(Topic ID: 298352)

Williams High-Speed (1986): Converting to 220V. Pls help!

By Tom3875

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Tom3875
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

HighSpeedNoFuse (resized).png
IMG_5403 (resized).jpg
image0 (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

Hi everyone,

Very happy to be on this forum.
I have a Williams Pinball from 1986 that I have restored over the last 3 years. it's working great.
For professional reasons, I may relocate to France (where I'm originally from) and would like to take my Pinball with me. Power there is 220V and 50Hz.

I have no idea how to convert the pinball. Would changing the internal transformer suffice? (and if so, what transformer would you suggest I need to purchase?), or would I need to change some other parts (due to the difference in frequency? e.g. the top beacon).

I would really welcome some guidance and help on this. Thank you to this forum

#Williams High Speed

IMG_5403 (resized).jpgIMG_5403 (resized).jpgimage0 (resized).jpegimage0 (resized).jpeg
#3 2 years ago

Thank you ForceFlow, greatly appreciated. But that's not the only thing to change, no?

How could I find the right transformer to buy? Looks like my High-Speed is a system 11 per the link you sent. Are all System 11 powered the same way and therefore i should look up for that to determine which power supply i should buy?

Thank you

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from Tom3875:

Thank you ForceFlow, greatly appreciated. But that's not the only thing to change, no?
How could I find the right transformer to buy? Looks like my High-Speed is a system 11 per the link you sent. Are all System 11 powered the same way and therefore i should look up for that to determine which power supply i should buy?
Thank you

You do not need to replace the transformer, power supply, or any other parts.

Either get an appropriately jumpered power selection plug, or re-jumper the one already in your game for 220v.

The transformers in most pinball machines have lugs for multiple incoming voltages. So all you have to do is replace or re-jumper the selection plug in this era of games.

#5 2 years ago

You'll also need a power cord that will fit your outlets.

#6 2 years ago

ForceFlow and YeOldPinPlayer: thank you very much. i didnt think it was that easy! will follow your advise when I arrive in Europe and will cross fingers it all goes well. THANK YOU

#7 2 years ago

One thing you should NOT do in European countries (220V) is apply power to the machine when the transformer primary selection is in the US configuration (110V). This will apply double the expected voltage and almost certainly exceed some voltage ratings for some of the components.

If you are unsure you can disconnect the transformer secondary outputs from the boards in the backbox and measure the transformer secondary output.

Alternatively you can post an image of your transformer primary selection jumper configuration and ask for confirmation.

#8 2 years ago

Thank you Dumbass. Wise comment.

I think disconnecting the transformer secondary output to measure voltage is a great idea (hopefully I can figure out what to disconnect - I'll have to look at it). Posting picture prior to repowering / turning on power is also a very good idea. Thank you!

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

You do not need to replace the transformer, power supply, or any other parts.

You need to change the line fuse and the mov, too. And it was already mentioned - the cord needs to be changed.

#10 2 years ago

Thank you Gutz. I’m not completely tracking. Are you talking about a line fuse within the pinball? Or ensuring the fuse on the circuit it’s plugged in is changed? If so, to what?

Also, could you let me know what the mov is and what should be done about it?

Thank you!

#11 2 years ago

If there is a line fuse it's about 8 amp. I say IF because the schematic doesn't show one. Since the mains where you're going are higher voltage they carry less current so you would want to change to a fuse about half the current rating.
But again, that's only the mains. All the voltages inside the game will be handled by the transformer and the jumper that you change.

The MOV will be inside the power box. See vid1900 's guide for that - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-line-cords-plugs-wall-sockets-vids-guide#post-1945121

HighSpeedNoFuse (resized).pngHighSpeedNoFuse (resized).png
#12 2 years ago

Thanks YeOldPinPlayer. Got it. very helpful

I looked at the link at it answers a lot of questions. I think I have to read it again to better understand what needs to be done with the MOV. Probably need to read again more carefully. Thank you!

#13 2 years ago

All, again, thank you for your support. Just to make sure I have it right, is this the MOV I should buy and replace when I change to 220V?:

Part NumberV275LA40BP
Metal Oxide Varistor (MOV), 275V, 20mmMax Continuous Voltage = 275VAC / 369VDC
Surge Energy: 140 Joule.
Diameter: 20mm
Intended for 240VAC mains, not for use in North America.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/products.asp?cat=76

Thank you!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-high-speed-1986-converting-to-220v-pls-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.