You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

Hello all, I have a 1976 Williams Grand Prix pinball that I have pretty much got working. The problem I am having is if I hit the start button everything seems to reset right now. The problem is once the reset is complete and the ball kicks over to shooter lane the motor just keeps running. Everything on the playfield works and you could play the game but the motor keeps running. If i don't put the ball in the game and hit the play button the game will reset and the motor will quit running. But if I put the ball in after that the motor starts running and will not stop until I turn the machine off. When the motor is turning the 5000 for both bonus units left and right are going on and off. The drop targets stay up but its like they are trying to reset. I checked the switches on the drop targets to make sure they are closed when targets are up. I also cleaned them. Anyone know what the problem could be? Thanks

#2 5 years ago

Which one of these Relays or Switches is stuck on?

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png
#3 5 years ago

The outhole relay is staying energized after the ball is kicked over to the shooter lane. Would that be a switch on the outhole relay or could it be other switches that activate the outhole relay? Thanks for your help

#4 5 years ago

If the Outhole relay stays energized when you activate it with your finger, and the motor runs endlessly check this switch on the motor.

#5 5 years ago

If i activate the out hole relay with game on but a game not started the out hole relay makes the motor turn and then the relay lets go and motor stops. If i start a game with the ball not in it and then manually activate the out hole relay it runs endlessly. The switch on the motor looks good and I cleaned it. Wires look good. Anything else? Thanks

#6 5 years ago

It’s likely one of the switches circled in the lower part of the schematic. Each of those when closed energizes the score motor, thus any of them stuck closed will result in your symptom. You need to go find each switch and ensure it’s not closed. You can stick paper between them if your worried your not sure if it’s open or closed. If it’s of help, some switches are on the playfield others will be in a relay stack in the bottom. I am going to bet it’s the reset relay based upon your description. It’s also the one switch in that list that’s likely to be gapped quite tightly and could easily have an issue.

#7 5 years ago

Thanks for the reply rufessor, the thing is i know the outhole relay is staying energizing after the ball is kicked over to shooter lane. That is what is making the motor keep running. I have to find out what is making the outhole relay stay energized. I can manually pull the outhole relay back and the motor stops running. What is suppose to kick the outhole relay off?

#8 5 years ago

Ahhh... I did not understand that- The outhole relay is pulled in by the outhole switch, the left and right bonus relays and zero switch on left and right bonus units.

The manual for this game is freely available on IPDB as well as schematic. My above information is basically a direct quote from the manual. You should download and read. The manual for this game is exceedingly good and easy to understand.

The manual will tell you that the switch of the left and right bonus relays that activates the outhole is the furthest from the coil and is a NC switch.

I am still not sure I understand what’s going wrong exactly but you can use this info to look a bit... did not mean to hijack the help you were getting (it is very good help, listen to HowardR the dude knows his games) and I would look carefully at the switch stacks he circled in red as I think he was correct to have you inspect those based upon your initial description. I am not sure based upon your recent description, but either way, the components identified are a small list to inspect and you should find the problem in them unless we are simply not understanding the issue.

Download the manual and look at the description for the outhole and bonus relays....

#9 5 years ago

Thanks the manual is more descriptive than most. I will see what I can figure out. I will take any opinions out there though. Thanks all

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballman3:

I can manually pull the outhole relay back and the motor stops running. What is suppose to kick the outhole relay off?

When you pull the Outhole relay back does it release or does it keep pulling?

#11 5 years ago

When i pull back on the outhole relay it kinda keeps pulling but if i keep pulling it will release.

#12 5 years ago

Then I have to suspect the motor switch I identified in my post #4 is stuck closed.

#13 5 years ago

Ok i will check that switch real good again. It will probably be Monday because I will be out of town until then. Thanks

#14 5 years ago

HowardR, I was looking at the schematics last night. Am I wrong or doesn't the outhole switch open up the circuit that that motor switch controls. I know the outhole switch works because the outhole relay will not activate at startup until you put the ball in the outhole or push the switch together manually. Then when the ball kicks over or I release the switch the outhole relay keeps pulling. If this is not right please let me know. Thanks

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballman3:

doesn't the outhole switch open up the circuit that that motor switch controls.

There are multiple circuit that energize the Outhole relay. The Outhole switch initially activates the Outhole relay. Once that's done, a switch on the Outhole relay keeps it energized until that motor switch opens.

#16 5 years ago

HowardR, Thanks that switch was the problem. I will mark this post resolved and start a new post of my issue now. It will advance the ball count on a 1 player game just by scoring.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lincoln Park, NJ
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-grand-prix-trouble-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.