Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by jeffc
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Previous owner said it was wired for free play and it was working fine, mostly. Sometimes I had to reach in the door and jiggle the coin wires to wake it up. The grandkids came over, now the left flipper is dead. When I press the left flipper to wake it up, it goes directly to Tilt. I have to jiggle the coin wires every time to get it to run, but the left flipper is always dead. I did notice that the kids liked to keep the flippers pressed all the time, rather than just when the balls were coming down. I checked the wiring and it's all connected still, where should I start?

#2 7 years ago

Make sure it still moves freely. Check voltage at the lugs of the left flipper coil vs the right. Compare resistance of each coil. File the flipper button and EOS contacts.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Make sure it still moves freely. Check voltage at the lugs of the left flipper coil vs the right. Compare resistance of each coil. File the flipper button and EOS contacts.

You have to check the coil resistance of each winding with the EOS open or you'll get a bad reading.

#4 7 years ago

Examine both sets of contacts on that left flipper switch. With power OFF, file them just a bit. Don't go overboard. Then adjust so that both make with the button pressed in.

Other possibilities are EOS switch on the flipper coil and failed winding as mentioned above. There's nothing else to really go wrong in the circuit.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#5 7 years ago

Ok, good ideas, as soon as I get my Fluke back from the farm, I'll check the resistance. Any idea what it should be? Or just the same between left and right? Also, are the coils 120v or something less?

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Skuhler:

Ok, good ideas, as soon as I get my Fluke back from the farm, I'll check the resistance. Any idea what it should be? Or just the same between left and right? Also, are the coils 120v or something less?

Just compare the between left and right, with the eos held open. Flipper coils probably run on 25-30v AC for a game of that era. Anything over 20 should be fine.

#7 7 years ago

You're checking for resistance of the coil, not the voltage. The resistance of the power side (the thicker wire) should be a bit above 2 ohms. The hold side will be a lot higher.

The coils run on 25v AC on the game. There are a few coils in a game that will use line voltage, but flipper coils are not one of them.

#8 7 years ago

Had something similar with my bad cats. End up being end of stroke switch never opened , causing coil.to overheat and fry. Also had wrong fuse in machine causing coil to overheat because fuse was to big and did not blow in time. 150 bucks later , two new coils and masc parts, better than ever. Meow

#9 7 years ago

Ok, thanks for all the input. Got the meter and checked the voltage, good voltage to the wires but not to the connection! Turns out the soldering job was bad. Replaced it with a connector and it's good to go. NOW, to play, I have to trip a wheel inside the door like a coin would. When I press the left flipper to 'wake up' the game, it immediately goes to Tilt. The previous owner said he wired it for free play, but he also did the soldering...... Any ideas?

#10 7 years ago

One of the tilt switches is closed.
Check them all out.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#11 7 years ago

I hate to be such a newbie, but it looks like the ball for the ball tilt is removed and the plumb bob is not touching. Is there another place to check?

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Skuhler:

I hate to be such a newbie, but it looks like the ball for the ball tilt is removed and the plumb bob is not touching. Is there another place to check?

There's often a few slam switches on the door and on the bottom of the playfield

#13 7 years ago

Great, found it! Loose wire. Reconnected and everything works like it should. Thanks for all the help!

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from Skuhler:

I hate to be such a newbie, but ... Great, found it! Loose wire. Reconnected and everything works like it should. Thanks for all the help!

Newbie no more! Next time you see that problem you will know what to do. And you now have more confidence.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pin Art

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Salem, OR

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-gulfstream-left-flipper-dead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.