• Latest reply 1 year ago by rlbohon3
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 1 year ago

Hi, I’m trying to bring a Williams Honey back to life. One problem I know it has, has to do with the alternator unit / 5 cent relay. There was no alternator unit coil present; only the mounting bracket. It’s almost as if it were never present, and I’m not entirely sure it’s needed (since this game will be set to free play). The black wire junction that probably went to the coil was floating in the vicinity. I added a coil and connected the black wire junction to one lug of the coil. The other lug of the coil appears to connect to a jumper wire that should connect to a 5cent relay switch (that has a yellow wire on the other side of the switch). The strange thing is that a jumper wire is floating/disconnected in the vicinity but the other end is connected directly to the main yellow wire.

Here is a quick video to show this. It’s a lot easier to show than explain in words. Do you agree that a wire should go from the other side of the 5cent switch to the alternator coil?

#2 1 year ago

If a nickel got stuck in the 5 cent switch, the 5 cent relay will hold on and not be able to release.
As long as the relay stays pulled in, the alternator unit coil will pull in and stay pulled in because it’s end of stroke switch is useless to open the relay coil. I think your logic is sound and the wire shouldn’t be connected to the yellow power wires and should connect to the other side of the switch.

#3 1 year ago

Did you check the wiring colour on the schematic?

#4 1 year ago

Thanks for the comments. This seems pretty straight forward, but the existing jumper wire going to "nothing" (but coming from the Yellow wire), the absence of the alternator coil, and no evidence of another jumper wire that would have gone to the alternator coil is just peculiar.

The wire color on the schematic is black to one lug of the coil; the other lug is -J- (jumper, no color specified). The -J- wire then goes to one of the 5c switches then from the 5c switch to the yellow wire.

I think I will add the missing jumper wire from the 5c switch to the alternator coil and remove the other jumper wire going to nothing.

What I'm still not 100% sure I understand is, what function does the alternator do that will be observed by this game? Since it will be on free play and no 5c coins inserted, is all of this for not? I hate to leave it un-baked and disconnected, so trying to get it right even if not utilized.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#5 1 year ago

The alternator is used to count two nickels.

Used for “2 coins - 1 play”.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

The alternator is used to count two nickels.
Used for “2 coins - 1 play”.

Thank you. Makes sense now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-honey-alternator-unit-coil-wiring and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.