Klondike Center Reel (resized).jpg
Klondike Left Reel (resized).jpg
Klondike reel wiring error (resized).jpg
DSC_0213 (resized).JPG
DSC_0212 (resized).JPG
DSC_0211 (resized).JPG
DSC_0210 (resized).JPG
#1 2 years ago

I just got a Klondike and it did not score properly when I had three hats lined up. Half of the hats on the center and left reel were dead. I read about it but nobody explained or showed how to fix this factory mistake.
My machine was missing a jumper wire on the center reel. It was missing two jumper wires on the left reel. The pictures show where I added them.
Now it works great.

DSC_0210 (resized).JPGDSC_0210 (resized).JPGDSC_0211 (resized).JPGDSC_0211 (resized).JPGDSC_0212 (resized).JPGDSC_0212 (resized).JPGDSC_0213 (resized).JPGDSC_0213 (resized).JPG
#2 2 years ago

You can see there were never any wires by looking at the solder area. This machine was scoring improperly for its first fifty years of operation. I suspect the next fifty years to be relatively easy to keep this one working good.

#3 2 years ago

Good luck with your warranty claim.

#4 2 years ago

A repair 50 years in the making!
Well done!
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact ... for board repairs
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#5 2 years ago

Just finishing up a Yukon for a customer....and sure enough, some of the reel combos do not score correctly. Will check for and add those jumpers as needed. Good catch and thanks for sharing........just in time.
Bob/Drain1 in Vermont

#6 2 years ago

Changing conservative combo settings to liberal.

Nice catch. I have a Klondike tore apart. I will look at my reels. Thanks for the tip

#7 2 years ago

45 Years ago, My Klondike reels didnt score 100%. Now I know Why!

#8 2 years ago

I saw it with my own eyes…(well I did do the soldering )

#9 2 years ago

That's a pretty neat discovery. It's hard to be sure from the photos but I've tried to summarize the connections that should be there. LMK if I missed something.
Klondike reel wiring error (resized).jpgKlondike reel wiring error (resized).jpg
The missing jumpers are highlighted in red in the schematic. The jumper on the center reel (not shown on the schematic) is necessary because it looks like they didn't run two yellow-green wires between the left and center reels.

Beware that the board drawing is from the opposite side as the photos above so the numbering is reversed.

/Mark

#10 2 years ago

Nice documentation. You’ve also hit on the difference between the logical representation of the circuit (the schematic) and the physical representation (the wiring). A line between 2 points on the schematic could be implemented differently in the wiring, as you found. That probably contributed to the factory error. Somebody missed the jumpers, either in the assembly instructions or on the floor.

Hope to find one of these machines one day. Either way, this stuff is cool to discover.

Dave

#11 2 years ago

I had two examples (Gold Rush) that had the same issue. I reported it to the IPDB back in '04.

"A game owner reported to us that he has two examples of this game and both left the factory with the wiring incorrect on the right playfield score reel as compared to the schematic. Two wires were crossed on this right reel which caused incorrect scoring on some score reel combinations. We do not know how many other games left the factory with this wiring error."

You should contact them

#12 2 years ago

I’m fortunate my Klondike has always worked fine. Nice catch. Thanks for the documentation.

#13 2 years ago

I've always assumed that mine was scoring correctly but the next time I'm playing it I'll have to check.

#14 2 years ago

to mark g.
that drawing complicates my simple fix. please advise.

#15 2 years ago

The jumpers you added are in red on the schematic in reply #9. Even though they're missing in your game, they're there on the schematic.

The printed circuit board drawing shows the pins (from the reverse side from your photos since that's what is in the parts catalog) in red that the jumpers are connected to.

1 month later
#16 2 years ago

Nice catch, in case it helps, here are some pics of the reels from my working Klondike. As you can see the jumpers are already on my pin.

Klondike Center Reel (resized).jpgKlondike Center Reel (resized).jpgKlondike Left Reel (resized).jpgKlondike Left Reel (resized).jpg

Klondike Right Reel (resized).jpgKlondike Right Reel (resized).jpg
#17 2 years ago

Did manufactures release technical service bulletins to operators to fix errors like this after release?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-klondike-slot-wheel-wiring-factory-defect-fixed-after-50years and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.