Williams Jigsaw - Tilt always on troubleshooting

By jporter1000

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hi All,

I'm a noobie here and would be grateful for some guidance. I picked up a 1957 Williams Jig Saw pinball machine on a whim last weekend and it looks like I have a new hobby. I cleaned it up a bit, secured some loose connections, replaced some old electrical tape and the fuses.

The machine powers up and a game starts when I insert a coin but the Tilt is always on. I've been searching the forums and read that there can be multiple Tilt mechanisms on these machines but I'm not quite sure what to look for or where.

I see the plumb bob mechanism and a ball roll tilt on the left side. The ball roll mechanism doesn't actually have a ball in it. I'm assuming it needs a ball in order to activate the tilt but maybe I'm wrong?

Are there other tilt mechanisms I should I be looking for? I don't have a schematic or manual of any sort so I'm not even sure if the switches on the tilt mechanisms I see are supposed to be open or closed. I have a volt meter and am glad to explore and learn

I would be grateful for any advice on what to look for and where, how to troubleshoot Tilt mechanisms, or any other words to the wise you have to share with someone that's new to these machines.

Many thanks

#2 8 years ago
#3 8 years ago

So if I've understood your problem correctly, the game starts up and plays, but the tilt light is always lit on the backglass?

If this is the case, you probably just have a contact stuck closed on the tilt relay. The relays should be labeled in the cabinet, so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding it. Look for the tilt relay, and check the switches in the stack for proper motion and adjustment.

As for tilt mechanisms, games usually have 2 or 3 types: The plumb bob, the roll tilt (needs a ball to work, but 99% of the games I've ever had came missing it. Don't worry about replacing it.), and the slam tilt. These are switches with big weights on them. They're found usually on the coin door and on the playfield. When triggered, these will instantly shut the game off (unlike the "standard" tilt which just ends your ball in play).

#4 8 years ago

There can also be one on the bottom board, same kind with big weight on it. if a tilt switch is stuck on, i would assume the game would not play, and the tilt relay would be locked on.
you can test the tilt by starting a game, and swinging the plumb bob so it hits the ring, instant tilt. depending on how that game works, either the playfield will go dead, until the ball drains, and the next ball will be served, or the game ends right there.
nice find!

#5 8 years ago

If the game functions and the tilt light is just lit, that means that one of the switches on the tilt 'trip' relay that fires when you actually tilt is a little too close.

It should be Normally Open (NO) and it gapped at the moment so that it is Normally Closed (NC). You can confirm the switch by reviewing your schematic and matching wire colors (if possible).

If the game is in fact tilting out as soon as you coin up, then it is probably one of the standard tilts like the plumb bob or something touching something that it shouldn't.

Good luck!

#6 8 years ago

Thanks All! This is great info. The game powers on when you drop in the coin but is tilting out immedidately. I feel like I have a better idea of what I'm looking for now so I'll go through and see if I can find the problem. Thanks again.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-jigsaw-tilt-always-on-troubleshooting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.