0Grand-Prix-Work-37 (resized).jpg
0Grand-Prix-Work-36 (resized).jpg
0Grand-Prix-pinside-A-Work-Save (resized).jpg
0Grand-Prix-Tilt-Relay-pinside-Work-01 (resized).jpg
IMG_0655 (resized).JPG
0Grand-Prix-Work-35 (resized).jpg
0Grand-Prix-pinside-A-Work (resized).jpg
Pinball (resized).png
0Grand-Prix-page-four-orpalis.pdf (PDF preview)
0Grand-Prix-Total-Sepia-orpalis.pdf (PDF preview)
IMG_0647 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HD_Fatboy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I have one score reel that is not resetting. The coil is not pulling in. The coil ohms match all the other coils.
How can I test the coil?

By the way switches are set correct I can manually take it to zero and it will end the reset process.

#3 6 years ago

Yes In have schematic and manual, I am going through all the score motor switches right now.

I am not far enough to play to see if the reels score. This pinball was a basket case. If I knew then (when I bought it) what I knew now,
I may have passed buying it. all The wires to one score reel had all the insulation burnt off.

The past 10 hours I worked on all the score reels cleaning and servicing, and finding wires off coils and switches.

#5 6 years ago

For some reason scoring is dead right now. No Flippers no scoring happening, not even manually.

#6 6 years ago

Made Some progress player unit needs attention, I got manual scoring to work, the coil works un scoring.

#7 6 years ago

Could it be Jones Plugs? flippers and Playfield still dead

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Sonora70:

Definitely check the jones plug and check your fuses to make sure you didn't blow one and didn't realize it. Is/was the game resetting to begin play if the score reels were set to 0?

Found the coil problem another cut wire hidden in the harness. Don't know why the previous owner did these things.

Now to figure out why flippers and playfield do not work.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from HD_Fatboy:

Now to figure out why flippers and playfield do not work.

Can anyone shed any light on these issues?
I have been through the manual and schematic for hours now.
I watched Steve Fury's Youtube video over and over again. It seems playfield switches are not activated.
Flippers do not work
game start switch does not work
game over never comes on

score reels zero out when I manually press reset relay.

I don't know where to turn at this time.

#12 6 years ago

When pin is turned off, and then turned on, every thing is at zero.

On the back glass.
First payer up light is lit
Ball in Play = 1
one to four can play =1

when coin relay is activated the score motor makes 1/2 revolution

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

Mike, I have this machine, but not the schematics. Can you post
a pic of the schematics?
Off the top of head, have you cleaned and properly adjusted the
contacts in the Tilt Relay (and maybe Game Over Relay also)..
Can you tell for sure that it hadn't remained on tilt after you were
able to get it to reset?

HI Tim,
cleaned and adjusted all relays according to the manual. I can manually cause a tilt manually with tilt relay.

Give me a few minutes to post schematics

#16 6 years ago

IMG_0646 (resized).JPGIMG_0646 (resized).JPG

IMG_0647 (resized).JPGIMG_0647 (resized).JPG

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

gently press the TRIP-Armature --- plug-in, toggle-on - question: Do You see by now "Game-Over" lit in the Backglass ?
What happens when You press the Credit-Button ? What happens when You manually activate the Coin-Relay ? Greetings Rolf
P.S.: I live in Switzerland, Europe --- it is a quarter to eleven at night --- pretty soon I will go to sleep.

Game over is lit
Credit Button = nothing
Coin Relay = nothing

Game over relay does not change.

#19 6 years ago

Hi HD_Fatboy +
here http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1072 we can make us a copy of the schematics and the manual.
No Luck - nothing happens - hmm. Tomorrow I will post a snippet of schematics with "stuff to do" - I hope You have some "Jumper-Wire with gator-clips at the ends" --- If You do not have: An insulated wire having bare ends to wrap around a solder-lug also works. Till tomorrow, greetings Rolf

Thanks Rolf

I have manual and schematics, and Jumper wires. I will watch tomorrow for what to try, Time difference will not put us on here at same time.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

When you manually activate the coin relay, does it go through the reset motions?
If not, how about if you manually activate the reset relay?

Coin Relay adds a player
Reset Relay goes through reset motiions

#23 6 years ago

Game Over is not latching I have to manually latch. Its like no power getting to the relays in bottom of cabinet. All relay switches are set correctly according to manual. and no power to flippers, and start button on cabinet. If that makes any sense.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Sonora70:

Test continuity across the wires on both sides of your fuses. Don't test on the fuse, test outside of it. We're trying to rule out bad fuse holders. It happens, just had it happen to me this week on a bally game.

