Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Chrisbee
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

looking for the easy answer i hope. when i press the start button the score motor starts running and the two stepper units on the bottom side of the playfield keep running and player 1 is scoring by the thousands. machine has not been plugged in in 20 yrs. have cleaned all steppers and contacts i can find. am i missing something simple? thanks in advance for the replys
Bob

#2 11 years ago
Quoted from bob1:

player 1 is scoring by the thousands.

You most likely have a switch on the Playfield that is closed that should be (NO) Normally Open. Look on your Playfield for what scores a 1000 points and that will lead you to the problem.

Ken

#4 11 years ago

thanks will do
bob

#5 11 years ago

Williams Start-Up Sequence.

When the start button is pressed, the credit unit is decremented. This is done through the credit unit zero position switch and the 2nd coin relay (and the ball count zero position switch).
The end of stroke (EOS) switch on the credit unit decrement coil will energize the coin relay.
The coin relay will trip the game over relay.
The coin relay will energize the reset relay. The score motor will run.
The reset relay will energize the ball count unit reset, through the score motor.
The reset relay energizes the 2nd coin relay latch and game over relay latch coils.
The reset relay will energize the score reset relays, through the score motor.
The score reel reset relays will zero the score reels, through the score motor. The score motor will continue to activate the score reset relays until all the score reels reach the zero position.
The reset relay activates the bonus unit coil until the bonus unit zero position switch is activated.
When the bonus relay drops out, the outhole relay is energized through a different bonus unit zero switch and score motor switch.
The outhole relay will run the score motor. The bonus unit will step up once. The ball will be kicked to the shooter lane.
To me it looks like a stuck reset relay? Pin-it

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from bob1:

and player 1 is scoring by the thousands

I would look closer at the 0 position switch on the 1000s unit

--Jeff

#7 11 years ago

Pin-it thanks. I think it is the bonus relay because it is 10,000 and not 1,000 (only 10,000's are the drains on right and left.
But I don't know which one that is. (Bonus relay)How to find that relay with no paper
Work. I am dumb
Thanks
Bob

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

I would look closer at the 0 position switch on the 1000s unit
--Jeff

Agreed..this is the most likely issue.

#9 11 years ago

The bo

Quoted from bob1:I think it is the bonus relay because it is 10,000 and not 1,000

(#1)I believe the location of what your looking for is at the rear of the playfield (underneath)there are six coil/relays (closest to the backbox) and look for the bonus contact that is either not separating or the armature plate is catawumbus (not allowing proper function

Quoted from bob1:But I don't know which one that is. (Bonus relay)How to find that relay with no paper
Work. I am dumb
Not really we all learn from just working on these em s its
just that they put the circuits in a little bit different location & function between models but you will figure it out . We all do. If that did not work (#1)Something i would try too is to disconnect the jones plug that operates the playfield circuitry thus separating that part of the equation as to narrow down your troubleshooting dilemma.

Quoted from bob1:

two stepper units on the bottom side of the playfield keep running

That has me a bit puzzled i will try to replicate on mine.

#10 11 years ago

On that jones plug disconnect procedure:

The one way to make sure that it is within the playfield circuit but i am sure that bonus relay is likely the problem. The OEM usually puts paper labels of the actual function of the coil/relay as long as the glue did not let go or someone removed them, you should have no problem. I just replicated the same thing & got your symptom also. Look REAL CLOSE at all contacts . If you can send photos it may help us a little bit better.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from bob1:

But I don't know which one that is. (Bonus relay)How to find that relay with no paper
Work.

You can download the manual and the Schematic here for free.

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=grand+prix&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#1072

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lincoln Park, NJ
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-grand-prix-trouble and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.