20221002_171635 (resized).jpg
20220917_152148 (resized).jpg
392 (resized).jpg
11EDB49B-587D-48D2-8AE1-C3757F64F068 (resized).jpeg
24 (resized).jpg
79 (resized).jpg
86F09576-16EE-4013-BBE6-F5E19A5670AA (resized).jpeg
8CF9AAC6-5FA6-4E02-837C-2E68A6C1A444 (resized).jpeg

There are 248 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 4 years ago

To play a properly operating Grand Prix is a joy. This machine is the closest an EM ever got to SS performance, with a myriad of devices replacing an MPU. At first I thought it boring, compared to the other EMs I had it was just too smooth.
Yeah, the spinner on the Left was problematic with the ill-secured Plastic interfering with it's rotation.
This one had two banks of rat-chewed Relay wiring when I found it. Grand Prix requires meticulous Service on ALL relays, steppers and switches.
My current Favorite, it is really a remarkable achievement from Willliams though complicated.

2 weeks later
#152 4 years ago

I’m the proud new owner of #Grand Prix 285967. It’s my first pinball machine! Is it normal to turn it on just to admire it’s glowing beautiful-ness?

E3C8DE94-3C06-4470-A9DE-2AF38F83BB2C (resized).jpegE3C8DE94-3C06-4470-A9DE-2AF38F83BB2C (resized).jpeg
#153 4 years ago

Looks Bona Fide! A Contender.

#154 4 years ago
Quoted from howlndog:

I’m the proud new owner of #Grand Prix 285967. It’s my first pinball machine! Is it normal to turn it on just to admire it’s glowing beautiful-ness?[quoted image]

Congrats! It looks great!

#155 4 years ago
Quoted from howlndog:

I’m the proud new owner of #Grand Prix 285967. It’s my first pinball machine! Is it normal to turn it on just to admire it’s glowing beautiful-ness?[quoted image]

Normal? Probably not. Acceptable from your fellow pinheads?? HELL YEAH!

Congrats on this crazy world of pinball ownership. Hope you've made room for the second one coming. Oh you didn't know you had another one coming? yeah I was there too

#156 4 years ago

I was recently contracted to make this replacement translite as the original was just a bit faded.

Grand Prix FINAL print this file (resized).jpgGrand Prix FINAL print this file (resized).jpg20200102_124114 (resized).png20200102_124114 (resized).png
#158 4 years ago

The actual print should be here on Wednesday, I'll put up a few more images of the actual results.

#159 4 years ago

Thank you for being a resource for this great pin.

#160 4 years ago

Some of the end result, just don't have the machine to show these off in...

20200129_135221 (resized).jpg20200129_135221 (resized).jpg20200130_110053 (resized).jpg20200130_110053 (resized).jpg20200130_110111 (resized).jpg20200130_110111 (resized).jpg20200130_110131 (resized).jpg20200130_110131 (resized).jpg20200130_110143 (resized).jpg20200130_110143 (resized).jpg
#161 4 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Some of the end result, just don't have the machine to show these off in...[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

How do you deal with the hidden text such as the match numbers or "game over"?
Do you have an other translite printed with only the mask?

#162 4 years ago
Quoted from Fred736:

How do you deal with the hidden text such as the match numbers or "game over"?
Do you have an other translite printed with only the mask?

No, another translite with the mask would double the cost. I apply a vinyl reverse cut masking layer. Here is an example of a Trident I'm finishing. Note however it this one the text was so small I had to just cut circles, ovals or squares around text that was printed onto the translite.
Grand Prix on the other hand had text large enough that my Cameo could cut them out of the mask, I did NOT have to have them printed on the translite for it. A much better, more closely match to the original.
Unfortunately on Grand Prix, my customer was wanting it so fast I did not get a chance to take images of the back side.

As with most things pinball restoration related, these are projects of love, not profit!
20200131_120504 (resized).jpg20200131_120504 (resized).jpg

Oh, here you go, here is a Wild Fyre I'm re-doing for another customer, you can see the High game to date, Match etc are cut in the vinyl.
These are STILL printed on the translite for this one, but could have been eliminated. Just Customer preference.

20200131_121728 (resized).jpg20200131_121728 (resized).jpg20200131_122618 (002) (resized).jpg20200131_122618 (002) (resized).jpg
1 week later
#163 4 years ago

Been a while since I've updated my thread on the resto of ours, but here's the latest pic of where I am so far.

