(Topic ID: 257089)

Williams Hurricane has no Speech or Bing when unit is powered on.

By cshelden

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2019-02-02 14_20_45-WPC ribbon cable to reseat - Paint (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

Williams Hurricane Pre DCS game. The unit has set for at least 12 years, turned it on and popped several tantalum caps. All sounds were still present but would get scratchy even with blown caps, speech and other sounds still present. I replaced all the caps on the board, turned it back on and now I don't get the "bong" when it boots up, nor are any of the speech sounds and attract sounds playing. During gameplay, you have the game sounds. But when I run the TESTS for Audio none of the spoken words play. None of the ROMS had covers on the windows I noticed. I have since placed black tape over them. I checked solder joints on the ribbon headers they all look good under a magnifying glass. I double-checked my work in replacing the caps to be sure that wasn't what created the issue. Any thoughts? Could it be one of the ROM's for the soundboard or ribbon cable?

#2 4 years ago

For a game to sit for 12 years that’s a long time.Reseat the game and sound ROMs also reseat all the ribbon cables and while your at reseat the connectors.I would take a look at the battery holder also for 12 years I bet there’s corrosion

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

For a game to sit for 12 years that’s a long time.Reseat the game and sound ROMs also reseat all the ribbon cables and while your at reseat the connectors.I would take a look at the battery holder also for 12 years I bet there’s corrosion

Bit of back ground.

I pulled the sound board to do the repairs thus reseating the connections. Did that multiple times when sound went out. No corrosion as no batteries when it arrived. I pulled the mpu and installed one of Franks battery boards from No Quarters. Now I didn’t wiggle the rom chips. Didn’t even occur to me. I’ll message owner. I usually do that. Since it was working then quiet it slipped me. Will try.

#4 4 years ago

Resetting chips resulted in no improvement.

#5 4 years ago

Does this help?

2019-02-02 14_20_45-WPC ribbon cable to reseat - Paint (resized).png2019-02-02 14_20_45-WPC ribbon cable to reseat - Paint (resized).png
#6 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Does this help?[quoted image]

Gave it a shot and no dice. I'm stumped. Maybe the ribbon cable could be bad?

#7 4 years ago

Could you post a picture of the sound board?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-hurricane-has-no-speech-or-bing-when-unit-is-powered-on- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.