IMG_6478 (resized).JPG
IMG_6475 (resized).JPG
IMG_6477 (resized).JPG
IMG_6476 (resized).JPG
2019-02-02 14_20_45-WPC ribbon cable to reseat - Paint (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

So a little backstory... for the past four or so years I've been "restoring" a Williams Indiana Jones machine. There's never been anything wrong with it, it's been in great shape... until I got my hands on. I first started small by just replacing the lights, but afterwards I got ambitious and decided to do a flipper rebuild kit because the left flipper had always been noticeably weak. The kit didn't really help, and I took a hiatus until I got ambitious again. I replaced the coils on the flippers which seemed to help a little, but there was still a problem (I eventually fixed this by researching the Fliptronics II board); however, during this ordeal I noticed there was corrosion on the battery pack/board area, so I desoldered it, and replaced it with a battery pack I made, but in doing this I made huge mistake by running the AAs in series instead of in parallel When I started the game again the DMD just comes up blank with the lights turned on. I eventually figured out my mistake and took off the battery pack, but it's been a year and I still haven't fixed it. So, my question is, since I presume the batteries go straight to the ram, do I just need to replace the ram? Or did the over-voltage completely ruin the board? Any help would be great.

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from awesomeaja:

I noticed there was corrosion on the battery pack/board area, so I desoldered it, and replaced it with a battery pack I made, but in doing this I made huge mistake by running the AAs in series instead of in parallel

You didnt do anything wrong here, the batteries should be installed in series to provide 5V to the memory. Recheck all of your ribbon cables, you may have one off a row.

The board corrosion is another issue; if not properly treated, it will eventually destroy the board.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

You didnt do anything wrong here, the batteries should be installed in series to provide 5V to the memory. Recheck all of your ribbon cables, you may have one off a row.

Are you sure it's supposed to be in series to be circa 5v? Because otherwise you wouldn't be able to use a watch battery, as some users do, since it only does about 1.5v. I've checked the cables numerous times, that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Quoted from Pin_Guy:

The board corrosion is another issue; if not properly treated, it will eventually destroy the board.

I've already dealt with that issue - the corrosion wasn't too bad, and I was able to treat it with vinegar.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from awesomeaja:

Are you sure it's supposed to be in series to be circa 5v? Because otherwise you wouldn't be able to use a watch battery, as some users do, since it only does about 1.5v. I've checked the cables numerous times, that doesn't seem to be the issue.

I'm positive, the coin cell batteries people are using are 3V
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

What are LEDs D19, D20, and D21 doing?

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from awesomeaja:

I've already dealt with that issue - the corrosion wasn't too bad, and I was able to treat it with vinegar.

Let's see a picture. If you don't change the parts affected, you will likely see more odd faults.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from awesomeaja:

When I started the game again the DMD just comes up blank with the lights turned on.

Kinda sounds like you may have the ribbon cable plugged in one row off at the top of the MPU board since it sounds like you removed it. Try reseating the ribbon cable making sure it is plugged in correctly.
2019-02-02 14_20_45-WPC ribbon cable to reseat - Paint (resized).png2019-02-02 14_20_45-WPC ribbon cable to reseat - Paint (resized).png

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Kinda sounds like you may have the ribbon cable plugged in one row off at the top of the MPU board since it sounds like you removed it. Try reseating the ribbon cable making sure it is plugged in correctly.

I attempted to reseat the ribbon cables to no avail.IMG_6477 (resized).JPGIMG_6477 (resized).JPGIMG_6478 (resized).JPGIMG_6478 (resized).JPGIMG_6480 (resized).JPGIMG_6480 (resized).JPG

Quoted from Pin_Guy:

One lamp turns on, some gargled mess on the DMD, and all of the LEDs turn on (potential error code?).
Here's what it looks like normally.IMG_6475 (resized).JPGIMG_6475 (resized).JPGIMG_6476 (resized).JPGIMG_6476 (resized).JPG

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from awesomeaja:

The CR2032 batteries people use are 3 volts.

The 3 AA batteries in series are 4.5 volts.

The RAM itself is expecting +5 volts to be its operating voltage, but obviously it will retain contents with much less. Some ram will retain contents down into the 1 volts range or so, but that would be an exception.

From the issue's pictures I'd try pushing on the ASIC (do not try and reseat it unless you have the correct extraction tool). The sockets on the ASIC can be bad I had that issue with my STTNG the pins along the bottom row were 'flattened' out - and it was causing DMD display issues. I pulled the ASIC and very carefully used a fine dental pick to put some tension back into the pins since I don't have the ability to reflow the socket itself with a new one.

#10 5 years ago

Just a thought - I had display issues, and tracked it down to the IDT connectors on the display driver board. With power off, unplug and plug back in those connectors. If that's where the problem is, you should plan to replace those connectors with connectors that use crimp pins, preferable trifurcon. That's on my to do list whenever I get time.

Also, as pinmaniac suggested, make darn sure your ribbon cables are connected properly.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Definitely important to know what these are doing on the MPU at this time. Please be descriptive.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Just a thought - I had display issues, and tracked it down to the IDT connectors on the display driver board. With power off, unplug and plug back in those connectors. If that's where the problem is, you should plan to replace those connectors with connectors that use crimp pins, preferable trifurcon. That's on my to do list whenever I get time.
Also, as pinmaniac suggested, make darn sure your ribbon cables are connected properly.

I reseated those connectors and on first boot up it showed more pixels, but still garbled; however, on second boot up it went back to the fewer pixels.

Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Definitely important to know what these are doing on the MPU at this time. Please be descriptive.

D19 is blank, D20 is blank (it was blinking continuously like normal at one point, then I restarted the machine and it stopped again), and D21 is on.

These are good resources, but from the reading it, it sounds like the display has overvoltage due to the sparkles. Any thoughts?

#13 5 years ago

Are those flashlamps that are stuck on?. I would suggest unplugging as many boards as reasonably possible. I would unplug the DMD board, Sound board and even the fliptronics 2 board. Maybe go as far as just having the power driver board and CPU board connected. See if if you get any functionality back. If you do plug things back in one at a time between power cycles to isolate the culprit. I have the luxury of having other Williams machines with similar boards to swap and isolate so imagine you cant do that.

#14 5 years ago

From this picture, it looks like the ribbon cable is one position to left plugged. Check this
J204.jpgJ204.jpg

#15 5 years ago

Good eye!

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from zaza:

From this picture, it looks like the ribbon cable is one position to left plugged. Check this
[quoted image]

I checked the cable it looked off due to the angle of the picture, but I reseated it anyways to no luck. I'm starting to remember more of what I did when I installed the remote battery pack. I was using a crappy soldering iron when doing the work and accidentally melted the solder of an induction coil and put it back as best I could, but I think I may have not fixed the mistake properly (ie not a solid connection), so what I am to do now, if some of you agree, is that as soon as I attain a better iron I'll resolder the coil.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from awesomeaja:

it looked off due to the angle of the picture, but I reseated it anyways to no luck.

Quoted from awesomeaja:

so what I am to do now,

I would unplug J204 and reboot the machine, just to be sure.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

12,500 (OBO)
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.95
Wanted
$ 85.00
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

14,000 (OBO)
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-indiana-jones-potentially-fried-mpu-battery-over-voltage?hl=slochar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.