(Topic ID: 289009)

Williams Gulfstream skips a ball midgame

By davidsprague

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Having a weird problem with my Gulfstream. Frequently midball it will skip a ball. Ball 2 will switch to ball one and ball one will suddenly go to end game. So it would seem ball count unit is suddenly hiccuping? Ideas appreciated!

#2 3 years ago

I'd first check the mechanics of your ball count unit .. does it step up and down properly or is the unit sluggish? You can check these manually. Also, following the step up/down movement, are all of the fingers lined up over the brass contacts correctly? Another possibility: I've had issues with my Gulfstream step ups with missing screws on the coil stops, messing up the movement of the coil plungers and hence weird issues. Speaking of plungers, those should be clean and soot free, along with the nylon sleeves that those plungers ride in. Let us know if those check out.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

I'd first check the mechanics of your ball count unit

Yep, likely needs some cleaning. Check this: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#steps

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from davidsprague:

Having a weird problem with my Gulfstream. Frequently midball it will skip a ball. Ball 2 will switch to ball one and ball one will suddenly go to end game. So it would seem ball count unit is suddenly hiccuping? Ideas appreciated!

Any progress?

#5 3 years ago

Check that a make/break switch on the outhole relay is gapped properly. That is what makes the ball reset relay energize. Check the outhole switch itself to make sure it isn’t closing due to vibration.

In other words, it may be falsely detecting a ball drain.

#6 3 years ago

Completely went through ball count unit. Changed out coil sleeves, one was metal, with new nylon. Neither were particularly dirty since I had gone through them several years ago. Changed out springs. Cleaned and lubricated contacts with teflon grease. Thought I had made progress as no issues for many games, but problem came back. Now thinking that outhole relay suggestions by dr_nybble will be a good thing to check. Very mysterious but I think I'm getting closer to fix.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from davidsprague:

Completely went through ball count unit. Changed out coil sleeves, one was metal, with new nylon. Neither were particularly dirty since I had gone through them several years ago. Changed out springs. Cleaned and lubricated contacts with teflon grease. Thought I had made progress as no issues for many games, but problem came back. Now thinking that outhole relay suggestions by dr_nybble will be a good thing to check. Very mysterious but I think I'm getting closer to fix.

Not mysterious if you check the circuit path as suggested, you'll find your issue there! Have faith.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

Not mysterious if you check the circuit path as suggested, you'll find your issue there! Have faith.

That seems to have been the problem with random ball count dropping. Switch contacts were super close. Problem solved, thanks for the help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pin Art

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Salem, OR

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-gulfstream-skips-a-ball-midgame?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.