IMG_20200112_182334188_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20200112_182334188_HDR (resized).jpg

I'm looking to make a new backglass for it with a little tweaking of the colors to match the colors we used on the cabinet.
Our's is just shot!

IMG_20190424_214340471 (resized).jpgIMG_20190424_214340471 (resized).jpg

I love Atari_Daze's method to make a translite, and am trying to learn how to proceed.

-Paul

6 months later
#164 3 years ago

I'm working on placing another order to send to my printer for translites, I've got one so far but for each other one, we can save $10 shipping... PM for further details. Here is a list of what I have re-created thus far;

Abra Ca Dabra
Dragon
Grand Prix
Laser Ball
Motordome
Magic (Stern)
Trident
Wild Fyre

I can do others if I have a scan to work from.

3 months later
#165 3 years ago

Joined the club with my $100 GP. It was being used as a decoration in a vacation home. Cleaned up nice!

PXL_20201212_054324263 (resized).jpgPXL_20201212_054324263 (resized).jpg
#166 3 years ago

I looked over my Williams Grand Prix manual and attempted to find the part via Williams parts manual from Planetary Pinball, with no success. It is a spring that is on the spinner unit. Part number and where I could purchase would be greatly appreciated. Ripping the spinner without this assembly working correctly is frustrating. Pictures below.
82159E67-9B78-4884-8487-746FA5670E0C (resized).jpeg82159E67-9B78-4884-8487-746FA5670E0C (resized).jpeg
873A763C-3FBD-4E38-8EA5-FAD070DDC8AE (resized).jpeg873A763C-3FBD-4E38-8EA5-FAD070DDC8AE (resized).jpeg
388D3127-113A-47FF-AAAE-084BD2294B82 (resized).jpeg388D3127-113A-47FF-AAAE-084BD2294B82 (resized).jpeg

#168 3 years ago
Quoted from fabsj82:

Joined the club with my $100 GP. It was being used as a decoration in a vacation home. Cleaned up nice!
[quoted image]

Nice home decoration, but it deserves better! Nice find!

#169 3 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

Have you called PBR?

I was able to get the part number...now time to place an order

#170 3 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Part number and where I could purchase would be greatly appreciated.

I just got one for my match unit on mine. The only place that had them in stock was https://www.flippers.com/

#171 3 years ago
Quoted from fabsj82:

I just got one for my match unit on mine. The only place that had them in stock was https://www.flippers.com/

Thank you

#172 3 years ago

Picked up a Grand Prix yesterday to give to my kids at Christmas. It was a little dirty and some lights are out, but otherwise in good shape. One thing I noticed yesterday after getting it in out basement was that you can play 1 player and it scores fine. However, if you pick 2, 3, or 4 players it always cycles and scores 4 players. Any thoughts on where to start for that? I'll post some pictures once I get it cleaned up and waxed.

#173 3 years ago
PXL_20201218_010804411 (resized).jpgPXL_20201218_010804411 (resized).jpgPXL_20201218_010829226 (resized).jpgPXL_20201218_010829226 (resized).jpgPXL_20201218_010838635 (resized).jpgPXL_20201218_010838635 (resized).jpg
#174 3 years ago

Still can't figure out the number of players issue. It still wants to only play either a 1 player or 4 player game (for 2, 3, and 4 play options). I've checked, cleaned, and put dielectric grease on the player wheel. I've cleaned the jones plugs in the back cabinet. Checked for loose and/or broken wires and connections. Everything else is cleaned up and working well. I just can't figure out how to get it to play a 2 or 3 player game. I wonder if the springs on the player wheel are worn. Any ideas?

#175 3 years ago

On my phone and remote so it’ll be tough for me to help.
Can you describe the symptoms a little better.
Sounds like 1 player works fine.
4 player also works fine?
For a 2 or 3 player game, are the scores just rotating though all the score windows or is it actually playing a 4 player game?

Play each scenario game all the way through and count the number of balls that are played. 2 and 3 players should be 10 and 15 not 20 like a 4 player.

Are the balls played lights correct?

Separately, lift RH pf and watch what happens when the outhole is triggered. All the way through to the player unit.

Have you simulated advancing the player unit with your finger to see what happens?

When you cleaned did you confirm the staring position on the player unit sweeper and observe how it moves forward and return. You need to make sure all the units are centered properly. This is a common issue on all the units.

Do you have schematics and can you follow the diagram for the end of ball sequence.

Report back, or better yet create a new thread so you may get a bigger audience to help.

