Sorry for the delay - I was away for a bit, and then didn't have a chance to work on Heat Wave. I've moved it to my active work area, so I have full access to working on it almost daily now. Time to get this EM back up and running!
Changes/Progress since I last posted:
- I found 2 problems that I believe I corrected: (1) One of the switches that registers balls in the trough before a game is started was misaligned. Fixed that. (2) The Lock relay had switch/wire connection points slightly touching, or close enough to arc. I separated them, and the game stopped having the "Tilt" issue mentioned above.
- Now when I turn on the machine (Left Flipper for GI) and press the Start/Reset button, the Score resets, targets reset, playfield receives power (flippers, etc) and the 5 balls in the trough "load" into the pre-shooting area. I can load a ball and begin playing a game. After 5 balls are played, the game ends and the Game Over and Match lights come on as they should. All great progress.
Problems: Only a few playfield targets appear to be scoring:
Pop Bumpers: The top center bumper scores 10/100 points. All bumpers "kick" but only that one registers points.
Targets: The center drop target scores points and resets on each ball as it should. The "swinging" targets (see more on those below) score.
Switches: None of the switches behind the rubbers are scoring points, including those behind the kickers. Both kickers function, kicking the ball, but neither score points. The outlane rollover switches score points. The playfield rollover switches score points.
- The "Thermometer" in the backbox is locked and does not function. I can hear it trying to advance when targets are hit, but it is fused/stuck. I need to take it apart and check it out. Because of this, none of the "advance" features work when targets are hit.
- The swinging/moving targets on either side of the playfield are not moving. They seem to be trying to move (I can hear the motor that drives them weakly attempting to function. They do not seem to be gunked up or stuck, as I can manually rotate the gears and they move somewhat. I will attempt to clean these soon.
- Several playfield bulbs appear dim. I cleaned the sockets and replaced them, still dim. Going to check that out a bit more to see why and make sure sufficient power is reaching the sockets.
Thoughts on the issues and next steps? Thanks
[Note: For those unfamiliar with this type of game (I have never owned one like this myself), it functions on multiple balls, rather than one ball with a counter. There is a trough in the cabinet, down below the playfield area, where the balls rest when a game is over or off. When a game is started, a coil associated with the trough pulls, opening a 'gate' and allowing the balls (in this case 5 of them) to roll further down the trough into a loading area. The Player then pushes an exterior plunger (located below the normal shooter/plunger) inwards, which lifts an arm in the cabinet and pushes a ball up into the shooting lane. That's the best description I can provide at the moment. I'm sure most of you familiar with EMs of this style have seen this before, but this is my first.]