1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 1 year ago

my side advance relay is sticking after the ball drains and spits out ball 2. looks like the schematic shows it somewhere in the side advance unit? i checked the right no.5 rollover button as that's in there too to control the advance relay, but that has good gap and is open. i even tried opening the button switch MORE when the side advance relay is stuck on, and nothing.

when side advance relay is stuck on, it's also holding the bell chime on and the side advance step up coil on. i can force the side advance relay off with my finger and it stays off. shoot the second ball and once it drains and shoots out ball 3, the side advance relay is stuck on again...

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from vipertblck:

side advance relay is sticking

Check that the Side Advance Unit End-Of-Stroke switch is opening.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3 1 year ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Check that the Side Advance Unit End-Of-Stroke switch is opening.
[quoted image]

Yes sir, with the step up coil activated, it IS opening the yellow/grey-white switch

#4 1 year ago

The 2 things to check are:
On the end of stroke switch with the yellow & grey-white wires check for shorted wire connections and solder blobs shorting the switch out.
Check for proper insulation between the metal part of the switch activating arm and the metal switch blades because the unit frame has a power wire connected to it and would put a short on the circuit if the switch was uninsulated.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballdaveh:

The 2 things to check are:
On the end of stroke switch with the yellow & grey-white wires check for shorted wire connections and solder blobs shorting the switch out.
Check for proper insulation between the metal part of the switch activating arm and the metal switch blades because the unit frame has a power wire connected to it and would put a short on the circuit if the switch was uninsulated.

Thinking the game may have aftermarket wiring problems. I unsoldered the grey/white wire off the EOS switch and it still has the problem persisting. Also contacting the tilt pendulum, it energized the ball index relay, not the tilt relay…

Still trying to focus on the problem with the sticking side advance relay though. Noticing it happens when side advance unit is fully reset, or 3 clicks advanced is when it locks the relay. Also when locked, the hundred score reel(as well as 100 pt relay obviously) are energized as well. This happens on any player. Also none of the rollover switches 1-5, left or right, or the center one, are functional when the relay is stuck on. Flick the relay off with my finger and they operate/score

#6 1 year ago

On the side advance relay switch stack. Inspect the gray-w wire connection that it isn’t touching the w-r wire connection next to it. This short allows the relay to stay pulled in because it’s being powered by the yellow wire on the 2nd switch. When this happens the end of stroke normally closed switch is bypassed.

#7 1 year ago

Got it!!! One of the button switches had the “middle” leaf (strong one to prevent movement) pushed up making a connection between the 2, acting as of the switch was closed. Found this by doing continuity checks with wires un soldered and that particular switch had continuity on the opposite end.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-honey-side-advance-relay-sticking and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.