You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20160611_173333_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160519_103635_(resized).png
IMG_20160519_103628_(resized).png
#1 7 years ago

No Sound in my High Speed. Stopped working during game play. Before that it was missing some sounds but replacing op amp solved the problem. Currently no sounds in speakers, but logic seems to be working ok. If -12v is not connected I can hear very low sounds

Have already change U1, U2, U3, U4 and U5 and cabinet pot (new 10K soldered directly in mpu pins for testing purpose).

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from ze7:

No Sound in my High Speed. Stopped working during game play. Before that it was missing some sounds but replacing op amp solved the problem. Currently no sounds in speakers, but logic seems to be working ok. If -12v is not connected I can hear very low sounds

Why are you disconnecting the -12VDC? Leave it connected and check U9 on background sound board for -12VDC at pin 4, and +12VDC at pin 8. It can be off as much as +/-2 VDC because these are unregulated sources.

Quoted from ze7:

Have already change U1, U2, U3, U4 and U5 and cabinet pot (new 10K soldered directly in mpu pins for testing purpose).

Why did you change U1-U5? Did you find them defective, or are you just guessing? And what pins in the MPU did you solder the 10K pot in? I'm not following because the volume pot connects to the background sound board, not the MPU.

#3 7 years ago

Thank you wayout440

Have disconnected -12v because by some reason VR1 turns red hot when -12v is connected. Also, pot was connected on MPU J16 because I was testing without aux sound board connected (Leon test eprom). Again with -12v connected both op amps 1458 have -12 at pin 4 and +5v at pin 8 (not 12 has you mention). Sound completely muted and VR1 almost on fire. Data lines are Ok at DAC mc1458 but +ref is 0v????. Don't know how to test DAC output...

#4 7 years ago

Sorry I don't have enough time right now. The +5VDC is OK, that's what is being supplied according to the schematics. The DAC output is analog, best viewed with an oscilloscope. VR1 is hot, what VR1 are you speaking of? on the power supply board???

*note
C-11029 sound board uses a +5VDC supply to the LM1458, other BG sound boards in later games use +12VDC. This board is used in 3 Williams pinball machines: High Speed, Grand Lizard, and Road Kings

#5 7 years ago

What should be the voltage at -Ref and +Ref of DAC Mc1408?? I'm getting close to 0v on both (pin 14 and pin15 of U2)...Vcc is ok at 5v...

#6 7 years ago

Someone out here with a HS should be able to take those measurements for you. I no longer own a HS or I would.

#7 7 years ago

Thanks wayout440!!

IMG_20160519_103635_(resized).pngIMG_20160519_103635_(resized).pngIMG_20160519_103628_(resized).pngIMG_20160519_103628_(resized).png

#8 7 years ago

Anyone with a high speed or grand Lizard that could double check voltage at -Ref and +Ref of DAC Mc1408 (pin 14 and pin15 of U2)?

thanks

1 week later
#9 7 years ago

VR1 is getting hot when connected on bench using a ATX power supply!!!?? When using power from machine PS no heat in VR1...anyway I'll have to pass the bench test and move back all boards to the backbox...

1 week later
#10 7 years ago

Changed a few components and zr1 is holding now. logic is working also but the problem persists. Removed TDA2002 and connected audio signal to external amplifier and everything works OK so th problem is now confined to the TDA circuit. All components are Ok.

What could be the cause of no amplification?

#11 7 years ago

Ok...made a replica of the sound amplification circuit in my breadboard and the amp is working ok. Started moving components from my mpu to the breadboard until it stopped when used capacitor C5. It looks the cap was the culprit and now the amp is also working. In the meantime, back to an old issue. Missing some sound effects...

IMG_20160611_173333_(resized).jpgIMG_20160611_173333_(resized).jpg

#12 7 years ago

OK now! Something killed sound Eprom U22. The chip was blank with no code.

ZR1 getting hot was related to my ATX power supply. When bench testing with Leon (R.I.P.) test eprom it is required a jumper between 5v and ZR1...ONLY if you don't have 12v connected.

Everything working now.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from ze7:

When bench testing with Leon (R.I.P.) test eprom it is required a jumper between 5v and ZR1...ONLY if you don't have 12v connected.
Everything working now.

#14 7 years ago

Nice breadboard method for repair

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-high-speed-no-sound and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.