Thanks for the suggestion, I did not test for this. Continuity good across wires.

#27 6 years ago

Thanks Rolf

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Diagnose this circuit to see why.

Thanks Howard, I will check that circuit when I get home after work.

#31 6 years ago

"Did the pin EVER fully run in Your possession" ?
Another thing I would like to know - Do You want proceed on AAA ? Or do You want to proceed on BBB ?
AAA: We start at the beginning and look through "Starting and then resetting ..."
BBB: You kind of start / reset by actuating the Reset-Relay - we then try to "get action on the Playfield ..."
Greetings Rolf

The pin never worked correctly 100% Left Kickout hole never kicked out ball, I never had it running long enough to fully evaluate the scoring.

I do not care on how to proceed AAA or BBB I will leave that up to you. I do however, would hope we get all issues resolved.

Now I have a very stupid question?

I am new to reading the schematics so please bear with me.

So I am looking for switch status on the coin relay Orange-Red Switch open. then to Game Over Relay open switch with same color wires?
Then to a switch on score motor cam (I will see if I can read on home schematic)?

I am just a little confused, because I see all these open switches, electric can not flow through all the open switches?

Like I said please be patient with me on this part of the trouble shooting.

#33 6 years ago

When I do this, The far right first two switches are arcing and chattering on the tilt relay but the flippers and pop bumpers are working

#34 6 years ago

I cleaned and adjusted tilt relay switches and now they do not arc and chatter. This test was a success.

#35 6 years ago

Rolf, I cleaned all the rest of the switches on the mechanism panel in bottom of cabinet. Now I turn on pin, and the credit/start button works.
when I push it the score motor pulses and the coin relay advances to player three. still game over switch is on. I manually set game over switch, and this causes the tilt relay to pull in. I can "force" the tilt relay open, and then I have flippers and bumpers.

I don't know if this helps or hurts us at this point, but I thought you should know.

#37 6 years ago

Hello Rolf,

I will try these things when I get home and post back my results.

#38 6 years ago

Rolf,

Just to clarify, Do I unsolder the two solid yellow and two solid red from tilt relay? I unsoldered the two yellow red from the tilt relay but still tilt is on??????

IMG_0655 (resized).JPGIMG_0655 (resized).JPG

#39 6 years ago

Never mind stupid me, unsolder wire from coil!!!!!! OK I fixed the other wire to switch I still have to manually latch game over relay then most of the playfield items work. back box says ball one two can play.

#40 6 years ago

OK something I see going on, when I press credit/start button game over relay not pull in and latch, reset relay does not pull in so scores and steppers do not reset. I then manually pull in reset relay and all items zero out, pin says ball 1 1 player can play. I can use flippers and score some points. when I trip out hole switch change relay pulls in and nothing else happens. two side holes appear to be the only things not working on playfield.

#43 6 years ago

Hello Rolf,

First off thanks again for helping. I am learning a lot now about EM Machines. I tried to do your above test on the latch relay. I must have been doing it wrong cause I kept blowing the fuse. So I concentrated on trouble shooting The Game Over Relay. I had concerns of a bad coil on the latch side or the trip side, so I jumperd to one side of the fuse holder just to get voltage to see if I could get both coils to "pull".

Both coils would pull in. As I was testing, and watching the switches on the game over relay, the last switch did not look quite correct to me. It supposed to be normaly closed, and it did look like it, but it was not. I powered down pin. I cleaned, filed, and adjusted this switch.

I turned pin back on. I pressed the credit/start button pin reset everything, and now outhole is also working. I simulated a 1 player game from ball 1 to game over. All scoring seemed to be correct with the exception of the left kickout. NO scoring and NO kick out.

I then simulated a 4 player game, it worked with a little help from me, because the stepper units still need work.
I am going to start a new thread about stepper units, because I have trouble with these on all games and all types.

#45 6 years ago

Hi Rolf,

Thanks again, some of this stuff is starting to make sense. Just need to study it over and over again.

