• 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Geofflove
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1677 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flb_gulfstream.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I just took delivery of a New Old Stock (NOS) backglass for my 1973 Williams Gulfstream machine. It's not perfect but is sure looks nice. There is one little area in an unlighted section in the upper left that has lost the ink but the rest of the glass looks great (see photo). I was aware of the imperfection before I bought the glass. I might try to put something behind the glass that is close to the color but I might leave well-enough alone.

My question is this: Should I coat the backglass with Krylon Triple Glaze to help preserve it of just leave it alone? I changed out all of my bulbs to the lower wattage version (except for the three random-flashing bulbs) when I was bringing this machine back to life so I am wondering if I even need to be worried about sealing this "new" backglass. The original glass had flaking along a line of bulbs that illuminated the main woman in the beach scene. There were some other areas but not as obvious as that section. I am assuming the damage was due to the heat of the light bulbs.

As always, thanks in advance.

IMG_1677 (resized).jpgIMG_1677 (resized).jpg
#4 2 years ago

Every bulb in my machine is a #47 except for those three flashers. I don't like the looks of LED bulbs so I think I will stick to what I have.

Thanks.

#10 2 years ago

Thanks to everyone.

My aversion to LEDs is probably based on old technology so maybe this old dog needs to learn some new tricks and have an open mind. My experience with home lighting and nightlight LEDs is that LED bulbs not only emitted a color I didn't like but the output seemed very directional and didn't disperse like incandescent bulbs. If these newer SMD warm white bulbs have the color and the dispersion of the old incandescent bulbs, there really is no reason to count them out.

There is the camp in the pinball world that thinks it would be a shame to install LEDs in an old electromechanical machine ... I have to respect that viewpoint, too.

Again, I appreciate everyone's input on this. Thank you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pin Art

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Salem, OR

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flb_gulfstream.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-gulfstream-nos-backglass?tu=flb_gulfstream and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.