By JMK

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I own an early sample restored Indy and have a tech question for you guys:
When I shoot the middle shot to lock a ball (behind the drop targets), the ball sometimes gets rejected and seems to hit the metal curve and bounce right back out.
It doesn't happen all the time, but perhaps about a quarter of the shots.

I previously owned a regular production IJ in the past and the ball always entered in smoothly never bouncing out or getting rejects.

I have applied some felt in the curved metal guide to see if that will cushion the shot a bit, however, it hasn't made much of a difference.
Any chance this could be an infrequent issue which only happens on sample/prototype models?

Thanks for any suggestions.

#2 7 years ago

I've never had the ball bounce out of the ball lock. I will definitely get air balls off the drop targets but I think that is common.

Maybe something is deflecting the ball on entry. Are your drop targets falling flush with the playfield when hit?

#3 7 years ago

Happens to me semi-frequently. I have a cliffy's installed, don't know if that's causing it. I've never tried to make it any easier of a shot because I like my games hard.

#4 7 years ago

Thanks for the feedback.
My drop targets appear flush with the pf and there doesn't appear to be anything deflecting the ball on entry. I also don't have a cliffy installed in that drop target area either.

It's really an odd type of problem as the shot seems to require much more precision than my previous IJ or others I have played.

Also, for anyone that owns a Sample or Prototype IJ, I'm curious if they're experiencing the same bounce outs?
Thanks!

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from JMK:

Thanks for the feedback.
My drop targets appear flush with the pf and there doesn't appear to be anything deflecting the ball on entry. I also don't have a cliffy installed in that drop target area either.
It's really an odd type of problem as the shot seems to require much more precision than my previous IJ or others I have played.
Also, for anyone that owns a Sample or Prototype IJ, I'm curious if they're experiencing the same bounce outs?
Thanks!

I would try adjusting the guide rail. Can probably loosen a few screws and nudge it a hair in one direction or another.

Also if your phone supports it try taking slow-motion video of shooting at it. It's great for diagnosing problems that can be hard to see in real time.

#6 7 years ago

I don't recall there being much if any wiggle room on the guide rail- it's pretty rigid/tight in that area with little space for adjustments with the current hardware.
The ball seems to literally hit the back of the guide rail and come straight out. Again, not on all shots just infrequently.
Thanks for the feedback.

#7 7 years ago

Mine does that since I had HEP do the restoration. Drives me nuts. So I agree with FlippyD: It's gotta me some minute angle adjustment if you can just eke the guide one way or the other. In fact, I'm going to try it myself this weekend and see what happens.

Maybe we'll both get lucky.

#8 7 years ago

Beelzeboob, my Indy is also an extremely high end restored game- I wonder if in the re-assembly of the parts that something didn't get positioned 100% properly for both of our pins.

Thanks for letting me know if you're able to adjust the angle on the guide rail- when I've closely eyeballed the area, there seems to be very little 'give' in that space. I'm going to take another look this weekend as well.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from JMK:

Beelzeboob, my Indy is also an extremely high end restored game- I wonder if in the re-assembly of the parts that something didn't get positioned 100% properly for both of our pins.
Thanks for letting me know if you're able to adjust the angle on the guide rail- when I've closely eyeballed the area, there seems to be very little 'give' in that space. I'm going to take another look this weekend as well.

I may need to actually film game play so I can slow it down and see what's actually causing the bounce out. That takes time...and I'm pretty busy. But I'll try to get to it.

#10 7 years ago

This happens to me occasionally. I noticed the top of my scoop is dented. That leads me to believe the scoop is to low. Try bending up the top of the scoop. It's hitting the upper edge and kicking out. It's never making it in the scoop so to speak.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from JMK:

I own an early sample restored Indy and have a tech question for you guys:
When I shoot the middle shot to lock a ball (behind the drop targets), the ball sometimes gets rejected and seems to hit the metal curve and bounce right back out.
It doesn't happen all the time, but perhaps about a quarter of the shots.
I previously owned a regular production IJ in the past and the ball always entered in smoothly never bouncing out or getting rejects.
I have applied some felt in the curved metal guide to see if that will cushion the shot a bit, however, it hasn't made much of a difference.
Any chance this could be an infrequent issue which only happens on sample/prototype models?
Thanks for any suggestions.

You can adjust the scoop curve OR add some washers to the saucer under the playfield to make it a smidge "deeper". Either way works, but the scoop adjustments takes more time/fiddling.

#12 7 years ago

Djshakes and Vireland, are you guys referring to the mode hole scoop?
If so, this isn't my issue as my scoop works near perfect. However, that often does take some extra tweaking as well.

My problem and I believe Beezleboob's, is that we are getting bounce outs from the ball hitting the metal middle ball guide (in the area leading to locking the balls behind the drop targets). The angle of that piece I guess is somehow off.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from JMK:

Djshakes and Vireland, are you guys referring to the mode hole scoop?
If so, this isn't my issue as my scoop works near perfect. However, that often does take some extra tweaking as well.
My problem and I believe Beezleboob's, is that we are getting bounce outs from the ball hitting the metal middle ball guide (in the area leading to locking the balls behind the drop targets). The angle of that piece I guess is somehow off.

Oh. Sorry, that's what I get for skimming. Never had a problem with that one...

That said, you can diagnose it a bit if you take the glass off and have someone record that shot in iphone super-slow-mo as you play. It's tremendously helpful slowing things down enough that you can see what the core problem is and which adjustment direction would be most beneficial.

#14 7 years ago

Is your pin set up at 6 1/2 degrees.? Doesn't sound steep enough. Just a guess.

#15 7 years ago

Never happened to mine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.00
$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

14,000 (OBO)
$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Barrie, ON
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.95
$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-indiana-jones-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.