Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0151[1] (resized).jpg
IMG_0150[1] (resized).jpg
IMG_0148[1] (resized).jpg
IMG_0149[1] (resized).jpg
Pinball (resized).png
#1 6 years ago

I have a Klondike pinball that may have a strange issue that could be a design flaw...? I think you need to be familiar with this game to help me, but here it is...
The advance reels with the 'slot machine' three images lining up are set to line up and reward with replays and score extra points. At the lower corner is the explanation of the scoring for this game. The most common reward alignment is the 3 hats to line up that will reward you with 3000 points if aligned, and the ball hitting a scoring relay to score the points.
I noticed that once in a while, all three hats would line up but would not light the 3000 light to get the score. It would stay on the basic 500 point score instead. All of the other alignment options were correct and pay off correctly. As I kept playing and noticing this, I saw it was related to the right wheel. It has four hats, but would only make the correct circuit on three of them. I pulled the wheel out, cleaned it, checked solder connections with an ohm meter, and made sure it was in tact and re-installed it. It did not help the problem. I removed the wheel again, and disassembled it again and looked closely at the whole wheel mechanism. As I looked at the wiring and contacts, I noticed that the one hat in question had no wire soldered on going to the end of the circuit board for that position, and it never had one. Some of the wires are jumpered on the backside of the board, but this solder lug has nothing on it. I can't figure out if this is an assembly error, or is there a different way this circuit makes connection, or more likely, do I not understand this circuit.
If someone else is familiar with this game, maybe you can tell me how yours plays, or if your is apart and can send me pics, or good chance some of you guys in your expertise know what I need to do to make it work..
Thanks!!
Walt

#2 6 years ago

First, good job with your thorough investigation and clear explanation!
The schematic tells us that all 4 right reel hats should be wired the same.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#3 6 years ago

Hi Walt and Howard
the ipdb http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1388 tells us (Notes) : Reportedly ...
and here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/klondike-bonus-scoring is an discussion. Greetings Rolf

#4 6 years ago

Howard & Rolf.. Thanks so much for the info. I am so thrilled that I may have been subjected to a factory flaw and not my stupidity getting the best of me. You guys are great. I'll look into this closely and report back!
Thanks again, Walt

#5 6 years ago

Ok, we did it! An incorrect jumper wire. Thanks a lot guys for the remedy, I really appreciate it.
Thanks Howard for the compliment on my investigating.
Walt

2 months later
#6 6 years ago

Pics of the current wiring on my reels. From top to bottom:

Left
Center
Right
Right

IMG_0149[1] (resized).jpgIMG_0149[1] (resized).jpg

IMG_0148[1] (resized).jpgIMG_0148[1] (resized).jpg

IMG_0150[1] (resized).jpgIMG_0150[1] (resized).jpg

IMG_0151[1] (resized).jpgIMG_0151[1] (resized).jpg

4 months later
#7 6 years ago

So these 4 pics are the correct wiring for the bonus reels?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-klondike-advance-picture-reel-issue?hl=mrbanjo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.