Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by j_m_
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Before the purists jump all over me, I'm not talking about "blinging" it out. I'm in the middle of tearing it down for a good cleaning and I thought about LED's to keep the heat down, save energy and brighten up the game a bit. I've never installed LED's in any of my games. My FG and Shadow came with a few here and there and I like it. My other games have none and I notice that they are darker. My game room is low light and it takes a while for my eyes to adjust from FG to say WH2O. First, can I install LED's in it? Second, what type do I get? If it matters, Joust has a new all in one board installed in it.

Any pinside Joust owners have LED's in their games?

Thanks,
Steve

#2 10 years ago
Quoted from Steve-in-CT:

LED's to keep the heat down

Bingo !!!!!

#3 10 years ago

go for it, man.

#4 10 years ago

Bling it out then get bored with it and sell it to me.

Especially in low lit gamerooms I think LED's if done tastefully are needed to brighten things up.

I always fancied myself as a purest until I had a few nicely done LED machines next to my old incadescent ones.

#5 10 years ago

I have full Leds in my Joust, I used Cointaker bulbs, color matched blue and green inserts, and cool white everywhere else. I used the 180 wide bulbs, but retros would be good also. I have had it to several shows, and will most likely have it at Expo in Chicago again this year for the 30th! The Leds brighten it up quite a bit, and I don't have to swap burnt out bulbs! I haven't had any issues using Leds in mine, so there shouldn't be any reason to swap boards...mine has the original boards in it.

Phoebe

#6 10 years ago

I like LED's just fine, the frosted cap 44-47 replacements do the job pretty nicely.. I think the #455 replacements are a little lacking because they dont blink fast enough and-or a slightly random speed like the real 455 bulbs do for having the temp actuated reed switch inside (especially the GE's that blink real fast). the fast blinking color changing RGB LED's are pretty cool to play with some places, gives a newer look to something that never had anything like it, as simple as changing a bulb out. just messing around I'd replaced a few bulbs in the backglass, the blinking colored lights play some fun games with the colored painted and letterings, almost like a different colors neon strobing effect, might be worth messin with some. for that, similar LED's with flex heads might be better to play with in the backglass. I swapped in LED's because I got tired of opening the machine every couple weeks (or less) to change a lightbulb that'd burnt out, its much nicer now, but I might swap in some double LED's a couple places where the single frosted domes dont seem to throw light far or bright enough, isnt a big deal, theyre still cheep enough.

#7 10 years ago

i left mine regular bulbs in the g.i. added white , green and blue leds and leftthe orange and yellow normal and it looks great.

#8 10 years ago

I started messing around with ablaze LEDs for mine about 2 years ago, but never finished. like Butterflygirl24 stated, I color matched both the blue and green inserts (it really made the inserts pop)

I didn't like what color matching the yellow, orange and red inserts did (made yellow look amber, orange like red and red, really dark), so I would probably do what she did and go with some form of white. I was looking into using 180 wide bulbs for all of the GI as well, but never got around to it. (maybe when we complete the plastics and I swap everything out

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sellersville, PA
$ 25.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-joust-should-i-install-leds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.