7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by TimMe
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TimMe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 7 years ago

The pop bumpers on this game run on DC. Are the pop bumpers blowing the DC fuse mounted next to the rectifier on the underside of the playfield, or is it the main coil fuse that is blowing?

If it's the DC fuse that is blowing, and the new coils have back-EMF diodes on them, check to make sure the diodes are oriented the correct way. According to the schematic, the band on the diode would go on the lug with the common supply wire - that is, NOT the lug with the jumper going directly to the bumper switch.

Also, just as a sanity check - your game has a total of three pop bumpers (not two), right?

- TimMe

#4 7 years ago

Great, it will be interesting to know what you find.

Please note that those are not called jet bumpers, they are called kickers. Only the three round bumper units in the upper part of the playfield are called jet bumpers (AKA pop bumpers).

The two kickers on this game also run on DC. You will have the same shorting problem if there are diodes on either of those coils, and the diodes are installed backwards - that will cause a short that will blow the 10-amp fuse under the PF next to the rectifier.

If some other fuse is blowing when you energize the kickers, that is important information to know in order to help you figure out the root cause of the problem you are having.

- TimMe

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from bonzo71:

I've never seen a Williams em coil with a diode. It might be a bad bridge. I think it would be worth the $4 to replace it.

Just to clarify, I agree 100% - the coils should not have diodes. I didn't mean to imply that the kicker coils for this game should have diodes. I was suggesting a quick and easy thing for the OP to check when troubleshooting his problem.

In post #1 he says he replaced both coils. It's possible that he accidently put on coils that had diodes attached. We know that one of the basic rules of troubleshooting is: When a new problem appears right after you do some repair work, that repair work should be the first place you look for the source of the problem.

Certainly the new problem of the fuse blowing could also be that the coils are wired up incorrectly, or that the new coils are no good, or any number of other reasons.

For the rectifier to be bad, the original description of the problem would need to be in error. That's because he says in post #1 that the fuse blows when he activates the kicker coils. If the rectifier were shorted, the AC coil fuse would blow whenever the PF had power, not just when he energized a kicker coil. That's why I was asking which fuse he was referring to.

- TimMe

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods
Hardware
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 20.00
Various Novelties
GC Pinball
Various novelties
$ 7.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TimMe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-jet-bumpers-blowing-15a-fuae?tu=TimMe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.