Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2360 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
GP eject (resized).JPG
#1 1 year ago

William's Gran Prix 1976 EM

The machine was gifted to a family member in a different city.
I don't have access to it until my next visit.

The current problem, I think, I foolishly didn't make a video,
is that when the ball falls into the top eject hole, the scoring motor starts and doesn't stop.
I think the bonus unit counts down correctly.

To prepare for my next visit and repair session, I am currently studying the schematics, and
this is how I interpret what I am seeing.

1. The ball falls into the top eject hole and closes the "top eject switch".
2. The closed "top eject switch" latches the "top eject relay".
3. The "top eject relay" energizes the "top eject coil", which kicks out the ball
and turns on the "score motor".
4. "Score motor" cam 4 switch D, "Make Break 4D", should pulse the "top eject coil" and
the left and right bonus score units.

If I remember correctly, the ball did not eject, so this is where I should look
first for a faulty switch.

If the ball does eject, I should check again to make sure the bonus score unit
zero position switch is working correctly. I think I already checked this.

Does that look right? Any other suggestions?

Does anyone have the equivalent of a "logic probe" that you hook up to relay contacts
to get a visual display of "energized"? Multimeter response seems slow for this.
I guess any 24v AC bulb would work.

#2 1 year ago

You're right - the Top Eject Coil isn't firing, so you have to figure out why. There are only 2 switches involved in firing the Top Eject Coil. In the snippet below, you can see those switches are the Motor 4D m/b switch, as you mentioned, and a switch on the Top Eject Relay.

Make sure the Top Eject Relay is firing when the ball sits in the top hole - that should close the switch in the snippet.

One of those 2 switches below isn't making a good electrical connection, or the coil is bad, or you have a break in the wiring somewhere. Start with checking those 2 switches carefully - use the wire color to identify which switches those are.

You don't need a logic probe for an EM....a couple 12-v auto lightbulbs wired in series will do better for you. And a plain ole jumper wire is great too. For example, if you jump across the Top Eject Re. switch in the snippet and the coil fires, then you know that's where the problem lies. Good luck!

GP eject (resized).JPGGP eject (resized).JPG

#3 1 year ago

Other things to check.
Manually push and hold in the top eject relay for a complete score motor cycle. Is scoring awarded and does kick coil operate?
Momentarily push the saucer hole switch. Watch top eject relay if it stays pulled in until cam 5 drops it’s switch stack to release the relay.
Clean and adjust switch 5B if needed.

#4 1 year ago

Thanks paulace and @pinballdaveh. Very helpful. I'll checkout these
suggestions on my next visit to the machine.

2 weeks later
#5 1 year ago

One more question for you Grand Prix guys. I am studying the schematic to try and figure out
what the lock relay does. I see the coil on the schematic at D-4, but I don't see any switch anywhere
on the schematic that is labeled as "Lock Relay". It must be there, I just can't find it.
Thanks

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from ddirector:

One more question for you Grand Prix guys. I am studying the schematic to try and figure out
what the lock relay does. I see the coil on the schematic at D-4, but I don't see any switch anywhere
on the schematic that is labeled as "Lock Relay". It must be there, I just can't find it.
Thanks

From the Grand Prix manual:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#7 1 year ago

Thanks so much, I just found that Game Over really on the schematic and now I see the Lock Relay switch
at C-17. Thanks @howardr.

#8 1 year ago

Duh! I just noticed in your picture, but never noticed in my own copy of the manual,
that the switch location C-17 is listed right there next to relay. Learn something new
every day. Thanks again.

4 months later
#9 1 year ago

Back to the Grand Prix. Playfield removed. On player 1 ball 1, pressing start game button does not advance two players. Doesn’t look lik game is started. Any ideas what to check?

1 year later
#10 26 days ago

Back on site, for the first time in a while.
1. Still have motor running after game is in “game over”
2. Also, hanging wire in back box near 1st player scoring wheels
Black w orange stripes, see picture. Can anyone identify this
From their grand prix?

Thanks

IMG_2360 (resized).jpegIMG_2360 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lincoln Park, NJ
Machine - For Sale
Burlington, VT

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-grand-prix-score-motor-keeps-running?hl=paulace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.