#47 6 years ago

Hi HD_Fatboy
the "G H I J" stuff in the JPG in post-44 --- actually the "I" stuff --- the 20 Score-Drums to be resetted --- a long time ago I once tried to explain - there were 16 (not 20) Score-Drums to be resetted - want to read the "16 men sitting in a room (almost dark)" explanation: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-with-williams-dealers-choice#post-2541079 . Greetings Rolf

Hi Rolf,

16 men in a room with there flashlights is a very good read and analogy on how all the score drums need to reset. Everything appears to be working. I have coming, some new stepper unit spring kits to get my stepper units working correctly. The only thing left I need to fix is the left kickout hole. I don't know if it can be done now? or do I need to finish stepper units first.

#49 6 years ago

Thanks again Rolf, I really am thankful!

#51 6 years ago

Hi Rolf,

Thanks again,

When a ball lands in left hole, nothing happens. no scoring and no kickout. I check the switch directly under the hole and the contacts are being made when a ball is in the hole. I think it has something to do with the bonus units.

When ball lands in right hole both left and right hole fires there kickout coils and points are awarded.

#53 6 years ago

Hi HD-Fatboy
Lift the playfield - actuate the RIGHT Eject-Hole-Switch - see how the RIGHT Bonus Relay pulls-in ?
Wait till the right bonus is done - THEN try: Manually activate the LEFT Bonus Relay - what happens ? It is late again - till tomorrow, greetings Rolf

Hi Rolf,

Yes when RIGHT hole is actuated, RIGHT Bonus Relay pulls in.
When LEFT hole is actuated Left Bonus relay DOES NOT pull in.

I check switches and they seem correct. I do not know if this is related, but I notice change relay is always pulled in when pin has power.

#56 6 years ago

Hello Rolf,

As Always Thanks
I am currently at work, I will answer #54 and #55 when I get home, which is really close to your bedtime.
I also figured out, on the bonus relays I need to prepare some bonus points for testing, because the more bonus points the longer the relay is pulled in.

I will post in about 3 1/2 hours.

#57 6 years ago

Hi Rolf,

I did the tests, when I hold ball kickout switch, and try to force relay coil in to energize it does not work. when I hold it in for 5 seconds it still does not work.

When I put bonus points on pin, and than manually activate left bonus relay it stays energized until it count down the bonus points.

#58 6 years ago

Post #55 when I make 10's score the match unit steps up, it also release change relay at times.

#59 6 years ago

Rolf, Good News! for now pin seems to be 100% working. I cleaned and adjusted player unit for the third time (they say third time is a charm)
I also had to adjust switch on coin unit to coin up 4 players.

Thanks for all your posts in this I learned very much!

Lets hope it stays this way after I shop it

#60 6 years ago

Well, I shoppesd pin today, and when I was done deciding to play a game.

Left Kickout quit working again, and when game is done, and game over light is lit you can keep right on playing????????
and I don't think I got a match light at the end.

will be trying tio correct these things, if anyone has any suggestions I am all ears.

Thanks!

#61 6 years ago

OK game over relay latch coil is staying activated, even started to smoke.

#63 6 years ago

Hi Howard thanks, I check those switches, they seem OK
Question? After a game, is the game over latch coil supposed to stay energized?

Schematics show latch relay is con trolled by the lock relay, which is always on when pin is on

#65 6 years ago

Hi Rolf,

No Jumpers are installed at this time.

What would explain still being able to play pin in game over mode?

#67 6 years ago

I unsoldered the wire you requested me to unsolder. flippers and scoring still work, and without that wire, of course game never ends.

#68 6 years ago

I am sorry Rolf, It is the trip coil M-27-800 coil that is always pulling, Sorry I got my coil names wrong.

The manual says this coil should be M-29-1000 I do not know if this matters. I put the wire back on the latch relay coil.

#71 6 years ago

Rolf, Thanks so much, That switch was stuck. now working correctly. We are back to last problem. Left Kick out hole not always working.

Is this tied into the Left Bonus unit? Right now the advance coil is unsoldered and out of the pin. The metal sleeve inside the coil was stuck inside, and coil was not firing correctly. I have a new coil on order.

#73 6 years ago

Thanks Rolf, all you post is very good information, and educational. Do you know anything about shuffle bowlers, or only pins?

#75 6 years ago

Rolf, I will write when my parts come, hehehehe left kickout worked again one time, so I am not dreaming it happen.

#76 6 years ago

Rolf,

I got my parts, Took apart bonus unit and cleaned, reset wiper fingers, and now kickout hole works every time.

Thanks many times over for all your help. How do you mark thread as solved?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 12.00
1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lincoln Park, NJ

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HD_Fatboy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-grand-prix-one-score-reel-not-reseting?tu=HD_Fatboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.