#176 3 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

On my phone and remote so it’ll be tough for me to help.
Can you describe the symptoms a little better.
Sounds like 1 player works fine.
4 player also works fine?
For a 2 or 3 player game, are the scores just rotating though all the score windows or is it actually playing a 4 player game?
Play each scenario game all the way through and count the number of balls that are played. 2 and 3 players should be 10 and 15 not 20 like a 4 player.
Are the balls played lights correct?
Separately, lift RH pf and watch what happens when the outhole is triggered. All the way through to the player unit.
Have you simulated advancing the player unit with your finger to see what happens?
When you cleaned did you confirm the staring position on the player unit sweeper and observe how it moves forward and return. You need to make sure all the units are centered properly. This is a common issue on all the units.
Do you have schematics and can you follow the diagram for the end of ball sequence.
Report back, or better yet create a new thread so you may get a bigger audience to help.

I created a new thread here.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-grand-prix-multi-player-issue-help

#177 3 years ago

Absolutely love this game! I wish I could find someone selling one!!

4 weeks later
#178 3 years ago

I joined the club over the weekend. It had lots of issues I wasn't told about when I bought it and it was already broken down so i couldn't test but i worked on it all weekend and fixed them all except the flippers needed rebuilt. I ordered the parts for that. Also needs a good cleaning. But should turn out good when done.

20210116_191148 (resized).jpg20210116_191148 (resized).jpg
#179 3 years ago

One question on the game. It seems the switch that is on the upper left lane past the spinner has just one purpose and that is to tilt the game if it is the first switch hit. Does it do anything else?

#180 3 years ago
Quoted from kguenther6:

One question on the game. It seems the switch that is on the upper left lane past the spinner has just one purpose and that is to tilt the game if it is the first switch hit. Does it do anything else?

What I learned is that switch was placed there to apparently prevent people from lifting the one way gate at the end of the ball arch which would have sent the ball thru the spinner lane right off the shooter shot.

Story goes that this gate is liftable by using a magnet. Tried it. Didn't manage to get it to workbon my machine.
Maybe a neodymium magnet would do it.
However don't think there were many of those readily available to teens back in the late 70s...

And the marginal gain doesn't seem to me like it was worth the risk of being caught by the operator....

Ssso it seems almost like a really paranoid addition to an already complex game.

If anybody else has another explanation to why that tilt switch was placed there, I'd love to hear about it.

1 week later
#181 3 years ago

I have rebuilt the flippers on mine. But I didn't replace the coils. The hold side of the coils seem weak. When the flippers are in the up position and the ball comes down and hits the flippers they will give a little until the high power side kicks in and then kick the ball back up. Does anyone else have this issue? Is there a coil with a stronger hold side that can be put in? The high power is plenty strong enough. It's just the hold side that is the issue.

Edit: I can't find a higher power coil to put in it. But last night I adjusted the EOS switch on both flippers. I usually have the switch adjusted so it has a 1/8 inch gap when it opens. I closed the gap so that it is about 1/32 inch. It still has a bounce back when the ball hits the flippers when they are up but it isn't nearly as bad as it was. I would still like to get a coil with a stronger hold side but at least it's playable now.

1 week later
#182 3 years ago

Hi!
Recently got hold of a grand prix that i’am trying to bring back to life.

Got a question regarding one of the stepper units in the bottom of the cab.
The second stepper unit, the coin unit(?)

Should the switch be open or closed in the reset position?

Hope someone with a working Grand Prix can help me out here

#183 3 years ago
8CF9AAC6-5FA6-4E02-837C-2E68A6C1A444 (resized).jpeg8CF9AAC6-5FA6-4E02-837C-2E68A6C1A444 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#184 3 years ago

Anyone Have a Grand Prix Manual you want to sell?

4 months later
#185 2 years ago

Hi there.
I just joined the club, and I'm excited to be here! This is a great game.
I posted this message elsewhere, with only one response, but I'm hoping for an assist from you folks.
I'm cleaning up a Grand Prix (it was a real mess) for a friend. When I got it, it turned on but that was all. I've gotten it to ALMOST 100%. BUT (there's always a but) I've stared at these two glitches so long now that I can't see the forest for the trees. At startup, and every ball after, the left bonus double clutches and starts off at 10,000. I've also noticed that when I hit the left outlane, or the left side Advance Bonus sling, the outhole kicker cycles (as if it was serving up another ball). They both advance the Bonus one step, as they should. If you collect the left bonus during a ball, the bonus resets as it should, no double clutch.
I'm convinced this is a simple fix, and they are probably related to each other, but it's eluding me. I've traced back through every circuit I can find, but no luck.
I look forward to someone making me say "DUH"!
Jim

#186 2 years ago

I will start with your outhole Solenoid being activated with the left outlane and left advance bonus sling.

