• 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by nplg
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

HS_Matrix (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blantz59.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Hello,
I'm new to Pinside and at a complete lost of what's causing my problem. My Williams "High Speed" has been recently having problems with the Left Upper and Lower switches on the hideout ramp. When I run a switch test it's not recognizing either switches as well has the shooter lane switch, and the engine rev when either flipper is activated. All other switches seem to be fine. All the coils are also firing as well as the left hideout coil when I run a coil test. I have checked all the fuses in the head of the machine and they all test good. I don't see any lose wires or anything else that might be the culprit.
I have tried to find anyone in the central Ohio area that does pinball repairs with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 week later
#3 3 years ago

Thank you for the response. I tested continuity on all the wires to the affected switches and they all test good.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from nplg:

I've seen the large plug from the playfield to the backbox cause problems with groups of switches. May be worth taking it apart, cleaning, and checking continuity from the playfield side back to the main board connector(s).

Thanks, I'll take a look tonight to see if that's the culprit. I've owned this machine for nearly 25 years with little to no trouble up until now. I appreciate the advice, I really hope that's the cause of my trouble because I've checked about everything else I can think of.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from nplg:

All of the switches you named are on the same "column" (#5, Green-Black wire, 1J8-5, Q43). At 35 years old it is certainly a connection, loose wire in a crimp, or cracked solder joint. Been there on a High Speed I'm restoring.
Once located, the fix is a quick one
[quoted image]

Thanks again for your help. I recently replaced the entire left flipper assembly before the trouble started. Do you think that could have anything to do with the trouble I'm now having? I'm getting ready to remove it, and reinstall it incase I have a cold solder joint or something. The left flipper is working great, but I'm wondering if maybe it's connected somehow. I'm also trying to find which large plug you mentioned in your earlier post. Does that plug attach to the CPU board?

Thanks again

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from nplg:

Definitely double check all of the wiring in the area where the work was done. The diagram calls out the wires for the switches in question.
BTW: The "large connector" is on one of the playfield cables. Large, multi-pin connector maybe 24+ pins.

Thanks again for your help. I'm hoping to go over everything you suggested this weekend. I really do appreciate your help because not knowing the cause is very frustrating.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from nplg:

Definitely double check all of the wiring in the area where the work was done. The diagram calls out the wires for the switches in question.
BTW: The "large connector" is on one of the playfield cables. Large, multi-pin connector maybe 24+ pins.

I re-wired the left flipper assembly and now I have a new issue. When I run switch test I'm getting message saying problem with 11 (Center Trough) and 12 (Right Trough) errors, and still having the original switch issue. I'm going to need to find someone that does repairs in central Ohio because I'm concerned about possibly doing more damage because my eyes aren't as good as they once were. Do you know of anyone in central Ohio that might be able to assist me with this?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blantz59.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-high-speed-left-hideout-problem?tu=blantz59 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.