0Jackpot-Work-01 (resized).jpg
reset relay (resized).JPG
foto 4 (resized).JPG
foto 3 (resized).JPG
foto 2 (resized).JPG
foto 1 (resized).JPG
Pinball (resized).png
Capture (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider klokkie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

After working on the reset issue from my Williams Jackpot i thought i had it solved. What happened is that the 10 point and 100 point from the first player was not resetting but after advise from Ronald i did replace the switches on these reels and that solved the issue.

The whole playfield is scoring all points in the correct way and the resets works fine but what still is happing is that when i hit the reset button and the credit unit goes 1 step down but then the strange thing happens, the player light goes from 1 to 2 players and this happens everytime.

So i hit the button 1 time and it goes to 2 player mode.

After the game-over the lights or the ball 5 and player is still burning and does not go out.

I have no clue what this could be so is there someone who had the same issue

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

At end of game, the Ball Count unit should step past where it powers the light for Ball 5. Does it?

I am at work at the moment but yes i do think so.

If i do a manual movement from 1 to 5 on the unit it goes to 5 ball easy and then there is an extra step and the ball light nr 5 is out.

When the machine is normally played and goes to game-over the light nr 5 ball and the player nr are still on, the ball count unit is not making the extra step.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

You might have a short on the P1/2 lite sitch. The likely cause of the end problem is the make/break on the Game Over relay.
[quoted image]

Okay, i need to check that. It looks that the game-over relay works fine, i did not noticed it but had not a real detailed look at it because it worked okay i thought.
Will check when back from work.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

I have no idea what nr means

I mean player nr 1 and so on. I think nr is typical Dutch, it means number.

#9 5 years ago

Got it. The schematic above helped me in the direction needed. It was a mis alignement on the reset relay m.b switch what opens in circuit to replay relay and closes to run the scoremotor. I opened the gap a bit between the switch arms on the make side and that was the solution.

Thanks for all the help.

#10 5 years ago

I did write that i did solve the problem. It has changed to i do know were the problem is.

The machine is still doing strange , one time he is resetting the correct way , now and then he is making the extra step on the coin unit ( so goes to player 2) and sometimes he stays in game over but are the ball and player lights on.

I have figured out that the game-over relay and the coin relay and reset relay are in relation with eachother.

My question is the following : Is there a possibilty that the switches on these relays are getting weaker in the period of time that they are used on the machine ( from 1971 )and that because of this the adjustement is mis aligning so the sequence of resetting is wrong why all these strange things are happening.
Or are maybe bad switch contacts an issue on this.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

Hi Klokkie
I agree with Wizardblom - the bakelite spacers in a switch can shrink and the screws may get loose --- a good article to read is the whole "2f.": http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#clean .
In post-10 You write "Extra-Step on Coin-Unit" - followed by "(so goes to player 2)". I have a problem in understanding - to me "going to player-2" means: The Williams-Player-Unit is stepped so player-2 plays the ball and makes points - faulty as the game has been started as a Single-Player-Game.
"mysterious-fault-A" - do You have an unwanted step on the Coin-Unit (Backglass shows "Two can Play") - or is it a "One can play game" but faulty player-2 gets the points of the first kicked-out ball ? When You start a new game (so You start a One-Player-Game) - and the mysterious-fault-A does not happen - You then press for "Two can play" - do You ever have faults showing up ?
Please do a test - play a ONE-Player-Game till Game-Over so the Score-Drums of Player-2, -3, -4 are all resetted / they all show Zero. Manually step on the Score-Drums of Player-1 - put exactly 00400 points on the Score-Drums of Player-1. Then start a new game - question: Does mysterious-fault-A happen ? (((see the schematics at "7-E" - I have the wacky theory: The Make-and-Brake-Switch on Score-Motor-Index-Wheel, Switch-D, the outmost blade does not touch the second blade when the motor is running. With this switch "Index-D" faulty: The pulling Reset-Relay quits pulling too early. Well, a theory is a theory - I assume You have faulty stepping on Coin-Unit))) Greetings Rolf

Hello Rolf,

I explain. When the machine is in Game-Over and i push the button to start a game the light for "one can play moves to two can play" and i only push the button ones . When i look in the cabinet i see the coin unit making one step.
What also is seen is that you see the coin relay activating and a split second later the reset relay is moving. There is a bit of a delay in the reset relay.

