Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jwo825
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
Pops.JPG
IMG_0534-599.JPG

#1 5 years ago

Just picked up a '93 IJ and while going through it noticed something odd. I was replacing bulbs and noticed there is a missing lamp socket near the INDY lanes. It's on the right side under a plastic.

I looked under the playfield and there isn't even a lamp socket. The hole is there and so is the pilot for an anchor screw but it is very clear that nothing has ever been installed there. I wonder if this was something else that got cut pre-production.

It'll be a very easy install if I decide to do it, but I wanted to see if anyone has already and has a pic to share. I'd like to see how installing it would affect the GI back there. IMG_0534-599.JPG

#2 5 years ago

I'm pretty sure mine is missing as well

#3 5 years ago

Yes the hole was drilled there, but no factory socket was ever put in I believe. I added my own for a bit more light. You'll find there are a few other holes like that on the playfield.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from ab3:

Yes the hole was drilled there, but no factory socket was ever put in I believe. I added my own for a bit more light. You'll find there are a few other holes like that on the playfield.

You don't have a picture, do you? I think i'm going to install it as it should be simple to just daisy chain it from the existing ones. I'm just wondering what it looks like installed

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from ab3:

I've actually seen this on multiple games throughout the years and generally if I have an extra socket and some wire laying around I just add one in anyways and solder it to the GI

#6 5 years ago

Yep mine was missing too and added it. Fwiw mine is a very low production # (has original lost plastic)

#7 5 years ago

I wish mine had the lost plastic. I may eventually get it. I'm also going to have to lift the playfield again and see if there are any other missing lamps.

#8 5 years ago

Mine was missing, I added it and it looked like it was supposed to be there. I would snap a pic but I sold the game.

#9 5 years ago

Interesting bit about it here. Anyone install this and later have a problem, with a burn't connector or such? Link is down a little on the "Other IJ Questions" section

http://www.pinballrebel.com/game/pins/ij2/shop/IJ_FAQ.htm

#10 5 years ago

I installed it in mine and it made the area brighter. I am betting they removed it because it would be a PITA for an Operator to change that bulb. Definitely put a LED there. These were CT WW frosteds in the GI, Red 4+1s in the pops, and WW Supers in the inserts. This is the best pic I have.Pops.JPG

#11 5 years ago

Just daisy chain it in- here's a pic of mine (sorry for the crappy overexposed picture- it's brighter, but definitely not as washed out as it looks).

image.jpg

#12 5 years ago

I installed this socket as well. If you look around under almost any PF there are holes where it appears GI or even flashers were drilled for but never used. Some it's obvious given close mechs, but this one is odd.

I'm not sure about the power usage theory. Proof of this would be the amount of GI lights in the DM PF, it's bright enough to light a small street with all the lights in there, and same system as IJ, widebody and all.

#13 5 years ago

Well, I'm going to brave it next week. Looks good installed. Thanks for the pics guys.

I'm going to go with incandescents, though. Just can't match that wa glow with LEDs. Not yet anyway.

I'll post back sometime down the road and let y'all know if I fry any boards.

#14 5 years ago

I just noticed this as well. My guess is that Williams was worried the light would interfere with the opto for the captive ball. The opto would be very close to this bulb if installed.

#15 5 years ago

I'm willing to risk it!

#16 5 years ago

Watch you don't burn the GI connector by adding another incandescent to the already over burdened string. That is why I went with LEDs.

#17 5 years ago

A burnt GI connector is easy to correct. I suspect it'll be fine, though.

I have frosted WW Cointakers in TOTAN and I've tried the retrospect as well. Although the quality is outstanding, I was just never happy with them in the GI. I like them in the inserts and flashers, though.

I think 47s use less power? Maybe that will ease the load if adding another bulb.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
St. Petersburg, FL
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside