Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

13528438_10153556971907791_8837717204077953741_o_(resized).jpg
Restored_1_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
Play_field_restore_2_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

I'm new to this forum, and have read a lot of great posts that I found helpful...I thought I'd see if someone could give me an assist with my Williams Gulfstream. I've gotten a number of errors sorted out on this machine, one by reading a post here, but there is one remaining I can't seem to find. I am at a disadvantage since I have no paperwork on this machine. The center target is not scoring when hit. I've checked things and discovered the following: When the center target is hit, it does activate the center target relay. The relay stays energized until the next time the score motor runs by hitting something else, say the 500 point roll over, and then scores the center target points. It seems when the center target relay activates, it should start the score motor, but it does not. I could be wrong though...any ideas? I'm almost done with the playfield as well, just a few parts left to clean up...attached a pic for your review.

Thanks for any assistance...

Play_field_restore_2_(resized).jpgPlay_field_restore_2_(resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago

I would say you are correct. There is a switch on that relay that should start the score motor.

You can take a small flat head screwdriver and short across each pair of blade switches on the relay. If you find the pair that starts the score motor, you found your dirty or misadjusted switch. If not, you may have a broken wire somewhere else.

#3 8 years ago

Nice looking playfield. You may want a to keep an eye on these 4 post (blue dots). They take an extreme beating and will become loose in no time. Also, great small lighting mod. Put green 44 bulbs in the pop bumpers, this really makes them "Pop".

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#4 8 years ago

Very nice Playfield.

#5 8 years ago

Thanks for the tips guys...I have tried to cross pairs of connectors on that relay, but none that I could find that start the score motor. I thought too, it might be a problem in the wire that runs to the score motor...looks like I'll have to try to find a schematic for this machine.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from ckev1:

t seems when the center target relay activates, it should start the score motor, but it does not.

Hard to help without a schematic, but yes, anything that scores multiple points requires the score motor to achieve this. EG 5000 points requires the 1000 RE to fire 5 times.

Fortunately, the wire colour will be the same for this relay to start the Scr motor as it is for all relays that start the Scr motor. Looking at other Williams schematics, I’m willing to bet the wire colours for the SW to check is Orange/ Green and Yellow. Check this SW on the Center target RE.
If there is not an Orange/green wire. Find the service Jack and see what colour the pluggable wire is, that will be the colour of the wire on the center relay to start the Scr Motor.

Remember I’m working without a schematic here.

Next time you order parts, get a schematic for this machine. Make sure it is a "full page" schematic.

#7 8 years ago

Chrisbee, thanks so much for this feedback, yes, I've narrowed this to the orange wire I believe...I will look closer tonight though at this. I just ordered a schematic from Steve Young this morning...I can usually sort them out without paperwork, but looks like it will be very helpful in this case. This forum is great, lot's of great feedback and knowledge!

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from ckev1:

I've narrowed this to the orange wire I believe.

I would except it to be an Orange/Green Wire (Orange main colour and Green trace colour).

#9 8 years ago

I've ordered a schematic for this machine, should be here today...if I get stuck after that arrives, I'll add to this post...maybe it will help someone else as well. Thanks for all the assistance...more to come.

#10 8 years ago

Problem Solved - I got the schematic, and it confirmed the line I thought (orange) was the line that starts the score motor. I also noticed in the schematic, this same circuit is shared by a number of relays...so instead if unspooling the harness to find the problem in that line, I ran a jumper to a neighboring relay on that same circuit to the score motor, because I knew that connection was working. The machine is working nicely now, and that saved countless hours trying to hunt down the problem in that line. This is a fast machine, we've decided to keep this one in our arcade. The play field turned out nice, pops are rebuilt, sounds great...pretty challenging.

Restored_1_(resized).jpgRestored_1_(resized).jpg

#11 8 years ago

If you ever get to do a scan of the schematic, I would love a copy.

2 weeks later
#12 8 years ago

I second Chrisbee's request. Will send "Thank You" cookies.

3 months later
#13 7 years ago

Hi guys!
I'm almost done with my reproduction backglass of Gulfstream but I'm missing one part. I wonder if any of you could take a hi-res, straight angle, no flash, picture of the part with the man in the deck chair.

13528438_10153556971907791_8837717204077953741_o_(resized).jpg13528438_10153556971907791_8837717204077953741_o_(resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pin Art

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Salem, OR

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-gulfstream-center-target-issue?hl=zlorya and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.