There are 2 switches, in series, that must close to activate the Outhole solenoid.

#1 is on the Make-or-Break on the Outhole Relay

#2 is motor cam switch 4-A

I have a question for you. If you activate the score motor (during an active game without the ball in the outhole) does the outhole solenoid activate?

If it does then the Switch on your outhole relay is most likely closed when it should be open.

Let me know what you find.

2 weeks later
#187 2 years ago

Picking up a beautiful HUO Grand Prix tomorrow but have to get it up a flight of stairs. Any advice?

Also, owner is not sure how to remove the head. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

#188 2 years ago
Quoted from TheShadowsNose:

Picking up a beautiful HUO Grand Prix tomorrow but have to get it up a flight of stairs. Any advice?
Also, owner is not sure how to remove the head. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Head has four jones plugs and four bolts, easy removal. Head is pretty heavy so have someone to help.

#189 2 years ago

Find a few good friends.

3 months later
#190 2 years ago

Converting to Led...Anyone know off hand how many nonghosting and regular bulbs i would need?

#191 2 years ago

Thanks!

Sorry I missed this, but how did it end up going?

When I moved mine up some narrow stairs, I ended up removing the PF + Glass first and taking those separately. That made it much more manageable

#192 2 years ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

Converting to Led...Anyone know off hand how many nonghosting and regular bulbs i would need?

You don’t need non-ghosting LEDs for an EM. They are all switch driven and will not ghost.

#193 2 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

You don’t need non-ghosting LEDs for an EM. They are all switch driven and will not ghost.

Good point. I think a lot of people see the flicker and think about ghosting, but it is different on EMs.

Best explanation I have seen thus far is due to the insulation and the way the wires are clustered, and perhaps other ways in the circuit where a small amount of power could leak through.. grease in steppers? I don't know exactly.. just that I've noted some slight flicker on many machines... particularly on controlled lamps when scoring etc.

#194 2 years ago
Quoted from koji:

Good point. I think a lot of people see the flicker and think about ghosting, but it is different on EMs.
Best explanation I have seen thus far is due to the insulation and the way the wires are clustered, and perhaps other ways in the circuit where a small amount of power could leak through.. grease in steppers? I don't know exactly.. just that I've noted some slight flicker on many machines... particularly on controlled lamps when scoring etc.

Whether we call it ghosting or not, non ghosting bulbs fix this issue and eliminate it completely. Any insert bulb and any bulb in the head that is not always on needs a non ghosting bulb in order to not have this filcker. I tried regular bulbs in my first EM LED conversion and tons of them flickered like crazy while the game was scoring, moving relays and steppers, etc. At the recommendation of a buddy, I put in non ghosting LEDs and the issue went away.

1 week later
#195 2 years ago

So i switched to leds in the game...the playfield inserts for when you hit the spinners are not lighting very much at all when u rip the spinner...any thoughts on this?

2 weeks later
#196 2 years ago

I've done okay solving issues up to this point but I'm stuck on this one. If I complete both uppers or both lower drop targets the whole thing resets and awards a star below. If I only do one lower and one upper it works as it should. Can anybody point me in the right direction to be looking. Thanks

#197 2 years ago
Quoted from fabsj82:

I've done okay solving issues up to this point but I'm stuck on this one. If I complete both uppers or both lower drop targets the whole thing resets and awards a star below. If I only do one lower and one upper it works as it should. Can anybody point me in the right direction to be looking. Thanks

Mine functions the exact same as yours in the video

#198 2 years ago
Quoted from fabsj82:

That’s the way the game is supposed to work. Stars are awarded with the AB or CD pair dropped. One target from each pair does nothing.

86F09576-16EE-4013-BBE6-F5E19A5670AA (resized).jpeg86F09576-16EE-4013-BBE6-F5E19A5670AA (resized).jpeg
3 weeks later
#199 2 years ago

Just made a trip to Ohio and bought a damaged Grand Prix as a parts machine. I will be using it as back up parts for my restored machine.

#200 2 years ago

If there’s a part you are looking for let me know

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
1,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlington, VT
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods
Hardware
1,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lincoln Park, NJ
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 248 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-grand-prix-fan-club/page/4?hl=phil-lee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.