I will do the test tonight when back from work. I also will try to set up a GoPro camera and record what is happening ( hopefully it will work )

#14 5 years ago

I have been working on the Jackpot and had made some photo's to show what is happening. I made a video but that is to large to upload.I do try to explain what i did.
On picture 1 i did turn the power on, so the game-over relay goes to game-over
On picture 2 i did hit the reset button so the lock relay pulls on
on picture 3 i did hit the left button so the lights go on. You see that the game-over ( most left ) burns, that ball 1 lit burns and player 1 lit burns.
On picture 4 i did hit the "start a new game" button and you see that the game-over lit is out and the lit 1 can play jumps to 2 can play and cannot add an extra player anymore. When i hit the button to add a player no response.

I am lost to be honest.

I do have a video (251 MB) but do not know how to upload

foto 1 (resized).JPGfoto 1 (resized).JPGfoto 2 (resized).JPGfoto 2 (resized).JPGfoto 3 (resized).JPGfoto 3 (resized).JPGfoto 4 (resized).JPGfoto 4 (resized).JPG
#18 5 years ago

Hello Ronald,
Attached a picture from the reset relay

reset relay (resized).JPGreset relay (resized).JPG
#19 5 years ago

Hi Klokkie
toward the end of my post-12 I asked You to do a test --- what is the reaction of the pin ? When You do the test 2,3,4,5 times - do You always get the same reaction of the pin ? Greetings Rolf

Hi Rolf,
When i put the game in game-over and all drum (16 ) are at zero, i do 00400 at the player drum and then do a restart the drum goes to zero but the player lit goes from 1 can play to 2 can play

#22 5 years ago

Hi Klokkie
I forgot to ask You to also do a test with exactly 00500 Points on the Score-Drums. Greetings Rolf

Hi Rolf, Do you mean alone on the player 1 drum or also on the 2,3,4 player drums

#23 5 years ago

I am getting mad and did try already a lot of things and what also is happening ( not all the time ) is that when i push the button to start a new game is that the credit unit is NOT making a step back (from 20 to 19 credits)
But when the credit is stepping back , the light from "1 can play" goes to "2 can play" .

I did replaced the credit unit with a complete cleaned credit real but it is still happening.

#25 5 years ago

Hi Klokkie
just play a game till Game-Over - have the Score-Drums of player-2 and player-3 and player-4 all on Zero --- manually set the Score-Drums of player-1 to (00400) - do a test /// set to 00500 - do a test /// set to 00800 - do a test.
The theory I am after is: Having the drums to 00500 then do a start needs FIVE pulses from the turning Score-Motor to step the drum forward to Zero. Having the drums to 00400 then do a start needs SIX pulses from the turning Score-Motor. In ONE turn of 180 degrees the motor can fire maximum FIVE pulses --- doing the test 00400 therefore needs TWO turns of 180 degrees. When the Reset-Relay faulty drops out too early then the Coin-Unit can get an pulse to step-up.
This is my last post for today - time to go to sleep, till tomorrow, greetings Rolf

Hi Rolf,

I got your point and sound logic. I will check.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from wizardblom:

For the credit unit, look if the end peg is not at the wrong side of the wheel.
Unscrew it, step it back by hand until the wheel is under 18 credits en screw it back again.

Hello Ronald,

I do not understand you. I have 2 thin poles on the copper looking wheel. Is this what you mean.

#28 5 years ago

Hi Klokkie
just play a game till Game-Over - have the Score-Drums of player-2 and player-3 and player-4 all on Zero --- manually set the Score-Drums of player-1 to (00400) - do a test /// set to 00500 - do a test /// set to 00800 - do a test.
The theory I am after is: Having the drums to 00500 then do a start needs FIVE pulses from the turning Score-Motor to step the drum forward to Zero. Having the drums to 00400 then do a start needs SIX pulses from the turning Score-Motor. In ONE turn of 180 degrees the motor can fire maximum FIVE pulses --- doing the test 00400 therefore needs TWO turns of 180 degrees. When the Reset-Relay faulty drops out too early then the Coin-Unit can get an pulse to step-up.
This is my last post for today - time to go to sleep, till tomorrow, greetings Rolf

Hi Rolf,

Did a test.

