Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by teekee
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I am looking at a Williams Indy that would need all of the decals (front, side, and backbox) completely replaced as they are all extremely faded. I have seen how much time this takes to do if you want it to be done right, and I personally am not up to the task.

If I paid someone to do it for me (just the labor, I have all of the decals), how many hours of labor and at what approximate cost would it take?

I can get the machine for $3,500 plus the cost of the decals, and it is in 95% working condition with very little playfield wear. So I am trying to figure out if it is worth buying or if I should hold off and spend a good bit more money and find a machine that does not need any cosmetic work.

Thanks guys.

Jason

#2 11 years ago

It's something I'm getting ready to do with my WH2O. I can't say from firsthand experience, but lots of people have been able to do it with great results by just taking their time. I wouldn't let decal replacement put me off from getting a great deal on a machine I really wanted.

#3 11 years ago

I personally would charge about $1K to do side art. It is a very time consuming task. Not sure how many hours it would take, but you have to get rid of the original art, bondo the imperfections, paint a few coats, and then carefully install the new art.

#5 11 years ago

Jason,
$3,500 for an IJ with a minimal wear playfield is a pretty good find. Even if you pay $1,000 to have someone do the decals for you, $4,500 for a pristine game is still doing pretty good.

However, don't sell yourself short on being able to do it. I was scared to do it too when I got in the hobby, but I gave it a shot and it turned out great. It did take a bit of time, but well worth it.

Few pics of my decals are buried in my restore pics here....good luck on your decision

https://picasaweb.google.com/108543089600325575434/IJRestoration#

Scott

#6 11 years ago

$1000-$1200 and you would still be coming out good. See my previous posts for my IJ restoration.
It's a lot of work, but a title deserving of it. With a base model price of $3500, you should totally go for it, just make sure the guy doing the decals knows what he's doing and does it right.

Kevin

#7 11 years ago

$1000 seems a lot to me, but I'm in Europe and prices here are maybe totally different.
Here it's about 300 - 500 euro depending on who's doing it and how rough the cabinet is.

I've done a few cabinet redecal jobs, it's about 10 hours of work for someone that has done it before and has the right tools.

And it's not that complicated to do yourself. It looks difficult and when putting the decals on you have to take care.. most of the time and what makes the most difference to the quality is the prep work, sanding everything smooth. With a good sanding machine that's not too difficult or too time consuming to do.

#8 11 years ago

$3,500 is a great price. I would have been thrilled to pick one up for that.

#9 11 years ago

Grab the pin for $3500. That's a great price! Someone would probably give you $4500 for it. Or just pay the $1000 or so to have someone put decals on for you. Now you have a $4500 IJ with a restored cabinet. Your still in great shape and the hard part is over!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 1,419.00
$ 85.00
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.95
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

12,500 (OBO)
14,000 (OBO)
Wanted
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 29.00
12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-ij-how-hard-to-replace-all-decals and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.