Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IJ with new left side decals (resized).jpg
IJ repainted leg and bolts (resized).jpg
IJ new decals right (resized).jpg
DSC_2164 (resized).JPG
DSC_2174 (resized).JPG

#1 4 years ago

I'm rather new to all this. I am looking at buying new decals for a William's IJ, but don't know enough to look for the right ones. Can anyone list the makers of the most common cabinet decals even if they are impossible to find along with how close they are to the original? Were there decals ever produced by Williams for sale or an office licensed reproduction? Thank you in advance for your time.

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from wawa:

I'm rather new to all this. I am looking at buying new decals for a William's IJ, but don't know enough to look for the right ones. Can anyone list the makers of the most common cabinet decals even if they are impossible to find along with how close they are to the original? Were there decals ever produced by Williams for sale or an office licensed reproduction? Thank you in advance for your time.

PPS had the officially licensed ones, but they have been out of stock for a while. There are some after market set that aren't as good.

#3 4 years ago

My IJ was restored by a previous owner, and if you get close enough, you can tell they were made from photos, rather than scans. Better than being all faded out, I suppose.

But, it looks like Mirco is gauging interest for who might be interested in playfields and radcal cabinet decals.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indiana-jones-repro-playfield-preorder

#4 4 years ago

My 2 cents:

Only buy your decals from someone licensed to print them. It will cost you a few more $, and may take longer to get, but it’s well worth it.

Don’t get in a hurry and buy from a shady overseas seller who claims to have the best decals.

#5 4 years ago

If you need another option to buy from, I have a set of decals I can sell. I was planning on using them but now I'm going the RadCal route.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

My 2 cents:
Only buy your decals from someone licensed to print them. It will cost you a few more $, and may take longer to get, but it’s well worth it.
Don’t get in a hurry and buy from a shady overseas seller who claims to have the best decals.

Well Mirco has no License to do them according to Lucas Arts who reached out to me!

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Flipper_McGavin:

If you need another option to buy from, I have a set of decals I can sell. I was planning on using them but now I'm going the RadCal route.

Radcals are awesome. I know there’s dedicated threads. But of you go the Radcal route ask for the front piece without the start button hole precut. Put that hole in yourself to insure it’s properly aligned.

#8 4 years ago

Which company sold licensed sets? I saw the post about planetary Pinball supply. Where there other officially licensed sets done by other companies? I think I also read about Illinois pinball producing a license copy. Which supplier out of the licensed sets would have the best representation of the original? Thanks again for all your time. I’m relatively new to this.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from wawa:

Which company sold licensed sets? I saw the post about planetary Pinball supply. Where there other officially licensed sets done by other companies? I think I also read about Illinois pinball producing a license copy. Which supplier out of the licensed sets would have the best representation of the original? Thanks again for all your time. I’m relatively new to this.

PPS has the only officially licensed ones. But they don’t really produce them. You’re better off asking around about aftermarket options.

#10 4 years ago

I asked about this company in one of my threads and they had some positive reviews.

They advertise as being licensed:

https://www.free-play.se/en/cabinet-parts/cabinet-decals/complete-sets-5-pcs/indiana-jones-cabinet-decals.html

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#11 4 years ago

Following!

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinless:

I asked about this company in one of my threads and they had some positive reviews.
They advertise as being licensed:
https://www.free-play.se/en/cabinet-parts/cabinet-decals/complete-sets-5-pcs/indiana-jones-cabinet-decals.html

Being licensed doesn't mean high end quality as default - it can be, but not guaranteed. IJ cabinet decal is a tough one, due to orange color, very hard to print it (in fact impossible) compared to silkscreened orange.
Don't they have real pictures about decal (only about hologram sticker)? Strange... Better to ask for pictures, there are many version out there.

#13 4 years ago

following....

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

Being licensed doesn't mean high end quality as default - it can be, but not guaranteed. IJ cabinet decal is a tough one, due to orange color, very hard to print it (in fact impossible) compared to silkscreened orange.
Don't they have real pictures about decal (only about hologram sticker)? Strange... Better to ask for pictures, there are many version out there.

Did Bally/Williams even release a genuine OEM decal replacement? A lot of the new decals I see being put on these cabinets always seem to have somewhat minor differences. Not just color differences either, but actual drawing differences.

It's as if each seller freehands a design and sells them instead of doing a 1 to 1 exact copy of the original cabinet art. I always thought Licensed decals meant you get an exact copy of the original art, but that doesn't seem to be the case?

#16 4 years ago

It's as if each seller freehands a design and sells them instead of doing a 1 to 1 exact copy of the original cabinet art. I always thought Licensed decals meant you get an exact copy of the original art, but that doesn't seem to be the case?

I bought licensed "Next Gen" Dr. Who head decals for my Dr. Who resto, and they completely re-did the art. The stars were different sizes and the Tardis designs were way more detailed and had completely different shading than stock decals. I was like WTF? and into the trash they went. I don't know what the f*ck the artists are thinking here. Replicate the stock design or let us know you took these liberties so we don't buy them thinking we're getting stock art.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

I bought licensed "Next Gen" Dr. Who head decals for my Dr. Who resto, and they completely re-did the art. The stars were different sizes and the Tardis designs were way more detailed and had completely different shading than stock decals. I was like WTF? and into the trash they went. I don't know what the f*ck the artists are thinking here. Replicate the stock design or let us know you took these liberties so we don't buy them thinking we're getting stock art.

Here are mine I bought. I like the colors on these, especially the orange transitions. But there are changes on them such as the outline of the sun being more pronounced and having an orangeish halo around it vs. official Williams art. These were made in 2002. Very odd why decal makers don't just replicate the original as it was intended.
DSC_2174 (resized).JPGDSC_2174 (resized).JPG

DSC_2164 (resized).JPGDSC_2164 (resized).JPG
#18 4 years ago

...Very odd why decal makers don't just replicate the original as it was intended.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Maybe they they think they're doing the end user a favor... they're not!

#19 4 years ago

I have a licensed set a purchased from PPS about 8 years ago and never used. If you can't find a quality set I would be willing to sell them.

#20 4 years ago

Bought mine from BAA back in 2005 for $233.65 shipped. I don't know who made them but there really nice and still look good today.

John

IJ new decals right (resized).jpgIJ new decals right (resized).jpgIJ repainted leg and bolts (resized).jpgIJ repainted leg and bolts (resized).jpgIJ with new left side decals (resized).jpgIJ with new left side decals (resized).jpg
#21 4 years ago

Mr Pinball Australia was the only Company who held a License with Lucas Arts
Not IL Pinball Nobody else.
Many have sold various versions none of which had a License to do so.

Problem is now Disney own the rights and Too expensive to License Too Many people involved.

Looks like Mirco thinks he can get away with it being in Germany But they called me when they were advised of him making Playfields etc etc for IJ

Some of this is just not cost effective to do

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, OH
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 44.95
Hardware
RavSpec
Hardware
$ 1,419.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 63.95
Wanted
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
25,000 (Firm)
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-ij-cabinet-decals-1?hl=davi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.