Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200712_084636 (resized).jpg
20200712_084715 (resized).jpg
CD72C20C-1078-4E58-B92C-65F673641925 (resized).jpeg
9B05D5C3-A023-476E-9E1D-FF8B3BD693BC (resized).jpeg
Williams Heat Wave.pdf (PDF preview)
#1 3 years ago

I picked up a heatwave recently not only do i need an copy of the schematic if someone can email me one i can print off but also i noticed when i turn on the game only the left flipper works. Everything lights up but their is buzzing in the back of the head and the temp guage keeps blinking and buzzing. I feel like somehing is deffinatly seized up or stuck but i have tried rubbing alcohol & qtips to try to clean all moving pieces with no results. Any help would be appriciated. I have looked at forums and read up info still stuck.

#2 3 years ago

First put the game into a known state.

With the power OFF (and maybe even unplugged), reset the relay bank by manually plunging the coil. Then trip the TILT, GAME and GAME OVER relays.

Now when you turn it on and press the left flipper, only the LOCK relay should energize.

If you need photos on how to do these steps let me know.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinaddict91:

is buzzing in the back of the head

Track down that buzzing. Here is the schematic.

Williams Heat Wave.pdfWilliams Heat Wave.pdf
#4 3 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Track down that buzzing. Here is the schematic.
[quoted image]

Would u be able to email me a pdf of it so i can print it to regular size if i tried to print this it would come out to small. Thank u.

#5 3 years ago

Check messages

#6 3 years ago

So the bottom of the playfield lights up and the targets move back and forth when i press the fronr button but that is all that happens. The backbox doesnt light up and the score doesnt change when the front button is pressed either (i manually changed all the #s). Any suggestions of what it might be.

#7 3 years ago

Are there credits on the machine or is it configured for free play?

Pressing the start button should energize the replay relay, and then the coin relay. Coin relay is on the back left of the bottom board. See if it energizes.

#8 3 years ago

The playfield and backbox lights have separate fuses — check the fuse.

Also, double check the Jones plugs in the backbox match wire colours. They have the same number of pins and can be installed swapped.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

The playfield and backbox lights have separate fuses — check the fuse.
Also, double check the Jones plugs in the backbox match wire colours. They have the same number of pins and can be installed swapped.

I did make sure the jones plugs were installed correctly but does it matter if the plugs are installed backwards, and not sure if the game is set to free play but it does show 19 credits on it. I will post pictures when i get a chance today and hopefully go from their

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinaddict91:

I did make sure the jones plugs were installed correctly but does it matter if the plugs are installed backwards,

Not quite sure what that means; they can only be inserted one way.

#11 3 years ago

Wow... This is the third Heat Wave machine down in a week. I unplugged mine and hung garlic and a crucifix on it
To keep the bad juju away. Jeez!!9B05D5C3-A023-476E-9E1D-FF8B3BD693BC (resized).jpeg9B05D5C3-A023-476E-9E1D-FF8B3BD693BC (resized).jpeg

CD72C20C-1078-4E58-B92C-65F673641925 (resized).jpegCD72C20C-1078-4E58-B92C-65F673641925 (resized).jpeg
#12 3 years ago

Looks like your sun face target is in good shape. Could you get a straight on photo of it?

#13 3 years ago

Can someone get on video somehow thats familiar with working on heat waves or that has one and can help me fix this trumpesphere of problems

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinaddict91:

their is buzzing in the back of the head

First thing is to fix anything that's constantly activated because otherwise you can burn up coils or worse. Exactly what is it that's buzzing?

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

First thing is to fix anything that's constantly activated because otherwise you can burn up coils or worse. Exactly what is it that's buzzing?

To start off the playfield works sort of the targets move back and forth the drop target when pressed goes down then pops back up and all the lights work on the playfield but NOTHING works in the head, no scores change on the score wheel,no lights work in the backbox its pretty much like the head isnt even attached to the bottom of the machine. Ive checked the jones plugs they are all put in correct im very confused.

#16 3 years ago

I am asking for help to get my williams heatwave up and running 2 problems i have noticed are pictured below

2nd picture- i have loud Humming in the first 0 to 9 score wheel and the coil is getting VERY HOT. All the other score wheels reset besides this one apon start up so my question is from top to botton which contacts on the switch stack should be open and which should be closed maybe that would stop the problem with the humming and the Heating of the coil?

1st picture- is of the unit that moves the red ribbon up and down the only way i can advance it past FRIDGID (the bottom) is if when the game is off i manually move it back and forth with the stepper than it can go all the way to the top but when i also try to manually reset it back to the begining it does NOT move any help or tips would be appriciated! Also noticed that the game does not score unless the ribbon is at the start then the game becomes energized enough to score points but it will not go past fridgid once the game is being played only when it is off and i manually acuate the coil back and forth.

3rd problem- it does not show up ball 1 2 3 4 5 on the backglass do the earlier games not do that since they have the rod that kicks the ball up onto the playfield?.

Anyone that owns a heatwave or could get on video would be great as well thank you.

20200712_084636 (resized).jpg20200712_084636 (resized).jpg20200712_084715 (resized).jpg20200712_084715 (resized).jpg
#17 3 years ago

First priority is to keep your 0 to 9 score solenoid from burning out. So don't keep the game on for more than a minute at a time.
What's the 1 Point relay doing when this happens?
Is one of your playfield switches stuck closed?

If you'd like to try a phone call, send me your cellphone number in a private message and I'll make a first reply with a text message.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-heat-wave-start-up-problems- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.