Only on the player 1 drums, all others at zero.

When set at 00400 and hit the button to start a game the drum rotates 180 degrees and stops. The lit goes from 1 can play to 2 can play.
When set at 00500 and hit the button to start a game the drum rotates 360 degrees and stops. The lit goes from 1 can play to 2 can play.
When set at 00800 and hit the button to start a game the drum rotates 360 degrees and stops. The lit goes from 1 can play to 2 can play.

Hope that this helps with the analyse

#30 5 years ago

My theory was "the motor makes another turn, the Coin-Relay is faulty still pulling, the Reset-Relay faulty drops out too early due to faulty "my 8" open switch --- through "my 1, 9" and the switch on the no longer pulling reset-Relay (my blue star): The Coin-Unit faulty steps up.
Klokkie - do You have some 24VAC Test-Lights we can hook-up as shown in the lower right corner of the JPG - then taking the Test-Light near the Score-Motor and look at "exactly what moment in the turn of the motor does the Coin-Unit faulty step up". Greetings Rolf
[quoted image]

Hi Rolf,

Thank you for the explanation, it is clear.
I do not have a test light but will make a set up and do the test. I will try to make a little movie from it when i have the set up made( if i can manage that ).
Hans

#31 5 years ago

Hi Rolf,

I did a test with the volt measuring device as test unit instead of a lamp , when there was a signal the meter reacts. Your nr 9 ( in the diagram ) on the score motor seemed to be wrong and sometimes made contact and sometimes not.
I disasembled the package of switches from the score motor and checked the switch. I looked very good how much distance the switch blades had in comperison with the other switch blades and it had a very small distances and it looked that it sometimes made contact.

When i had the blades on a good distance from eachother the problem was solved and the Jackpot resets all drums to zero and does a not made an extra step.

What now only is going wrong when i start a new game and push the start new game button evrything goes well and the "1 can play"mode is on but when i hit the next time the button to get "2 can play"mode there is nothing happening. What can be this, it is the final issue to get it 100% working.

The playfield is working 100% , so happy to get so far with all help from you guys.

I will make a movie and see if it is possible to upload it somewhere to share

#33 5 years ago

Hi Hans
I do not want to destroy Your happiness (partially fixing a fault) - when You adjust the switch (my red 9) too much so it is faulty ALWAYS open: The fault "faulty stepping-up the Coin-Unit" does not show up - but other stuff now does not functions. See to the right of "my red 9": The Replay-Unit-Reset-Coil must fire (taking away a replay from the Replay-Counter) - does this functions after You have adjusted "my red 9" switch ?
You and I we live in the same time-zone - for me it is late, I go to sleep. Till tomorrow, greetings Rolf

Hi Rolf,

No the replay unit is not stepping down always , it has the same issue of not being consequent . Sometimes it works and sometimes not but when it did work then i had ( 90% of the time ) the issue with the step up of the coin unit. Sometimes it worked and the coin unit did not step up . This is solved.

After the switch adjustment the coin unit works fine and i have no more the issue going to " 2 can play ".

Now i cannot go to " 2 or 3 or 4 can play " if i want to so i think it is in a connection with the replay counter, it looks it does not fire. Also when i start with "1 can play "

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from wizardblom:

Check the end switch on the coin unit, it should open after the fourth player is added.
Close it and it will work like it should (I think)

Hoi Ronald,

It is open now so it cannot step up that is what you mean i guess

1 month later
#38 5 years ago

Sorry for the late reply, but the Jackpot is working fine. It was a little adjustment from switches and this solved all problems . It works 100%.
Thanks everybody for the help.

Jackpot 1 (resized).jpegJackpot 1 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider klokkie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-jackpot-player-step-up-after-resetting?tu=klokkie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.