have more? AND wanted to ask: is the chewed up plastic piece problematic?

P1000903.JPGP1000903.JPG

#523 11 years ago

thanks. and the end of the plastic shaft looks okay? do i need to replace this part? just wondering if the chewed up end is not hitting the contact straight on...

#526 11 years ago

Thank you both!
Verrry helpful, as always

#528 11 years ago

Yes, thank you! Home Depot didn't have them and I haven't made it to the auto parts store yet, but maybe I'll just order from PBR.

5 months later
#548 10 years ago

Sorry guys I've been away for a while, but nice to get back to this thread and read about this machine. I still have mine and amazed that o-din fixed everything wrong within a couple of days, when it took me & Pafasa & Pin-It and others about 2-3 weeks during the holiday season to fix mine...of course I was a total beginner and if you start reading this thread you'll see how clueless I was...

2 weeks later
#551 10 years ago

Nope I'm maxed out with my three. No more room!!! but I still have some stuff to do on them, which I've asked about but haven't tackled yet. for me it'll probably take 10 times as long as for you, so waiting for some time off to put my attention to it.

#553 10 years ago

Yep, life gets in the way. Perhaps during the holidays again, like last year; that was when I first started this thread. But I will never be able to lift the heavy GS playfield off by myself to change those pop bumpers; even with help I can't figure out where to put it to work on it - don't know how I'm going to handle that one...we'll see....

#555 10 years ago

hey there Pin-it how ya doin?

#557 10 years ago

Nope! replied to that question at the top of this page, when Pafasa asked me the same thing

#561 10 years ago

whatcha got? a bagatelle? surely something newer than that!

#563 10 years ago

Cool! No flippers? Interesting game, congrats!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Skybug.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-klondike-startup-problem?tu=Skybug and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.