(Topic ID: 173892)

Williams Indiana Jones CPU

By Haggy38

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9199 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9198 (resized).JPG
    #1 7 years ago

Hi guys,

I was able to locate a 93 W Indiana jones machine, it's been stored more than 15 years and needs lots of work, it was missing the CPU and dmd driver, yesterday I found a couple of boards, one of them a CPU from 94 like new but it seems some incompatibility, there's a strange chip, rom or pic, is there any way to re write or do something else to get this 94 CPU work with my machine??

IMG_9198 (resized).JPGIMG_9198 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9199 (resized).JPGIMG_9199 (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

It is a WPC-S CPU board and it is not compatible with IJ. The empty socket below the game eprom hosts a security chip.

#3 7 years ago

So there's nothing to do? Pity this board is like new

Gustavo

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from Haggy38:

So there's nothing to do? Pity this board is like new
    Gustavo

Unfortunatelly not . You might be able to trade it here for a WPC CPU board.

#5 7 years ago

Rottendog and TwoBits have after-market WPC89 MPU boards available. Homepin also just started manufacturing their board again.

#6 7 years ago

Thanks guys, I will try to find another one.

Gustavo

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from rygar:

It is a WPC-S CPU board and it is not compatible with IJ. The empty socket below the game eprom hosts a security chip.

Incorrect. That is an early production WPC-S CPU, and the socket below the game ROM is for a 2nd game ROM, which was never implemented. Specifically, from a WCS 94. Early production WCS 94 games had 2 game ROM sockets. I'm not sure if the Demo Man games that had WPC-S MPUs (very limited #s, have only actually heard of *1* in existence, which was in Ted Estes office at WMS when developing the PIC system - but may be more!) had 1 ROM socket or 2.

The PIC is below the ASIC. It's the 28 pin socketed IC below the crystal.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

I'm not sure if the Demo Man games that had WPC-S MPUs (very limited #s, have only actually heard of *1* in existence, which was in Ted Estes office at WMS when developing the PIC system - but may be more!)

Someone else found another one...they posted a thread on it a few months back.

[Edit]: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/proto-demo-man-has-wpc-s-cpu

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Someone else found another one...they posted a thread on it a few months back.
    [Edit]: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/proto-demo-man-has-wpc-s-cpu

I think that may be the machine that was in Ted's office, I discussed it with Ted briefly before the post was even made here, as I sold Dan the ROMs that wouldn't work in his security CPU.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-indiana-jones-cpu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.