By entomophile

1 month ago

Stats

• 8 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 weeks ago by dr_nybble
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

gulfstream (resized).jpg
20170916_200854 (resized).jpg

#1 32 days ago

When I score over 100,000 points on my 1973 Williams Gulfstream, the 100,000 point light does not come on.

The light comes on if I manually move the 100,000 point relay.
I have good continuity between the 10k point score wheel and the 100K relay.
The M-30-1300 100K coil measures 25.4 ohms. A coil chart listed it at 26 ohms.
The 10K score wheel mechanism seems fine, lifts the contacts at 9.
With the game on and >100K points, I have good continuity between EOS switch, 9th position switch, and 100K coil power but I am not measuring any voltage at the coil.

I cleaned all of the switches and contacts on the 10K score wheel and 100K point relay.
Manually activating the 10K score wheel switches does nothing.

Based on the manual (p 21) it looks like the reset relay ties into the 100K circuit so I cleaned those contacts. No help.

I have attached the relevant area of the schematic.
Here is the manual http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/1094/Williams_1973_Gulfstream_Instruction_Manual.pdf

Anyone have any ideas? What's my next step? I'm tagging @pin-it B/C you helped with my 100K problem on another machine. TIA, Greg.

20170916_200854 (resized).jpg

#2 31 days ago

Try a jumper wire and see if the 100,000 relay will energize. If so work the jumper backwards one switch at a time to find the problem.

Have you checked the make/break switch on the reset relay?

#3 31 days ago

I dont have a copy, but I think you're looking at the wrong part of the schematic. Take a look at the lite portion and follow the path.

#4 31 days ago

The light goes on when the 100,000 relay energizes....

#5 31 days ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

Try a jumper wire and see if the 100,000 relay will energize. If so work the jumper backwards one switch at a time to find the problem.
Have you checked the make/break switch on the reset relay?

I jumped the coil to ground and it does not energize. There is no voltage when I measure between ground and the BLU-Y-W wire on the 100K coil. I cleaned the make/break switch. It is closed with the game on. Still closed when I score over 100k.

#6 30 days ago

First we want to prove that this coil will energize.

Jumper from black on a good coil like Eject to the BLU-Y-W side of the 100,000 coil.

Add a jumper to the G-Y side of the 100,000 coil and briefly touch the other end of the jumper to common (yellow I assume).

The coil should energize and stay energized through the self-hold switch.

gulfstream (resized).jpg

#7 29 days ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

First we want to prove that this coil will energize.
Jumper from black on a good coil like Eject to the BLU-Y-W side of the 100,000 coil.
Add a jumper to the G-Y side of the 100,000 coil and briefly touch the other end of the jumper to common (yellow I assume).
The coil should energize and stay energized through the self-hold switch.

OK. Thanks so much for the help. Before I saw this, I studied the schematic and figured out the chain of events. Ran some continuity tests on the ground side while manually working the 10K score wheel and confirmed that the entire ground side of the 100K coil was working. Then I started following wires on the power side, cleaned some contacts, and the 100K light just started working again. So, I don't know exactly what the problem was but at least it is working now. What might have happened is the wiring harness hangs down over the game over and game reset relays. I think the harness might have been pushing on some of the switches and preventing them from working. I've got it tied up now. Of course my first game after the repair, I drained the last ball at 97,000 Thanks again for the help.

#8 29 days ago

Excellent! Thanks for introducing me to the existence of the 100,000 relay!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 2.50
Electronics
Rock Custom Pinball
£ 60.00
Playfield - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 40.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 16.00
Tools
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 208.87
$ 128.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet Parts
Flashinstinct
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 5,499.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Mafia
$ 60.00

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.