Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Jc-trout
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hello all. I'm having problems with what appears to be a connected row of lights on the right side of the play field. They all do not light up. The lights in question are to the right of the right flipper, under the guard rail, then one behind the right bumper, another behind the right side drop targets, then a couple more along the right side toward the top. They all seem to be connected together, and all the bulbs tested good. I think I've traced the wires up to a connector behind the back glass going to a board, but I'm not sure how to proceed from there. This is my first attempt working on a Williams machine. Any help would be much appreciated and thanks in advance for any help or guidance. JC.

#2 7 years ago

Sounds like youre referring to the GI lights. Does the connector look dark colored?
Did you check the fuses in the backbox with a meter? Williams likes to separate the GI into separate runs all on individual fuses. If fuses check ok, I'd guess maybe cold solder joint on the board headers or connector issue.

#3 7 years ago

Your General Illumination (GI) string is out. Towards the right side of the board are 4 or 5 fuses. First pull one end of each GI fuse on the innerconnect board and test continuity with a meter. Replace any that are bad (open). The next issue could be a tarnished or burned GI connector. There are 3 on the right side and one or two over on the left. Try reseating the connector and see if the lights come back on. There are several GI connectors on the innerconnect board so it might not be the first one you come to. If the lights come back on after reseating, best to replace the header and connectors. GI headers and connectors never get better.

#4 7 years ago

Thank you both for the quick responses. The connector is not discolored if I looked at the right one, and I will double check all of the fuses this evening. Thanks again and I'll let you know what I find out later tonight.

#5 7 years ago

And I will try reseating the connectors mentioned above as well. Thanks again. JC.

#6 7 years ago

This may be helpful:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rate-my-board-soldering-repining-gi-on-system-11#post-2808760

I also ended up redoing the connectors on the relay board under the playfield (the one all the way on the lower right as after you have the playfield standing up) If I remember correctly that issue didnt arise until after i replaced the pins on the Interconnect board

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

I also ended up redoing the connectors on the relay board under the playfield

Good reminder. I failed to mention that Sys11 games used GI relays under the playfield and on the swing out light panel in the backbox to flash the GI on/off. The pins on the connectors on these relay boards carry the same current as the innerconnect GI pins. They can tarnish or become bad as well. Reseat those connectors and see if it gets better. Might need to replace the pins/connectors if it makes the GI come back on.

#8 7 years ago

Here's an update from looking at the machine further. All 4 fuses checked ok. But I noticed on the GI input connector to the immediate right of the 4 fuses had some slight brown colored tarnishing around 2 of the wires. And also behind the back glass on the swing out door/light panel, one of the connectors next to the relay (?) also had some light tarnishing brown color. So I'm going to replace both connectors, hopefully this weekend, and see if that helps. Thanks again for all the input and I'll send another update after new connectors are put on. JC.

#9 7 years ago

It turned out to be a bad GI relay under the play field up under the far right corner. A friend tested the relay and it tested bad, so we disassembled it, made an adjustment on a contact, plugged it back in, and the lights came on. So I have a new GI relay on the way. Thanks again for all the help, JC.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-jokerz-light-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.