(Topic ID: 182982)

Williams hot pop bumper coils

By novaguy

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Hey all.can Williams coils be stripped back like gottlieb to make them faster?

Ted

#2 7 years ago

As far as I know pretty much any coil can have some windings removed to make them "hotter".

#3 7 years ago

Ya I kinda thought so but wanted another opinion.thanks.

#4 7 years ago

Go a step at a time. Start with a full layer of wraps if you need a notable improvement. You may end up going further.

I ended up removing about 2.5 full layers of wraps to get my Slick Chick coils to a balanced state. This ended up with way less power than the hot pop bumper coils I got from PBR. I thought I was going to break something the PBR hot coils were so strong. I was very pleased with the results I got taking the wraps off the original coils for this game. Now to try it on my Outer Space where the pops are the only aspect to my game that aren't performing adequately.

#5 7 years ago

My opinion.
    1, Rebuild with new coil sleeve, plunger and yolks. Buff ring till it shines.
    2. High Tap
    3. 1 and 2 isn't good enough (rare), add a bridge rectifier.

#6 7 years ago

I re-built my Williams Klondike pop bumpers and set the machine to high tap,I wouldn't want them any faster, incredible dribbling at times.

#7 7 years ago

Can we assume this is a game manufactured before March 1972?

If so, I would second the steps suggested by Bonzo 71.

If it was made in March 1972 or later, you may just have a burned out leg on the bridge rectifier. I saw that once with a Williams Swinger as the pops and slings were lethargic when I knew they shouldn't be.

Lee

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-hot-pop-bumper-coils and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.