• Latest reply 4 years ago by HowardR
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20160403_135229_112_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

This is my first EM game/repair! I bought it in non working condition and so far I have cleaned up the back box units and score reels and fixed a few small issues with coils locking on. I can now start a game and all playfield features are working I do have the schematics but I can't find the last fault of no 'game over'.

The remaining problem is that the game never ends! Once powered up, the swinging targets start moving and the flippers are always active. The 'game over' lamp never lites and the match feature doesnt lite. The trough switches were all bent open when I got the game. If I adjust them to close when all 5 balls have drained, the score motor runs continuously. If I leave 5th switch open, the motor stops and I can reset a new game. The actuator for the out hole switch is also missing but the drop target does reset after each ball drained.

To summarize: power on - targets and flippers work I can start and play 5 balls. When they all drain (trough switches bent open) the targets and flippers still work and no 'game over' / 'match' behavior. I can hit the replay and play five more balls, over and over

#2 8 years ago

You'll need to look at the circuit on the schematic that sends power to the game over relay. I think the switches that send power to the game over relay coil are the game relay switch, the 4th ball trough switch and the 5th ball trough switch. Clean and adjust the contacts on the game relay and make sure all the trough switches are clean.

I would first manually push in the game over relay just to see if you can get the machine to go into game over mode.

Also, make sure the 3-5 ball adjustment is plugged into the 5 ball game connector.

#3 8 years ago

I do have the jumper set to 5 ball. I have tried tripping the game over relay by finger and its the same condition as all five balls draining=score motor runs endlessly. Iirc, i think the game over relay does activate when the balls all drain. I will clean/adjust the switches on that relay.Thanks!

#4 8 years ago

Small progress in understanding - the game over relay activates after the fifth ball hits the the out hole switch while ball 2 and 4 switches are closed. (I will need to order a new actuator for the out hole switch.)

When the game over relay activates the score motor just runs and no game over/match light. I cleaned and adjust the switches on the game over relay and no change.

#5 8 years ago

Aha! After the game over relay activates, the tilt relay needs to activate - THEN the game over lights, it matches, and the swinging targets stop moving.

I can do this with my fingers but I'd rather the game do it by itself

#6 8 years ago

If the tilt relay needs to activate when the game is over, then you'll need to see what circuit activates the tilt relay coil. Check the contact switches on the following:

Lock Relay
Tilt Relay
Score Motor Switches 1C and 3B

You can confirm these switches on your schematic. Just find the tilt relay coil on your schematic and you can see what switches control power to that coil. I'm working from a Williams Soccer schematic, but the switches should be similar...

#7 8 years ago

I fixed it! I inspected/cleaned the score motor switches that go to the tilt relay but no change. It was important I checked them though because the missing out hole actuator was under the score motor!

I couldn't get the tilt relay to energize after draining. I restarted the game, manually closed the slam switch - no tilt. Closed the ball roll - no tilt. Closed the Bob - no tilt. Hmmm. Looked at the tilt coil and one wire was broken! No wonder it never energized. Reattached and the game now ends!

Fred - thanks for the advice you were heading on the right path! I didn't see your last post until this post. I think we tied and the tie goes to the runner

#8 8 years ago

Finally some relief from this heatwave!

IMG_20160403_135229_112_(resized).jpgIMG_20160403_135229_112_(resized).jpg

#9 8 years ago

The simplest problems are always the hardest to find... Glad to hear the machine is working now... Heat Wave is one of the best single player EMs. And the artwork is great! Enjoy!

3 years later
#10 4 years ago

This is the same problem i am having with my 1965 willaims teachers pet. At first to even get the game to start ans the flippers to work i had to bend back/paperclip the lock relay but he tilt always stays on on the backglass (diffrent problem) but most importantly the game never ends. Is the balls played unit dirty and needs to be cleaned or are the same problems going on that the other people are having. Whats my next step to solving this problem my teachers pet is going on and on so much hes starting to be a real suckup! Haha help please

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-heat-wave-game-over-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.