• 14 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by idealjoker
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Hi

New member and first post here. I have just bought a Jungle Lord after having played one daily for several years when I was at college from 1981. Always wanted one and finally have the space, the money and the opportunity.

Anyway, after fixing numerous light row/column faults I am left with just one issue that has me completely baffled.

If I set the Attract mode to not use speech (function 37 option 10) it ignores it and continues doing it. The setting is still there even after a power off.

Also, and maybe related? After a game the attract mode will continue to play whatever background sound was playing when the last game ended. Very irritating. The only way to get it to stop is to power cycle.

MPU onboard test is all ok and soundboard onboard test is all ok

Any ideas where to look?

Thanks in advance!

#2 2 years ago

You might have a bad connection between driver and sound boards (or a bad driver signal / sound board receive signal line).

Does the sound board make a different sound in each of the diagnostics sound test steps 00 - 04?

#3 2 years ago

Yes, sound test is perfect. I have checked the connections and looked for dry joints too.

#4 2 years ago

I would say next check the sound board ROM for correct version, but if the speech is OK and the game makes correct sounds during play, it is probably not a ROM version issue.

I still think it is a communication problem between driver and sound boards. But since you already checked those... Very strange!

#5 2 years ago

So I decided that I should check again the connectors and loom from MPU to Sound board. I have resoldered all the connectors and have full continuity.

Possibly connected issue. If I change the default High Score (2,000,000), function 13, this too is ignored. Other functions are obeyed, ie 18 (maximum Credits) 30 (number of balls) etc.

As far as I can tell I have the correct sound ROM, all sounds appear correct when playing the game.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from val33:

If I change the default High Score (2,000,000), function 13, this too is ignored.

That's not how that works. After you change it, you have to reset it. That's what the HSTD reset button in the coin door is for.
You're just changing the 'backup hstd'. (i.e. the default WHEN you reset)

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

That's not how that works. After you change it, you have to reset it. That's what the HSTD reset button in the coin door is for.
You're just changing the 'backup hstd'. (i.e. the default WHEN you reset)

Well that was a bit embarrassing! OK, that problem solved.

Back to the attract mode sound issue. I'm thinking my next step would be to change the PIA at IC36 on the MPU?

#8 2 years ago

Just curious, what version of the ROM are you using?

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Shogun00:

Just curious, what version of the ROM are you using?

The game ROM appears to be marked as R2

Unfortunately I do not know what version of the sound ROM I have (if there are different versions?) as they have plain white, hand written labels just saying 'sound rom' and 'speech rom'.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from val33:

The game ROM appears to be marked as R2
Unfortunately I do not know what version of the sound ROM I have (if there are different versions?) as they have plain white, hand written labels just saying 'sound rom' and 'speech rom'.

I know that there is an unofficial Home ROM for this game besides the official versions (L-2 was the last official version), that made quite a few changes to the ruleset and settings. I'm wondering if the attract mode was one of the changes?

Have you tried performing a factory restore? It possible it could be just be a glitch, which isn't all that uncommon if the memory protect switch (white switch at the coin door) isn't working correctly.

#11 2 years ago

Factory restore -- no change

Changing PIA IC36 -- no change

#12 2 years ago

I took a look at the handbook over on IPDB.org. What happens when you use option 11 for attract mode (no speech / no magnet memory)?

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from Shogun00:

I took a look at the handbook over on IPDB.org. What happens when you use option 11 for attract mode (no speech / no magnet memory)?

Same thing, no change. It just seems to be ignoring the instruction for some reason.

4 weeks later
#14 2 years ago
Quoted from Shogun00:

I know that there is an unofficial Home ROM for this game besides the official versions (L-2 was the last official version), that made quite a few changes to the ruleset and settings. I'm wondering if the attract mode was one of the changes?

The JL Home ROMs that I created all report a different game number (2513) from the original ROMs (2503). And all my variants have different version numbers, so it should be possible to identify them unambiguously.

There is another Home ROM from Jess Askey. According to the source code that game will report the same information as the final WMS version (2503 L2) but it requires an MPU jumper modification.

Regardless however, all ROM versions that I have access to use identical code for the attract mode thread that generates the speech. The code simply tests the first digit of adjustment #7 and creates the speech if the digit is different from 1. Based on the other problem you report (attract mode continues game sound) I also think that you have to have a hardware problem somewhere.

Another thing that I would perhaps try is to remove the batteries and unplug the game for a few minutes, just to make sure that the RAM chip is empty.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Langhorne, PA
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-jungle-lord-sound-memory-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.