(Topic ID: 291077)

Williams Grand Prix -- will not activate player 4??

By Carmoney

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Carmoney
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Coin Unit WMS (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

So my Grand Prix EM works great overall. Previous owner installed a jumper in the backbox for free play. Here's the problem: When you push the credit button, it works perfectly fine for players 1, 2, and 3, but will not activate player 4.

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks,
Mike

#2 3 years ago

Player stepper Unit not advancing to player 4.
Possible limit switch mis adjustment.
Spring too tight
Sticky.
Spider unit on stepper needs adjustment

#3 3 years ago

phil-lee has the right idea but the unit with the problem is the Coin unit. The wiper side looks like this:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#4 3 years ago

I’ll bet it’s that limit switch. It’s supposed to open at the fourth position I’ll bet it’s bent slightly and opening early.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

I’ll bet it’s that limit switch. It’s supposed to open at the fourth position I’ll bet it’s bent slightly and opening early.

Where exactly would I find the limit switch you mention?

#6 3 years ago

If you look in the bottom of the cabinet there is a stepper called the coin unit.... on the one side will be the spider on the other side with the coils you’ll see a switch that opens when the gear turns around it should only open in the fourth position.

#7 3 years ago

Here is a Williams coin unit in reset position. In this position, you’ve pressed the credit button once. The 1 player lite on the back glass is lighted. The switch with the arrow is closed.
Coin Unit WMS (resized).jpgCoin Unit WMS (resized).jpg
When you press once again the credit button, the coin unit advances one step. The 1 player lite on the back glass goes off, 2 players goes on. The switch is closed.
Third time you press the credit button, the coin unit advances one more step. The 2 players lite on the back glass goes off, 3 players lite goes on. The switch is still closed.
Fourth time you press the credit button, the coin unit advances one last step. The 3 players lite on the back glass goes off, 4 players lite goes on. The switch with the arrow now opens.
In your case, the switch probably opens when you’ve pressed de credit button 3 times. Because of this, you cannot add a 4th player.

Adjusting this contact should solve your problem…

#8 3 years ago

I believe Ballycrazy has solved my problem! Thank you Ballycrazy (and everyone else who offered assistance).

I happened to find this video on Youtube:

This provides a video version of the photo Ballycrazy provided, starting around 56:00 on the vid.

I am a different locale this weekend, but when I'm back up there on Sunday, I will attempt the fix and report back.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 12.00
1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lincoln Park, NJ
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-grand-prix-will-not-activate-player-4?hl=phil-lee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.